Home My YFS

Thistle come from behind as Rangers curse their luck

Rangers FC 1

Dickson 40

Partick Thistle FC 2

Tait 58, 75
  • Thursday, 09 November 2017
  • Rangers Training Centre
  • Under 17´s
  • City of Glasgow Cup

The City of Glasgow Cup saw another prestigious clash with Partick Thistle travelling to Milngavie to take on Rangers.

Rangers took the lead just before half time after sustaining pressure on the Thistle back four for much of the opening 45 but the boys from Firhill showed their grit to take their chances in the second half and endure a nervy last 10 minutes.

Rangers enjoyed most of the ball and had the opposition on the back foot but they lacked that killer instinct in the final third. Often, they would get into good positions but then choose the wrong pass, try a stupid potshot or have three players going for the same cross and ending up getting in each other’s way and this was clearly incensing the management team as they sensed this was the type of game where you had to take your chances as few would come in the freezing cold and persistent rain.

The left wing was clearly proving more fruitful for the Rangers attack with Zac Butterworth often linking up well and that is exactly where the first goal game from.

Butterworth picked up the ball on the left flank and used his blistering pace to dribble direct at the Partick defence who crumbled in his wake and allowed him to meet the byline. His chipped cross to the back post was met with pace by Ciarin Dickson who gave the boys in blue a deserved lead going in at the break.

  • Half Time:
  • Rangers FC
  • 1-0
  • Partick Thistle FC

Rangers continued to dominate possession after the restart but without much purpose, Thistle managed to withstand the weak attacks for the first 15 minutes until Aidan Fitzpatrick picked the ball up for Partick. Fitzpatrick dribbled down the right flank and sent an early cross into the danger zone. Dylan Tait was their only representative in the 18-yard box but found himself scoring after the Rangers ‘keeper Nicky Hogarth completely misread the trajectory of the ball and dropped it right on to the head of Tait who gleefully nodded home. Game on.

The Rangers manager was cursing his luck on the sidelines as he knew his team should have been out of sight after their dominant first half. He willed his players forward to reignite their lead but three strong saves from Luke Scullion kept the score level. The first came from John Balde who collected the ball after a defensive mix-up high up the pitch, but Scullion was quick off his line to thwart the attack. The second was set up by Zac Butterworth as his intelligent dummy from a drilled cross to the edge of the box allowed the goalscorer Ciarin Dickson to try and claim his second, but his powerful shot was tipped over the bar. The last of this triple attack saw Kai Kennedy, who had been electric all match, cut inside from the left, leaving Bradley Renfrew in his wake, and try a shot low to the near post but once again Scullion stood strong.

Thistle were under a lot of pressure and no one saw this more than Bradley Renfrew. The right back seized his opportunity when Kennedy and substitute Kieran McKechnie got in each other’s way in the middle of the park. Renfrew picked up the ball and played an inch perfect pass down the right to the byline for Adedapo Mebude to chase. The striker drilled the ball to the near post and Jay Mack scored to give Thistle the lead against the run of play.

This set up a classic nervy final 10 minutes as Rangers piled players forward in an attempt to grab a point from the game. Partick Thistle were quite happy to have 11 men behind the ball and withstand the pressure. Space was sparse in the final third and as a result every Rangers opportunity was rushed and forced with little in the way of build up. Kyle McClelland, Lewis Budinaukas and Mebude all had shots from the edge of the box but none hit the target.

The Thistle defending was gritty and last ditch but they were put even more under the cosh when Jordan Kemoe got sent off for squaring up to Rangers’ McClelland seconds before the end. The whistle was finally blown when Ben Williamson’s effort struck Scullion’s left post and went out much to the visible relief of the 17-year-old.

This game could have gone very differently had it been a more clinical Rangers playing today but credit must be given to Partick Thistle who hung on for basically the entire match.

  • Full Time:
  • Rangers FC
  • 1-2
  • Partick Thistle FC


Rangers FC
Partick Thistle FC
1. Nicky Hogarth
2. Nathan Patterson
3. Zac Butterworth
4. Murray Miller
5. Kyle McClelland
6. Jay Mack
7. John Balde
8. Ben Williamson
9. Adedapo Mebude
10. Ciarin Dickson
11. Kai Kennedy
12. Euan Deveney
14. Matt Yates
15. Kieran McKechnie
16. Ryan Muir
21. Lewis Budinauckas
1. Luke Scullion
2. Bradley Renfrew
3. Adam Moss
4. Ruiraidh McIntyre
5. Daniel Connor
6. Dylan Tait
7. Mainza Mutenge
8. Shea Scally
9. Jordan Kemoe
10. Evan Galasso
11. Aidan Fitzpatrick
12. Sam Kerr
15. Albert Orr
16. Blair Craig
19. Euan Cameron
20. Domonic Reilly
Star Player
Rangers FC
Partick Thistle FC
Ciarin Dickson – The striker led the Rangers attack and often dictated the play when the centre midfielders failed to do so. He was always open to a pass and took his goal well in a game of half-chances.
Luke Scullion – The goalkeeper had his hands full the entire match with Rangers attackers flooding his 18-yard box for most of the 90 minutes. The defence didn’t do their job but luckily they had a very comfortable man in between the posts. The goal wasn’t really his fault, it was more a result of poor marking, but there could have been a lot more conceded if Scullion hadn’t been on top form.
Magic Moment
Rangers FC
Partick Thistle FC
Kyle McClelland crossed the ball to John Balde who managed to juggle the ball several times with Thistle defenders just watching before his shot was blazed over. A fantastic piece of improvisation in a crowded box.
Ciarin Dickson rattled a fantastic high shot at Scullion’s goal but the ‘keeper managed to leap and tip the ball over despite only having 15 yards between him and the attacker.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments