Print this page

East Kilbride win Glasgow and District title after victory over Harmony Row

Written by  East Kilbride

Fixture: East Kilbride FC v Harmony Row
Competition: Glasgow and District under-17 League
Venue: K Park
Date: Thursday 11 June, 2015

East Kilbride FC under-17’s defeated Harmony Row to claim the Glasgow & District U-17 League title at K-Park on Thursday night, in a thrilling league decider.

Late goals from Gavin Millar and Ryan White were enough on a memorable night for Kilby, marking a terrific conclusion to a memorable season.

Graeme Mullin’s men went into the game knowing that a draw would be good enough to secure the title, with Harmony Row needing a victory, and a tense first half saw little in the way of chances, with EK coming closest on the half hour, but Tommy Marshall’s effort was blocked by the excellent Kieran Beaton, and half time arrived with the game goalless.

Half Time: East Kilbride FC 0-0 Harmony Row
The visitors came agonisingly close to taking the lead five minutes after the restart, when Michael Symington’s brilliant run and pass set up Asa Wilson, but Brad Main in the EK goal saved well to divert the effort onto the post.
The Kilby keeper and  back line were in inspired form to prevent an excellent Row side from many clear cut openings, and EK began to assert themselves in a frantic final quarter, which saw the game swing from end-to-end.
The first goal was always going to be crucial, and the home side were rewarded for their persistence 15 minutes from time.  The energetic Liam Craig burst through the Row defence, but his shot was saved well by Andrew Crawford.  However the quick thinking midfielder reacted first  to scoop the ball back across the goal, and substitute Millar capped a fine performance to volley home from close range.
The visitors then went for broke to try and get back into the game, and Kilby made use of the wide spaces of K-Park to secure the match, and title, four minutes from the end.  Wing-wizard Millar worked wonders on the right before being upended, but a good advantage rule from the officials allowed Craig to burst through again, and his cross landed at the feet of White, who made no mistake to slam home from eight yards to claim his 47th goal of the season, and the secure the title for East Kilbride.
The final whistle sparked scenes of celebration for the fledging Kilby side, who added the League Championship to the Glasgow City Cup, won in August.
Despite the high stakes, the game was played in a fantastic spirit by both sets of players, and Harmony Row deserve special praise for their contribution to a memorable season.
Full Time: East Kilbride FC 2-0 Harmony Row

Related items

Login to post comments