Home My YFS

Silky Stenhousemuir see off Saints

Alloa Saints 1

Lee 21

Stenhousemuir Community F.C. 4

Daramola 35, 45, 49, Rintoul 57
  • Saturday, 21 March 2015
  • West End Park, Alloa
  • Under 14´s
  • FVFDA League Cup

Adam Brown | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio Articles by Author | [email protected]

Stenhousemuir Community Club earned a hard-fought League Cup section stage victory against Alloa Saints on Saturday. Saints started strongly in the first half, settling into their rhythm quicker than the visitors. They took the lead mid-way through the first half, with standout player Jamie Lee scrambling home from close range.  However, Stenhousemuir equalised on the stroke of half time through a Tiwi Daramola penalty and went on to earn a 4-1 victory with 2 more goals from Daramola and a Max Rintoul strike capping off a well-earned victory.
Although the weather conditions were perfect for football, the bumpy playing surface proved difficult for Stenhousemuir to adapt to in the early stages. The home side looked to take advantage of this, applying good pressure on the Stenhousemuir defenders as they attempted to play out from the back.
Saints had the better of the early exchanges, with Lee getting involved and pulling the strings at every opportunity. He seemed to be everywhere in the opening 20 minutes, linking up well with striker Ross Gilvear in particular.
However, the first real chance fell to the away side, with a ball over the Saints defence sending Mitchell Wallace through on goal. Saints goalkeeper Charles Dawson was off his line quickly and made himself big to foil Wallace’s effort on goal, and recovered his position well to save the rebound from Jake Shearer. 
Stenhousemuir continued to grow into the game and came close to taking the lead. Ross Buchanan was unlucky to miss the target after meeting a dangerous corner kick from Jack Donaldson at the back post.
The visitors went close again soon after when Stenhousemuir standout Daramola beat the offside trap to get on the end of a through pass by Shearer. Once again, Dawson was off his line quickly, this time forcing Daramola to place his lobbed effort just over the bar.
Lee continued to be at the heart of the action for Saints, showing some clever footwork to open up an opportunity for a long range shot which resulted in a routine save for Robbie Lyall in the Stenhousemuir goal.
Daramola proved difficult to deal with for the Saints defenders, winning several free kicks during the course of the game in various areas of the pitch. Donaldson’s quality of set piece was excellent, and he was unfortunate not to find a teammate or the far corner of the goal from 25 yards after Daramola was brought down on the right flank.
Saints continued to apply high pressure to the visitors, and it nearly paid off when Martin Ramage won the ball near the edge of the Stenhousemuir box, laying it off to Breandan McDade who was unlucky to see his cross flash past his teammates as well as the far post.
Saints’ strong start was rewarded midway through the first half. Inevitably, Lee was at the heart of the action, winning a corner and scoring from the resulting delivery. The ball was whipped in to the 6-yard box, and Lee was able to divert the ball home in the ensuing scramble after the visitors were unable to clear their lines.
Lee could have doubled his tally for the day soon after when he got on the end of an Aiden Turner free kick from deep, but he was unable to get the correct contact on the ball to divert it goalward.
Saints looked dangerous from throw-ins throughout the first half, and had another opportunity to extend their lead; this time through Aiden Cruickshank. After a long throw-in evaded Lyall due to a difficult bounce at the front post, the ‘keeper recovered well to stop Cruickshank from taking advantage.
The home side had yet another chance to make it 2-0 before the break. Stenhousemuir’s corner kick was collected calmly by Saints ‘keeper Dawson, who sent Gilvear through on goal straight from his long kick. However, he shot wide after showing great pace to get himself clear of the visitors’ defence.
Soon after, Saints were made to pay for not taking their chances as they were pegged back on the stroke of half time. Daramola was played through over the top once again, using his pace to great effect to beat a fully committed Dawson to the ball and win a penalty from the resulting coming together. The pacey forward stepped up to take the penalty and slotted it home confidently to Dawson’s left, sending his side in level at half time after an entertaining first period.
  • Half Time:
  • Alloa Saints
  • 1-1
  • Stenhousemuir Community F.C.
Daramola’s late equaliser in the first half seemed to motivate his side, as they came out firing straight away after the break.  A long ball towards Daramola in the opening minute nearly resulted in the visitors taking the lead, but Dawson was in the way once again.
Saints returned fire soon after when Turner intercepted a Lyall goal kick and fired wide from distance after showing good skill to evade 3 challenges in the centre of midfield.
The personal battle between Daramola and Dawson was a recurring theme throughout, and it was continued when the forward latched on to yet another ball in behind the Saints defence.  However, it was the goalkeeper who came out on top this time, standing his ground and saving 1-on-1 to prevent his side from falling behind.
Saints midfielder Lee had been taken off on the half hour mark, and was reintroduced early in the second half. It didn’t take him long to get back into the heart of the action as he shot wide from the edge of the area after cleverly creating space for himself.
However, it was the visitors who had the clearer chances and it wasn’t long before they created another. Daramola was involved once again with a lovely turn in the midfield before moving it on to Wallace. An inch-perfect through ball sent Rintoul through on goal but the winger was unable to hit the target, firing into the side netting at the near post.
Despite this, Stenhousemuir were able to extend their lead soon after. Balls in behind the Saints defence were the primary source of success for the visitors, and Daramola was able to grab his second of the game with a perfectly weighted lob over a helpless Dawson after Lyall’s long kick was flicked on, putting the forward clean through on goal.
The home side looked to respond quickly to level the scores, but were frustrated once more when Gilvear’s 1-on-1 effort was saved by Lyall and Andrew Currie was unable to convert the rebound from outside the area.
Once again, the home side were made to pay for not being able to take their chances.  Inevitably, it was Daramola who inflicted the damage, completing an outstanding hattrick.  Donaldson delivered a long, high ball in the heart of the Saints’ penalty area from a free kick at the half way line, and Daramola found himself unmarked and placed a beautiful looping header into the far corner, leaving Dawson with no chance.
The tempo of the game slowed down somewhat after Daramola’s third goal, with chances few and far between to a large extent for the remainder of the game.
Lee continued to try to make things happen for Saints, forcing a sharp save out of Lyall from a tight angle.
However, the home side’s chances were effectively dashed soon after when Buchanan slipped a defence-splitting ball through to Rintoul, who was able to slide the ball under an onrushing Dawson to make it 4-1 to the visitors.
Turner looked lively for Saints in the second half, showing good skill and control in the midfield. He went close with two free kicks in the last 10 minutes, both of which went just over the crossbar.
Saints will inevitably feel hard done-by as they were unfortunate not to go into half time with their lead intact after an excellent first half performance.  However, the pace and quality of Daramola was a constant thorn in their side and Donaldson controlled the midfield in the second half, giving the away side the edge in a very competitive contest.
Saints’ will look to bounce back and build on the positives from Saturday’s performance in their next League Cup section match away from home against Stirling City FC.
Stenhousemuir will be aiming to use this victory as a building block for success when they visit Dunblane Soccer Club City in their next section match.
  • Full Time:
  • Alloa Saints
  • 1-4
  • Stenhousemuir Community F.C.


Alloa Saints
Stenhousemuir Community F.C.
1. Charles Dawson
2. Jamie Alexander Paterson
3. Robert Henderson
4. Michael Dryden
6. Andrew Currie
7. Breandan McDade
9. Aiden Cruickshank
11. Aiden Turner
12. Kyle Rogerson
15. Josh McCallum
16. Ross Gilvear
17. Martin Ramage
20. Kieran Gallagher
21. Jamie Lee
1. Robbie Lyall
2. Logan Smith
3. Cameron Dick
6. Jack Donaldson
7. Dylan Young
8. Jake Shearer
9. Andrew Fleming
10. Kyle Millar
11. Tiwi Daramola
12. Ross Buchanan
14. Blair Hume
15. Jack Stevenson
16. Kieran McKinnon
18. Mitchell Wallace
19. Nathan Cowan
20. Max Ritoul
Star Player
Alloa Saints
Stenhousemuir Community F.C.
Jamie Lee - Incredibly industrious and skillful performance. He was at the heart of everything for Saints, always looked dangerous when he was on the ball and scored their only goal. Charles Dawson was a close second as he made several great saves in 1-on-1 situations and dealt with corner kicks and loose balls in his box calmly and effectively.
Tiwi Daramola - Was a constant threat all game with his pace and skill. His hattrick displayed his wide range of skills: pace to win the penalty and composure to convert it, outstanding finesse to lob the 'keeper for his 2nd goal, and impressive heading ability for his 3rd.
Magic Moment
Alloa Saints
Stenhousemuir Community F.C.
Aiden Turner and in particular, Jamie Lee, showed clever dribbling skill to beat players and then great confidence to shoot from range on several occasions: unlucky to not come to anything.
Daramola's perfectly placed lobbed finish for his 2nd goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments