Home My YFS

Syngenta secure 3-0 Central Region Cup final victory over Cumbernauld Colts

Syngenta Juveniles 3

Stewart 22, Malcolm 40, 61

Cumbernauld Colts 0

  • Saturday, 03 June 2017
  • Ochilview Park
  • Under 13´s
  • Central Region Cup

Jack Thomson | YFS Falkirk Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

An assured performance saw Syngenta secure a 3-0 victory over Cumbernauld Colts in the Central Region Cup final. 

In a encounter that resembled the most tactical of chess matches, it was Cumbernauld who made the first move with seven minutes on the clock. Marc Smith created space and tried his luck from range but Ryan Dick was equal to his effort. 

It was then Syngenta’s turn to try and force the issue in the opening phase of the match. Jamie Stewart received the ball with his back to goal inside the area, before turning well and firing an effort inches wide. 

Stewart would not have to wait much longer to get the goal he so craved however, as he opened the scoring in the 22nd minute. The creative outlet capitalised on the opposition goalkeeper spilling the ball to lash home into the empty net. 

Cole Johnston almost extended Syngenta’s lead with a controlled half-volley in the 23rd minute but the goalkeeper held onto the strike. 

 The Dyes continued to mount the pressure up until the dying embers of the first half but Colts defended stoutly and denied Layth Blackley from close range after the ball fell kindly for him at a corner. 

  • Half Time:
  • Syngenta Juveniles
  • 1-0
  • Cumbernauld Colts

Syngenta had the bit between their teeth in the second half and had doubled their lead in the 40th minute. Finlay Malcolm burst through on goal and slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

Malcolm was beginning to enjoy the occasion and a minute later, he cut in towards goal from the right but he couldn’t beat the keeper. 

Cumbernauld were not prepared to go down without a fight, however, and Cameron McCaffer showed exemplary energy as he soared down the left flank in the 48th minute. He proceeded to drive in field and shoot but his effort was held by the goalkeeper.

Arron McMahon then almost spectacularly pulled his side back into it with a low free-kick from the left, which evaded everyone and forced a fine reaction stop from Dick to turn the ball onto the post. 

In the 61st minute it was game, set and match Syngenta. Malcolm was at it again and he showed the strength to turn his man and stroke the ball home to make it 3-0. 

Cumbernauld huffed and puffed but it was not to be their day as the referee sounded his whistle to signal a memorable cup victory for the Dyes. 


  • Full Time:
  • Syngenta Juveniles
  • 3-0
  • Cumbernauld Colts


Syngenta Juveniles
Cumbernauld Colts
1. Ryan Dick
2. Kai Muir
3. Layth Blackley
4. Billy Gardiner
5. Callum Liddell
6. Jamie Stewart
8. Aidan Bonner
9. Finlay Malcolm
10. Lewis Mcfarlane
14. Cole Johnston
15. William Seagust
16. Lewis Paton
17. Alistair Croall
6. Calum Concur
3. Jamie Connelly
5. Cameron McCaffer
7. Joseph Calvert
11. Arron McMahon
17. Jon Millerick
8. James Tourish
51. Connor Twohig
10. Blair Wright
52. Ciaran Clark
9. Aidan Callaghan
16. Ross Jackson
4. Marc Smith
Star Player
Syngenta Juveniles
Cumbernauld Colts
Finlay Malcom put in a classic striker's performance as he posed a persistent threat, bagging himself a brace in the process.
Cameron McCaffer display work rate and desire as he tried to pull his side back into the match. It was performance that deserved more than a runners-up medal.
Magic Moment
Syngenta Juveniles
Cumbernauld Colts
Malcolm's first goal had it all from pace to clinical finishing, drawing a standing ovation from his team's support.
Arron McMahon's opportunistic free-kick would have been a contender for goal of the tournament had it not been for a fine save from the goalkeeper.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments