Home My YFS

Glasgow put four past Ayrshire to lift the National Trophy

Ayrshire 0

Glasgow 4

Collins 17, O'Donnell 47, Lynn 62, McQueen 83
  • Tuesday, 24 April 2018
  • Rugby Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Scottish Schools' Football Association Nation Trophy Final
It was Glasgow who headed back along the M77 with the SSFA Under 15s National Trophy after a well-deserved victory over Ayrshire at Rugby Park.
The cup encounter got off to a slow start, Ayrshire got the game ahead and attacked straight from the off, bursting forward but the Glasgow defence stood up to the early opportunity.
Glasgow’s first real attack found the back of the net, Gregor Nicol had a deflected effort from just inside the box, but the linesman’s flag was up and was given as offside.
Ayrshire then had a really good period of dominance in the period after the offside goal with a real chance for Micheal Mullen. Ayr had the first corner of the match and it fell straight to him at the back post, unfortunately his shot fizzled just wide of the post with just over ten minutes played.
It would be the visitors that would break the deadlock, a great free kick whipped into the box saw Matthew Collins get a shot away, it ricocheted off a few Ayrshire players before find the net in the seventeenth minute of the game.
Glasgow continued their high pressure as they searched for their second goal, another free kick taken by Luke Kenny was whipped in to the far post where it fell to Collins who was unable to find the net like last time.
With halve the half of football played; Ayrshire had their best spell of the half. Steven Warnock came close, a low free kick from just outside the box picked out the winger but he couldn’t finish.
Almost straight after, Alex Dean had a superb chance to get an equaliser. A lovely through ball catches the defence off guard but he can’t finish as the on rushing keeper makes a great save.
Ayrshire continued to press and attack in numbers as they searched for the elusive equaliser before the break, Ryan McDowell came close with ten minutes to go, his header from the free kick lacked enough power to go past the keeper.
That attack would prove to be the final chance of the half, with both teams still finding their feet in the cup final, Glasgow went into the break with a goal advantage. A team that made the most of their chances, Ayrshire on the other hand would rue their missed opportunities and feel frustrated for not being on the goal sheet.
  • Half Time:
  • Ayrshire
  • 0-1
  • Glasgow
Glasgow came out the traps the better team as the second half went underway. Their first opportunity of the half resulted in their second goal of the match. Connor O'Donnell capitalised on some poor defensive work to clear the ball, he took it on his right and fired it past the keeper. A good finish from the youngster a few minutes into the half.
Glasgow were hungry for more, the Ayrshire defence weren’t switched on when Collins wriggled through them before forces a smart save.
With sixty minutes played, Ayrshire started to show a real desire to get back into the game with the team being able to limit Glasgow’s chances and get to grips with the game. In what was an end to end couple of minutes.
Despite Ayrshire’s opportunities, Glasgow found a third on the 62nd minute, the Glasgow midfield won the ball back in the middle of the pitch before breaking at speed with numbers, David Lynn picked up the ball before calmly slotting it home.
As the game progressed, Ayrshire stuck right at it and continued to press and search for a goal. With seventy minutes played, Number 8 managed to dribble into the box after breaking free from the defence but the Glasgow keeper managed to get down to save his driven shot.
This chance seemed to kick-start Ayrshire’s drive forward as they went all out attack. Sam Ellis  went a run with the ball and was unlucky not to find the net with his long range shot.
Chances went and gone for the hosts but none could find the net in what was arguably their best spell of the match.
But in the 83rd minute, Glasgow substitute Ross McQueen put the game to bed after getting on the end of a cross and managing to force the ball into the net despite the best efforts of the Ayrshire defence to clear their lines.
And with that late goal, the game ended. A well-deserved win for Glasgow, Ayrshire couldn’t make the most of their chances, but Glasgow on the whole were the more dominant team throughout. 
  • Full Time:
  • Ayrshire
  • 0-4
  • Glasgow


1. Jack Allen
2. Alex Jeanes
3. Sam Ellis
4. Kyle Orr
5. Andrew Heaney
6. Justin Deveney
7. Alex Dean
8. Steven Warnock
9. Liam Smith
10. Ryan McDowell
11. Ryan Walker
12. David Blyth
14. Micheal Mullen
15. Sean Docherty
16. Ben Rodgers
1. Jay Patterson
2. Luke Kenny
3. Lewis Denison
4. Magnus McMillan
5. David Lynn
6. Gospel Ocholi
7. Connor O'Donnell
8. Leeroy Shannon
9. Gregor Nicol
10. Robbie Whyte
11. Matthew Colins
12. Junior Garscadden
13. Kyle King
14. Ross McQueen
15. Devan McColl
16. Paul Sweeney
Star Player
Steven Warnock, was unlucky not to get himself a goal but made a menace of himself on the wings and cutting in to create countless opportunities for the team.
David Lynn, the captain made a good example of himself today. He was solid at the back and urged his team to keep going even when they were 4-0 up. He even bagged himself a goal in an excellent perfromance.
Magic Moment
The first corner of the match, a perfect ball into the back post which met Mullen on the half volley, he was unlucky not to steer his shot in as it went just wide of the post.
Lynn's goal, the midfield did brilliant to win the ball back and Lynn made the most of the opportunity by cutting it onto his right and rocketing it past the keeper. Great goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments