Home My YFS

Edinburgh College through to College Cup Final

City of Glasgow College 1

Dayton 90

Edinburgh College 3

Aiyegdusi 18, Nhamburo 52, Touray 86
  • Wednesday, 18 April 2018
  • Glasgow Green Football Centre
  • College & University
  • Scottish Student Sport College Cup
It was Edinburgh College who travelled back along the M8 knowing that they had claimed their place in the Scottish Student Sport College Cup Final after victory against City of Glasgow College at the Glasgow Green football centre in an intense, well-fought victory.
However, it was Glasgow who almost had the perfect start to the match. Douglas Macleod found himself in space and took his shot, which looked goal bound, but thankfully for Edinburgh, the shot was deflected wide.
After a shaky start, it was Edinburgh who looked the more dangerous of the teams. Sam Nhamburo tried his luck with an ambitious acrobatic volley but the shot wouldn’t trouble the keeper and it flew over the bar.
He had another opportunity to put his side ahead when he produced a lovely bit of skill, taking out two Glasgow defenders but only to fire his shot over the bar once more.
The start of the game was end-to-end football, but Edinburgh eventually broke the deadlock after 18 minutes with an unbelievable strike. Nathen Aiyegdusi picked the ball up from the right flank and smashed his shot right into the top left corner of the goal. A superb strike from the winger, who left the keeper in no-mans-land.
It was very much all Edinburgh after the goal, who continued to look the more threatening team but were almost caught out when the keeper's clearance fell straight to a Glasgow player, with an empty goal beckoning, but John Paul Conroy couldn’t find the back of the net.
That chance seemed to have spurred the Glasgow team on, who enjoyed their best spell of the game. Jamie Martin was making a menace of himself down the wing and he eventually broke free of his marker only to blaze his shot over the crossbar.
Towards the end of the half, Edinburgh found their feet again and had a great chance to double their lead. Jack Inglis flicked the ball over starting a counterattack in which Mohamed Dukuray picked it up only for Toby Macleod to lose possession in the box as he was about to pull the trigger.
But it was to remain 1-0 to the visitors at the half-time whistle. Glasgow had yet to make a real impact on the game with Edinburgh being by far the better team. The midfield ran riot throughout the half and this resulted in better chances and a superb strike for the goal as well.
Glasgow needed a big reaction for the second half to get back into the game.
  • Half Time:
  • City of Glasgow College
  • 0-1
  • Edinburgh College
Like the first half, it was Glasgow that started the better of the sides. Lewis Dayton latched onto a loose ball spilled by the keeper but couldn’t keep his shot down as a chance to grab a goal back went amiss.
Edinburgh soon punished Glasgow for their missed opportunities by doubling their advantage just after 50 minutes. It was another screamer, Nhamburo stepped up to take the free kick. The shot was hit with venom, nice and hard, straight into the top right corner leaving the keeper helpless and picking the ball out of the net for the second time in the match.
As the half progressed the game became a scrappy affair with the referee putting his whistle to good use, awarding numerous fouls for both teams. Glasgow were starting to get frustrated and it showed with some rash challenges.
Just after the 70th minute Glasgow had the chance to get back into the game, Chris Russell got the ball played into him in the box, but he couldn’t get anything on it.
Tensions grew to boiling point just before the 80th minute mark, Nhamburo for Edinburgh continued to cause problems for Glasgow, but his run was ground to a halt and Glasgow countered.
Martin was brought down inside the box with the Glasgow players screaming for a penalty. The referee thought otherwise and waved away protests.
But the game had to be stopped following the penalty incident as some words were exchanged and pushes between both sides before the referee and coaches brought it to an end. The emotions of being so close to the final clearly showing on the players.
But there was to be more late drama, Edinburgh all but secured their final spot in the 86th minute by netting their third of the game. Dukuray picked the ball and ran in behind the defence, runs to the by line and plays in Alieu Touray to finish into an empty net.
However, it would be Glasgow who would have the final say of the match grabbing a consolation goal just before full time with the captain Dayton putting Glasgow on the scoresheet.
But it ultimately wasn’t enough as Edinburgh were deserved winners in the end; it took until late second half for Glasgow to really get into the game and it proved too little too late. The capital side’s midfield proved the deciding factor between the two sides.
  • Full Time:
  • City of Glasgow College
  • 3-1
  • Edinburgh College


City of Glasgow College
Edinburgh College
1.Cameron Godfrey
3. Callum McLeod
5. Lewis Dayton
6. Douglas MacLeod
7. Jamie Wilson
8. John Paul Conroy
10. Jamie Martin
9. James Harvie
11. Cameron McIles
14. Aaron Curran
15. Chris Russell
1. Alex McMahon
2. Terry Ormiston
3. Jullian Abubakar
4. Josh Noteman
5. Sam Nhamburo
6. Fynlay Conner
7. Nathen Aiyegdusi
8. Alieu Touray
9. Toby Macleod
10. Jack Inglis
11. Mohamed Dukuray
12. Paul Stirling
14. Ewan Holingdale
Star Player
City of Glasgow College
Edinburgh College
Jamie Martin, worked his socks off whenever he got the ball. Played on the wing but done his part in tracking back and attacking. Almost got himself a goal as well.
Sam Nhamburo, proved to be a real handful for Glasgow, scored an absolute screamer from a free kick and could of and maybe should've scored on another occasion. Was instrumental in midfield for the visitors.
Magic Moment
City of Glasgow College
Edinburgh College
Jamie Martin's second half run, he picked the ball up from the wing and cut inside beating two players before his goal bound shot getting blocked to end the attack, a great run,
Aiyegdusi's spectacular finish, the way he scored from such a tight angle and under that amount of pressure made the goal and finish even more better.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments