Home My YFS

Rovers romp local derby

Written by 


Milton Rovers
Clyde Valley
LFDA U13's Section B
John Cumming Stadium, Carluke
12 January 2014
This was the first game back for both teams after the Christmas break and it was a local derby between Milton Rovers from Carluke and Clyde Valley from Lanark. The game was being played at John Cumming Stadium in Carluke and was a home game for Milton Rovers. It was a cold, frosty morning and there was a light covering of frost sitting on the top surface of the astro-turf.
The game started slowly, with both teams looking a bit sluggish after the break. The ball was moving very quickly on the cold pitch too. Milton found their feet quickest though and soon started to dominate possession, but seemed to misjudge the final ball on a few occasions as they adjusted to the conditions.
On 9 minutes, Milton had a corner on their right hand side. The captain whipped the ball in to the front post and the Clyde Valley keeper came to gather the ball, but in doing so, he misjudged the bounce and knocked the ball into his own net. 1-0 to Milton.
Milton continued to dominate possession and moved the ball from side to side. A few half chances were created but they didn’t add to the scoreline again until 19 mins when a nice through ball from the right back was spilled by the keeper and Milton’s right midfielder knocked the ball into the empty net.
On 25 mins, a lovely interchange of passes resulted in the Milton’s striker laying the ball off to the right midfielder and he hit a lovely shot high into the net for his seconds and Milton’s third goal. 
Milton were moving the ball well, but sometimes they were trying to be a little too intricate and tricky with the ball and with the pitch conditions, it just wasn’t a day for that type of football.
On 32 minutes, Milton’s striker was rewarded for his hard work. A few minutes before he had hit the post but this time he managed to find the net after a lovely through ball by the right midfielder played him in. 2 minutes later he added his second with a curling shot from just inside the box. 5-0 to Milton as the referee blew for half time.
Half Time: Milton Rovers 5-0 Clyde Valley
Milton made some changes at halftime and brought on all of their subs but there was no change to the pattern of the game as Milton continued to dominate possession and push Clyde Valley back. In fact the tempo of Milton’s passing early in the second half seemed to be a little bit quicker. Milton created more chances and it was only a couple of good saves and defensive blocks that stopped them from adding to the scoreline.
On 44 minutes though, Milton’s number 9 rounded off his hat trick when he put the ball low into the net following a layoff from the other striker.
It was nearly 20 minutes before the next goal. This was a really good passing move from Milton. The ball was moved across the back by both centre halfs before it was passed out to the left back who played it forward to the striker. He laid it back to the centre midfielder and she swept the ball into the net.
The final goal of the day came on 64 minutes. The striker that came on at half time got the goal that his play had deserved. Sustained pressure resulted in the striker being played in by the right back and he calmly slotted the ball past the keeper.   
The final score was 8-0. It had been a good run out for Milton but seemed to be an off day for Clyde Valley. Both teams contributed to a good natured match though and the referee had a good game too. Well done to all.
Full Time: Milton Rovers 8-0 Clyde Valley
Login to post comments