Home My YFS

Unbeaten league leaders meet in Scottish Cup

Written by 


Wolves BC
Dundonald Bluebell
U17's Scottish Cup Round 3
27 October 2013
Todays under 17s Scottish Cup 3rd round tie saw defending Lanarkshire league champions Wolves BC take on the seasons unbeaten Fife league leader Dundonald Bluebell. With Wolves also at the top of their league and unbeaten it was clear that something had to give.
The game started with the home team taking advantage of the wind and within no time were pressing the Dundonald defence back, however they were resolute in the tackle and clearing their lines. 

It was evident that both teams were trying to play football despite the conditions and some link up play with the Wolves midfield and forward line was proving effective and they created good chances particularly down the left hand side.
The Dundonald keeper struggled with the windy conditions and his kick outs kept dropping to the Wolves players who continued to press. 

After several really good corners for the home side it was against the run of play that the Fife team scored. A break away from defence saw the ball cleared and although the ball appeared to go out of play, the ref allowed the game to continue and the ball broke into the penalty box and the big centre forward went down to convincing the ref to point to the spot. The kick was converted well leaving the keeper with no chance. 

Despite going a goal down, the Wolves boys rolled up their sleeves again and got right back into it. They continued to press as a team and played with composure when in possession. 
The equaliser was well deserved despite being a tad fortunate. A cross came over from the right hand side and the swirling wind proved difficult as the keeper failed to catch the ball and dropped it into his own net. 

Both teams went in at half time with it all still to play for and with the wind against them Wolves knew they would be in for a tough 45 minutes. 
Half Time: Wolves BC 1-1 Dundonald Bluebell

To their great credit they stepped up another gear and continued to press the Dundonald players in every inch of the park. In fact they used the conditions to their own advantage and kept the ball short and sharp with their passing and cleared when they had to. The winner came after 65 minutes and finally it was success from another fantastically delivered corner. The Wolves midfielder managed to create some space and rose above the defender to power the header into the net.

The emotions were running high both on and off the park and Dundonald tried to push on for the equaliser but to great credit all over the park the Wolves team continued to dominate and minimised any chances to long range efforts. 

The game finished with both teams holding their heads up high and representing their respective leagues well. The pace of the game didn’t diminish and desire to win by both teams was there for all to see and if Wolves and Dundonald continue with these performances then they will surely be in contention for silverware at the end of the season... Good luck to both teams.
Full Time: Wolves BC 2-1 Dundonald Bluebell
Login to post comments