Home My YFS

Colts and Knightswood in six goal thriller

Cumbernauld Colts 3

McGill 14, Hall 50, Williamson 72

Knightswood BC 3

O'Donnell 20, 27, Keegan 65
  • Saturday, 08 September 2018
  • Broadwood 3G
  • Under 16´s
  • CSFA League

Cumbernauld Colts and Knightswood played out an enthralling 3-3 draw in this CSFA League clash. 

An opening goal from Lee McGill put the Colts 1-0 up before Corey O'Donnell scored a quickfire double to put Knightswood 2-1 at half time. Colts scored an equaliser through Kieran Hall just after half time, again, that was cancelled out by Knightswood, Sean Keegan's goal looked to have won the game for his side before Colts grabbed a late equaliser through Kevin Williamson.

Both sides started quickly and created early chances in the first 10 minutes.

The first chance of the game came for Knightswood. Good work from Sean Keegan in the middle of the park allowed him to spread the ball wide to Shaun Gallaher on the right-hand side who took on his man and got to the by-line and crossed in for Corey O'Donnell whose header was straight at Finlay Adger in the Cumbernauld Colts goal.

Colts then had a chance of their own. A ball not fully cleared by the Knightswood defence saw Kieran Hall put through 1-on-1 with Knightswood keeper Paul Gallaher, Hall put his shot under the keeper which was headed for goal, but his effort was cleared off the line by Tariq Lgried.

Knightswood had a great opportunity to open the scoring. O'Donnell collected the ball inside the Colts half and drove at the defence, took the ball past two defenders on the edge of the box and cut the ball back to the penalty spot to the unmarked Liam MacNamee who scuffed a shot which fell into the arms of Adger.

The deadlock was broken on 14 minutes by Lee McGill for Colts. A good pass by Aiden McDade found Kieran Hall on the edge of the box who spotted the run of McGill who collected the ball in the box and finished well over Gallaher.

Knightswood levelled 6 minutes later. The attack started from Gallaher who sent a punt upfield for MacNamee on the left wing who played a ball down the line for O'Donnell who carried the ball into the box, held off his marker and put a fantastic left footed shot across Adger into the net at the far post. A great finish by the striker.

O'Donnell grabbed his and his team's second on 27 minutes. A corner sent in by Sean Keegan found O'Donnell in the box who controlled the ball and smashed it into the roof of the net to put Knightswood 2-1 up.

There could have been a third for Knightswood before half time. Keegan picked up the ball in the middle of the park and played a great pass into the box for Gallaher who had made a run from the right wing and found himself in on goal, but his shot was well saved by Adger.

Colts could have levelled on the stroke of half time. McDade floated a ball out to Kheran McLarne on the right-hand side who played a first time headed pass into Hall in the box whose shot hit the outside of the post.

  • Half Time:
  • Cumbernauld Colts
  • 1-2
  • Knightswood BC

The second half started with Knightswood putting the pressure on the home side, looking to kill the game. Keegan intercepted a pass 30 yards out from the Colts goal and played the ball out to Gallaher on the right wing who played the ball into O'Donnell in the box, who was about to pull the trigger but Connor Coyle made a fantastic tackle to deny O'Donnell the chance of a hat-trick.

Colts levelled the scoring on 50 minutes. McLarne picked up possession on the right-hand side and sent a ball down the wing for Hall who drove into the area and smashed his effort past Gallaher in at the near post.

Knightswood were presented the chance to go 3-2 ahead. A long ball up field caused a mix up between the Colts defence and Adger in goal, the keeper came out his box but his defenders cleared the ball before him, the clearance fell to MacNamee whose effort was too tame and easily cleared by the Colts defence as Adger scrambled back to his goal.

On 55 minutes Colts were reduced to 10 men. Marcus Hayden made a challenge on MacNamee in the middle of the park which the referee believed to be worthy of a red card. 

Despite being down to 10 men, it was Colts who were still probing.

Another great pass by McDade over the Knightswood defence for Adam Hunter who collected the ball and jinked past defenders into the box but his shot on goal was well saved by Gallaher.

Colts were in again. McDade again played a through ball this time for substitute Jak Connolly who received the ball in the box and found himself one-on-one with Gallaher but again, the keeper made a great save to deny the striker.

However, Knightswood re-took the lead with 15 minutes to go. Good work on the left-hand side by Gary Weightman to commit defenders and play the ball to Sean Keegan who sprinted into the area and smashed the ball in at Adger's near post. A goal that looked to have knocked the stuffing out of the 10 men of Cumbernauld Colts.

There was to be one last action in the match. With eight minutes to go, a free-kick in the Colts half taken by Kieran Hall, lofted into the area, was met by Kevin Williamson who rose highest to head the ball home and grab a point for the home side. 

An excellent game of football, which both teams may have thought they were unlucky not to win as both teams had loads of chances.

  • Full Time:
  • Cumbernauld Colts
  • 3-3
  • Knightswood BC


Cumbernauld Colts
Knightswood BC
1. Finlay Adger
2. Adam Hunter
4. Marcus Hayden
5. Aiden McDade
6. Lee McGill
7. Matthew Bond
8. Kheran McLarne
10. Jak Connolly
11. Andrew Lowrie
12. Matthew McFarlane
14. Connor Coyle
15. Kevin Williamson
16. Ben Rennie
17. Kieran Hall
1. Paul Gallaher
3. David Fiadornu
4. Reiss Kasule
5. Tariq Lgried
6. Kian Church
7. Gary Weightman
8. Ross McKain
9. Corey O'Donnell
10. Rhys Hughes
11. Liam MacNamee
12. Michael Conboy
14. Shaun Gallaher
17. Sean Keegan
Star Player
Cumbernauld Colts
Knightswood BC
Kieran Hall - Looked a threat at all times in the final third, took his goal well and set up his sides equaliser. Moved to defence in the second half and was very solid in that position too.
Sean Keegan - Played some very good passes which caused the opposition defence problems. Worked very hard in the midfield and deserved his goal.
Magic Moment
Cumbernauld Colts
Knightswood BC
The equaliser to make it 3-3. Despite being a man down, Colts rallied back. Hall delivered a great ball for Williamson to nod home, sparking great celebrations from the Colts.
Corey O'Donnell's first goal. Showed excellent strength to hold off his marker and then send a shot into the net at the far post, a genuinely excellent finish, leaving the keeper no chance.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments