Home My YFS

Cup holders are out as Rossvale reach semi final

Crosshouse BC 2

Smith 61', Mason 75'

Rossvale BC 3

Holland 45', Glover 49', McCrae 68'
  • Sunday, 07 February 2016
  • Stewarton Sports Club
  • Under 16´s
  • SYFA Cup - Quarter Final

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

The reigning holders bowed of this year’s competition as the visitors marched on to the semis with this hard fought but deserved win. It was a match that really only sprang to life in a five goal second half, as both sides tried to counter the swirling elements as well as each other.

The weather really wasn’t suited to the high ball, and this is perhaps how the match was eventually won. Crosshouse are used to playing football on the deck but their opponents were quick to unsettle them and force the long speculative ball, playing right into their hands. The holders weren’t at their best, and it was a day where they had to be on their A game against quick and skilful opponents.

In the tight goalless first half, both sides had cancelled each other out in a congested midfield. Neither side was getting time on the ball, with the ball spending a lot of time in the air.

Both sides looked more dangerous when they got the ball wide. Christopher Law gave Crosshouse’s some early promise with his tricky runs and even got into the box to force a first save from Pierce Finnie on 10 minutes.

At the other end Robbie Brown and Chritopher McLeod  were trying to build the play and supply the ammo for Callum Holland up front. Rossvale began to string some passes together, and they got some joy from the high ball too. Rob Fowler's floated free kick held up in the wind and almost caught out the home defence, with Keir Thomson almost taking advantage but heading wide on 24 minutes.

At the other end Crosshouse looked for a response and were pressing in midfield to try and carve out their own opportunities. They were denied by a fine double stop on 28 minutes, as Finnie saved first from Smith's powerful free kick, and then Bailey McClure's rebound to keep the sides level. 

For all Crosshouse's efforts though, Rossvale continued to build momentum, particularly when getting the ball wide and encouraging their full backs to get forward. Ryan Martin was linking up well with Holland down the right, with the latter setting up Brown with a header inside the box on 32 minutes, but he couldn’t test Jamie Wilson in the home goal.

There wasn’t much to choose between the sides as half time approached. The holders always looked more lively when they could get Smith on the ball, and he almost had Law thorough on goal, but Finnie  was quick rush out and block, with the referee waving away calls for a penalty.

  • Half Time:
  • Crosshouse BC
  • 0-0
  • Rossvale BC

Both sides had struggled with the windy conditions but something had to give in the second half, and the first goal sparked a goal flurry at both ends.

The opener came on 45 minutes. A high ball was floated into the Crosshouse box, and McLeod leapt the highest to lay the ball on for Holland inside the box. Wilson managed to get a glove on his well angled low shot but could not prevent it nestling in the far corner. The deadlock was broken.

And it proved to be a shell shock for Crosshouse, as they slipped further behind on 49 minutes. This time it came from a real thunderbolt from outside the box. Scott Glover found himself in space outside the area, and with the hosts struggling to close down, got a thunderous strike away which screamed past Wilson for number two.

Crosshouse took a while to recover from the double whammy and meanwhile the visitors continued to threaten further damage, as Holland and Brown's runs continued to stretch the back line.

Slowly though they regained some composure, and were back in the match just after the hour mark as they started to force players forward. A ball swung in from the right, with Mason and Robbie Meikle both having shots saved, before Smith finally forced the ball of the line. A ray of hope for the hosts.

It became end to end football as the game opened up with Crosshouse chasing the game. It left gaps at the back, with Holland  almost pouncing with a header well tipped over by Martin. 

The resulting corner delivered the match’s decisive goal, as McLeod’s delivery found the head of John McCrae in the 6 yard box to crash home his header on 68 minutes. A vital two goal advantage with just over 10 minutes on the clock.

Crosshouse went for broke, bringing on Kieran Connolly for Calum Corbet-Peters and getting players up front. And they reduced their deficit again on 75 minutes. In a similar move to first goal the danger came down the right as Smith crossed low into the box. Joshua Edward’s effort rebounded out to Mason who finally got the ball over the line to pave the way for a grandstand finish.

But it was not to be. Rossvale saw the game out to shock the cup holders and earn a deserved place in the semis. For Crosshouse the cup dream is over for another year with the full focus now on a return CAYFA league business next weekend.

  • Full Time:
  • Crosshouse BC
  • 2-3
  • Rossvale BC


Crosshouse BC
Rossvale BC
1. Jamie Wilson
2. Joshua Edward
5. Callum Corbett- Peters
6. Robbie Laidlaw
7. Christopher Law
8. Connor Smith
10. Logan Smith
11. Kieran Connolly
14. Bailey McClure
17. Cammy Malcolm
19. Grant Wallace
3. Cole Archibald
4. Jordan Mason
15. Craig McLean
12. Robbie Meikle
16. Kieran Connolly
1. Pierce Finnie
2. Ryan Martin
3. Reiss Johnston
4. Scott Glover
5. John McCrae
6. Rob Fowler
7. Calum Holland
8. Robbie Brown
9. Conor McBrearty
10. Christopher McLeod
11. Robbie Lennon
12. Michael McLean
14. Luke Traynor
15. Ronnie McLuskie
16. Keir Thomson
17. Kai McNaught
Star Player
Crosshouse BC
Rossvale BC
Connor Smith - Crosshouse always looked most dangerous when Connor Smith got on the ball, and he got side back into the match with a goal on 61 minutes.
Calum Holland - He was a menace up front and broke the deadlock on 45 minutes to send Rossvale on their way.
Magic Moment
Crosshouse BC
Rossvale BC
Mason's goal 5 minutes from the end gave the holders some hope.
Glover's thunderbolt shot shocked the hosts and gave Rossvale a 2 goal lead.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments