Home My YFS

Jerviston BC lift LFDA Cup with victory over Larkhall

Larkhall United 0

Jerviston BC 1

Marshall, 64
  • Sunday, 31 May 2015
  • K-Park Training Academy
  • Under 14´s

Euan Strathearn | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Jerviston got their hands on the LFDA Cup after a battling encounter against a resilient Larkhall side.

A late Kian Marshall tap-in was enough to separate the sides and take the cup home to Motherwell.

Jerviston had recorded 26 goals in the previous four rounds and their attacking prowess was evident right from the beginning. Ryan Mimnaugh came close before Mitchell Clark's dipping 25-yard effort went inches over the bar.

Mid-way though the half, Marshall found himself in plenty of space before unleashing a wicked shot from outside the box stinging the palms of Samuel Danks for the first time.

Larkhall captain Lewis Paterson  was fast becoming an important figure in the match, making vital interventions to deny a dangerous Jerviston side more goalscoring opportunities.

The team in orange had their first shot on target on the half-hour mark. Derrin Cross' tame shot lacking the power needed to trouble Ben McDougal.

Samuel Danks was called into action again seconds before half-time, Mimnaugh played in Nathan McConnell whose curling effort was turned past the post by Danks.

Chances were few and far between in this tightly contested affair at K-park, only three shots on target were recorded as referee March Lester blew his whistle for half time.

  • Half Time:
  • Larkhall United
  • 0-0
  • Jerviston BC

Jerviston retained their momentum after the break. McConnell's direct running nearly brought its reward when his link-up play with Marshall caused mayhem in the Larkhall box before Paterson managed to hook the ball clear of danger.

There was an intriguing battle beginning to develop between the skillful McConnell and the tough-tackling Paterson. Seven minutes into the half a penalty claim was waved away as the two collided inside the Larkhall penalty area.

Larkhall were growing increasingly frustrated and were unable to create any clear chances due to the intensity of the Jerviston pressure.

Jerviston mounted attack after attack with only the instinctive reflex saves from Danks denying them a goal.

Dylan Brannan's corner kick led to ping-pong style chaos in the box, Danks repelling shots from Mimnaugh and Marshall, miraculously keeping the scores level.

Marshall was Jerviston's biggest threat, and with just five minutes remaining, he tapped in a low fizzed cross from Kieran Lawson to put his side 1-0 up.

Larkhall tried everything they could to get themselves back into the game, but it was a case of too little too late and Jerviston were deserved winners.

  • Full Time:
  • Larkhall United
  • 1-0
  • Jerviston BC


Larkhall United
Jerviston BC
1.Samuel Danks
3.Jack McKitting
4.Callum Miller
5.Lee Moore
6.Derrin Cross
7.Christopher Lightbody
8.Jason Alexander
9.Marc Semple
10.Tomie Forsyth
14.Fraser Coutts
17.Riyad Nabi
23.Lewis Paterson
24.Euan Taylor
25.Scott Campbell
1.Ben McDougal
2.Dylan Brannan
5.Dylan Hefferman
6.Kieran Lawson
7.Nathan McConnell
8.Matthew Sinclair
10.Ryan Mimnaugh
11.Mitchell Clark
13.Reece Cathcart
16.Cameron Baird
20.Dean Bell
21.Stephen Devlin
22. Luke Higgins
23.Kian Marshall
25.David Sinclair
29.Robbie Duddy
35.Jamie Duddy
Star Player
Larkhall United
Jerviston BC
Lewis Paterson - A real captain's performance. He won almost every 50-50 and kept his side in the game. He was able to break up Jerviston's attacking play and ease the pressure on his side - a very important player for Larkhall.
Kian Marshall - A very energetic performance. He was a constant threat with his pace and link-up play and his goal ultimately was the deciding factor in a very close encounter.
Magic Moment
Larkhall United
Jerviston BC
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments