Home My YFS

Kilsyth hold nerve to beat Caley in shoot-out drama

Hamilton Caledonian Thistle 1

Brown 93

Kilsyth Athletic 1

Gribbin 100
  • Full Time: Hamilton Caledonian Thistle 1-1 Kilsyth Athletic (Kilsyth win 5-4 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 08 June 2014
  • Ochilview, Stenhousemuir
  • Under 15´s
  • Central Region Cup - Final

James Black | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

The opening minutes flew by with both sides trying to sound the other out by seeing if they could expose any early gaps. Both defences held strong as neither side wanted to give their opposition an early advantage. As the weather settled both sides began to bring the ball down and 
A lofted free kick found Kilstyh’s Thomas McLaughlin unmarked in the box although he was caught unaware by the flight of the ball and his effort sailed harmlessly towards goal.
Peter Gribbon had the best early opportunity 10 minutes in when the ball broke to him on the right hand side of the Hamilton box but his volley from distance was just over the Caley crossbar.
Despite Kilsyth’s early possession, Caley looked to make opportunities of their own and some nice interplay in the middle of the park should have resulted in more. Ryan Jamieson showed a delightful range of passing trying on a number of occasions to release H5 inside opposition fullback Mitchell Taylor.
Neither side could really make the breakthrough with both defences looking more than up to the challenge. 
Jonathan Aitken almost made himself a golden opportunity to put Kilsyth in the lead when a low pass from Andrew McNaulty allowed him to turn Christian Machina but his first touch was just too heavy and was cleared for a corner.
Kieran Mulvanney created a half chance when he picked the ball up wide on the right and found half a yard to get a hot away. Fortunately for Ryan Anderson in the Kilsyth goal, it was screwed wide of his right hand post.
As the half wore on, Hamilton began to take more control of the game, limiting Kilsyth to long balls and keeping them penned in their own half.
Kilsyth almost scored against the run of play when Jamie McLaughlin worked hard to pick up a loose ball wide on the left and play a perfectly weighted pass to McNaulty which the midfielder couldn’t quite get out from under his feet. The ball was only cleared as far as Gribbin who tried his luck from distance but it came to nothing.
Hamilton’s Andrew Brown nearly broke the deadlock when a flick on from Dillon McCreath found its way to the striker but his effort looped just over the bar. 
Kilsyth went straight up the park and almost scored themselves when K3 fired straight at the keeper when he should have really opened the scoring.
Mark Drummond of Hamilton Caley nearly had his cup final moment when his 35 yard strike went inches wide of the right hand post, eliciting a massive ‘oooh’ from the watching crowd.
  • Half Time:
  • Hamilton Caledonian Thistle
  • 0-0
  • Kilsyth Athletic
The start of the second half was made into something of a bizarre spectacle with teeming rain and a short thunderstorm making conditions treacherous. 
McCreath created the first real chance of the second half when his delightful flick created some space on the penalty spot. Anderson was out like a shot to clear up and take control of the ball however.
Much like the first half, both sides came out for the second with a real sense of trepidation. Neither side could gain a real foothold
McReath rifled a free kick over the bar after the referee awarded an indirect free kick 6 yards out after a pass back from a throw in.
Gribbin dragged a fine half volley just wide after a flick on from Jamie McLaughlin. Then he again almost provided the breakthrough when he expertly turned Declan McCafferty wide on the right but his through ball was cleared to safety by Jack Lennox.
Kilsyth were starting to look as though they really wanted to win this match in normal time with the clock ticking down and extra time looming.
Some fine interplay between Jamie McLaughlin and Mitchell Taylor almost saw Taylor get a shot on target but he pulled his shot wide of the Hamilton post. 
Brown mugged Kris Frobisher in the penalty area but took the ball wide and could only cross harmlessly into the Kilsyth ‘keepers hands.
  • Full Time:
  • Hamilton Caledonian Thistle
  • 0-0
  • Kilsyth Athletic

Hamilton almost immediately opened the scoring. Andrew Walker forcing a fantastic low save form Anderson after being picked out with a wonderful through ball.

Jamie McLaughlin had Jamie Barnes scrambling to make sure his raking drive went wide of his left hand post.

McLaughlin had another opportunity when a free kick fell to him 6 yards out but he couldn’t quite get it under control.

Shaun Carroll headed just over from a Frobisher free kick wide on the left.

Andrew Brown finally broke the deadlock 3 minutes into the second half of extra time. The ball fell to him on the edge of the area and he made half a yard of space and snuck the ball in after taking a kiss off the base of the far post.

Lee Ballantyne, with seconds remaining, takes a shot from 40 yards which Barnes doesn’t deal with. Gribbon sneaks in and taps home the rebound, equalising for Kilsyth, and sends the match to a penalty shootout.

The shoot-out was a high quality affair, with both sides scoring four of their first five. Gribbin, Doyle, Aitken and Ballantyne found the net for Athletic. Caley recovered from going behind to draw level, with goals from Brown, Jamieson, Walker and a beauty from Machina when the pressure was on.

Kilsyth got off to the perfect start when sudden death began, with a superb save from Anderson. This left Downs with the job of tucking the ball away, which he did with aplomb, before the heavens opened for Athletic's players and fans to celebrate in the rain.

Final Result: Full Time: Hamilton Caledonian Thistle 1-1 Kilsyth Athletic (Kilsyth win 5-4 on penalties)


Hamilton Caledonian Thistle
Kilsyth Athletic
1. Jamie Barnes
2. Dillon McReath
3. Ryan Jamieson
4. Andrew Walker
5. Paul Garner
6. Christian Machina
7. Mark Drummond
8. Edward McLaughlin
10. Andrew Brown
11. Kieran Mulvanney
14. Declan McCafferty
15. Harrison Reilly
17. Reece Holland
20. Jack Lennox
1. Ryan Anderson
10. Matthew McConville
4. Lee Ballantyne
6. Thomas McLaughlin
7. Jamie McLaughlin
8. Shaun Carroll
9. Kris Frobisher
11. Mickey Downs
5. Mitchell Taylor
3. Jonathan Aitken
14. Kieron O’Neill
16. Andrew McNaulty
13. Peter Gribbin
2. Jason Weir
18.Conner Doyle
17.Mark Hardie
Star Player
Hamilton Caledonian Thistle
Kilsyth Athletic
Andrew Brown lead the line fantastically well for his side and his goal put the cherry on top of a fine display. Incredibly unlucky to come away with a runners up medal.
Jamie McLaughlin at the heart of everything his team tried and on another day would have been more successful with some of it.
Magic Moment
Hamilton Caledonian Thistle
Kilsyth Athletic
Andrew Browns’ extra time goal must have had the Hamilton players thinking they had sealed the cup.
Seconds to go in extra time of a cup final and one of your team mates tries from long distance. The keeper spills it so what do you do? If you’re Peter Gribbin you follow it in and poke home the rebound to send it to penalties.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments