Home My YFS

Wishaw BC see off Wolves in comfortable win

Written by  Wishaw BC


Wolves BC
Wishaw BC
Under 16's LFDA "B" League
10 January 2015
Wishaw BC kicked off their 2015 fixtures this morning in what must have been one of the few fixtures to survive the weekend weather.
Hoping the shake off any Christmas cobwebs, and hoping to avoid their nightmare start to their game with Wolves earlier in the season WBC started very brightly and caught Wolves napping. Within the first sixty seconds, after some good play from Matthew Hillan and Connor Bohan on the left, Chris Bruce made a good run down the left wing and hit a precise low cross that was met by Nathan Livingstone who clinically slotted the ball into the back of the net. 1-0.
This was just the start that was needed, and WBC were back into their stride. In awful conditions, in freezing temperatures and driving rain, good football was always going to be very difficult. 
The central midfield pairing of Chris Bruce and Cammy Ballantyne were soon controlling possession in the middle of the park, snapping into tackles and not giving their opposite numbers any time on the ball. Chris was using the possession to drive forward in his usual manner, and Cammy's first touch and short passing was excellent considering the conditions.
This dominance allowed the wide players Connor Bohan and Ross Park to see a fair bit of the ball in dangerous positions and cause headaches for the Wolves full backs.
Matthew Hillan and the busy Dylan Gibson at full back for WBC were also prominent in their overlapping and attacking play, but unfortunately as the game went on Wishaw were unable to add the goals they desreved. 
Chances came to Ross Wileman who struck a shot at the keeper after a good run from Ross Park, and to Connor Bohan who was narrowly wide with a shot from eighteen yards after cutting in from the left. The best chance fell to Ross Park who had a shot saved by the Wolves keeper after outpacing his marker with a fifty yard run.
As is quite often the case in football WBC were hit with a sucker punch as Wolves equalised on thirty minutes, totally against the run of play. After conceding a foul throw on the right hand side of the penalty area, Wishaw were slow to close down the dangerous Wolves number eight who hit a low shot which skidded under the dive of Jamie Anderson in the Wishaw goal. 1-1. It was the first shot on target from Wolves, whose front line had been marshalled excellently by captain Conor Smith and Chris MacNeil.
However, as has been the case throughout the season so far, Wishaw reacted well to adversity and picked their game up and deservedly regained the lead soon afterwards. Nathan received the ball and turned well under pressure and hit an optimistic shot from distance that appeared to be flying wide until it was controlled expertly by Cammy and cooly slotted past the helpless keeper. 2-1.
The half closed with Wishaw back in control, but unable to add further goals. Longer balls were being hit a bit too often when shorter passes were available and easier to control in the conditions, and players looked for the killer touch and occasionally ignored easier options, but on the whole it was a pretty decent display after four weeks out.
Half Time : Wolves BC 1-2 Wishaw BC
Wishaw started the second half brightly again, and it wasn't long before the lead was increased. Ross Park made a good run down the right flank and as the keeper narrowed the angle, he squared the ball for Nathan to finish well. 3-1.
Ross Wileman was then replaced by Morgan Jones, and Morgan was soon causing the Wolves defence problems with his pace and adding urgency to the attack, drawing a very good save from the Wolves keeper at his near post after a good bit of skill in the area.
Ross Paton then replaced Cammy, and slotted in at centre back with Chris MacNeil returning to his usual role in midfield, and it was Chris who added the fourth Wishaw goal, timing his run to perfection to meet a cut back from Ross Park and burying it into the net from twelve yards. 4-1.
Douglas Crumley then replaced Connor Bohan on the wing and Iain Hardie replaced Matthew at full back, and both were soon into the action showing skill and determination on the left flank.
The fifth goal followed soon afterwards and came in familiar fashion, after an excellent pass inside the full back from Chris Bruce, Ross Park was able to run into space before squaring to Nathan to complete his hat-trick. 5-1.
Wishaw were completely controlling the game at this point, with Ross Paton and Conor at the back not allowing the Wolves strikers any opportunities, Chris Bruce was strong as always in the middle, and Morgan was now linking the midfield and attack very well and Nathan looking very hungry to add to his goals tally up front. 
However it was Wolves who would strike next, as a speculative free kick from forty yards caught a gust of wind and deceived all the players in the penalty area and skidded past Jamie who was unable to react in time. 5-2.
Fittingly though, it was WBC who completed the scoring, and it was Nathan again who hit a lethal strike low into the net from the right hand side after a neat pass from Ross Park. 6-2. It was Nathan's 8th goal in two games against Wolves and his fifth hat-trick of the season.
Full Time : Wolves BC 6-2 Wishaw BC
Login to post comments