Home My YFS
Sunday, 03 February 2013 16:59

Gow set up Dyce date with Leith victory

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Gow Valley
Leith Athletic
U14 SYFA Challenge Cup
John Cumming Stadium
At the fourth time of asking, Gow Valley took on Leith Athletic in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup, with a long trip to Dyce the reward for the

On the vast 4G surface at the John Cumming Stadium, Gow had the majority of the possession in the opening stages of the game, but the well organised Leith defence prevented any opportunities for Gow's front two of Lee
Stubbs and Scott Thomson.

The first half was largely a midfield battle, with neither goalkeeper forced into any serious action, until Gow finally broke down the stubborn defence of the Capital side with the final attack of the first period. A move down the left flank resulted in Thomson and Cameron Taylor exchanging passes, before Thomson skipped away from his marker. His ball into the six yard box was volleyed home by strike partner Stubbs with what turned out to be the last kick of the half.

Half Time: Gow Valley 1-0 Leith Athletic
Gow emerged from the dressing room after half time with renewed energy, and caught Leith, who had remained outside for the interval, cold by doubling their lead within minutes of the restart. Greg Watson broke forward from right back, and fed Kian Adam on the wing, whose low cross was turned into the bottom corner by the sliding Fraser Allan to give the home side a two goal cushion.

Though Leith began to have more of the ball after going two down, they were unable to force home keeper Kieran Craw into anything more than a comfortable save from a 20 yard effort.

Gow spurned a good opening to seal the victory when Connor McGrane just failed to connect with Thomson's cross shot at the back post, then after an square pass from McGrane, the striker fired wide from close range.

However, they did not have to wait long to wrap up their quarter final place. Scott Thomson's first time cross from the right was met at the front post by Adam, whose glancing header helped the ball into the far corner to put some gloss on the final scoreline.

Gow now have a fortnight to prepare for a date with Dyce in Aberdeen in the last eight, while Leith Athletic must now concentrate on their challenge for the league title and local cup competitions in the East.
Full Time: Gow Valley 3-0 Leith Athletic
Last modified on Friday, 23 August 2013 17:03
Andrew Watson

Andrew Watson | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments