Home My YFS

Narrow win for Tynie as they reach the quarters at Broughty's expense

Broughty United 1

Hoskins 4'

Tynecastle FC 2

Swanson 17', Cameron 67'
  • Sunday, 07 February 2016
  • Dawson Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

They say that the ultimate test for a footballer is being able to perform on a cold, rainy Tuesday night in Stoke. Clearly these people have never experienced a stormy, windy, hailstone-ridden Sunday afternoon at Dundee’s Dawson Park. The players of Broughty United and Tynecastle FC braved all of these elements in their Scottish Cup tie.
It was the home side that took an early lead courtesy of a fine finish from Cameron Hoskins in the fourth minute. Tynecastle pushed for an equaliser, which soon arrived in the 17th, after Sonny Swanson looped his free kick into the far corner. After a monumental tussle between the two teams it was Tynecastle who eventually managed to take the lead, and hold it, 23 minutes from the full time whistle thanks to a Daniel Cameron header.  
With the weather conditions doing their very best to disrupt the tie, the game managed to spark into life early on. With just four minutes on the clock Broughty United’s first attack rewarded them with the opening goal. Kieron Ross was the man to slot Hoskins through on goal, a partnership that would work well for the entirety of the match. With just the Tynecastle ‘keeper to beat Hoskins slotted the ball neatly into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.
In another great example of this working relationship Broughty nearly doubled their advantage in the 11th minute. This time it was Hoskins playing a long pass to Ross but the number 20’s shot flew over the target.
Tynecastle then started to wrestle their way back into the game. Jack Cowan came close on the quarter of an hour mark with a low powerful shot at goal. Broughty’s ‘keeper, Scott Kirk, was on hand to make the save.
However, just a couple of minutes later the score was level at 1-1. Broughty conceded a free kick out on the left flank, which Swanson stepped up to take. With everyone expecting a cross the Tynecastle midfielder curled the ball in and it sailed straight into the top corner beyond the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper.
The away side continued to press on in search of another goal. Cowan came close yet again as he unleashed a fearsome strike at goal. However, Kirk executed a superb save and tipped the ball over the bar with a strong right hand.
The game then settled down with conditions starting to take their toll. The mud, wind and hail understandably reduced the energy levels. There was still time for Hoskins to have another pop at goal ten minutes before the half time break but it was well saved by Christopher Burt.
  • Half Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 1-1
  • Tynecastle FC
After a much needed break both teams came out for the second period looking to strike early. Aaron Nugent nearly scored for Tynecastle, when a cross almost sailed into the top corner before it was clawed away by Kirk, and Hoskins fired a shot later on that flew just past the post.
In the 66th minute Tynecastle were denied from going ahead by an outstanding piece of goalkeeping. A cross from the right flank was met by Ciaron Small just yards from goal. His effort, however, was stopped by a superb reflex save from Kirk. The ‘keeper got down well and parried the strike away with his hand and away from danger.
Despite the goalkeepers heroics, just a minute later Tynecastle did take the lead. Cowan made a great run down the left wing and fired a pinpoint cross into the penalty area. There to meet it at the back post was Cameron who headed home from close range.
With game reaching its closing stage it was all on Broughty to find an equaliser. However, with this increased pressure, teams tend to leave themselves open at the back. This nearly proved itself as Tynecastle almost profited form a break away. Small drove at the defence before teeing up Cowan for a shot at goal. The number 18 duly obliged but was denied by another superb save from Kirk. The ‘keepers right foot turned the shot away and it maintained hope for Broughty.
Jack Hogarth came close for Broughty six minutes from time but there was to be no comeback as Tynecastle defended their lead well. Eventually, after a monumental effort from both sets of players, given the circumstances, the referee brought the game to a close. Tynecastle were confirmed as the team to progress to the quarter finals following a well-matched tie with punishing conditions and plenty of goalkeeper cursing. On a day like that who’d be a goalie?
  • Full Time:
  • Broughty United
  • 1-2
  • Tynecastle FC


Broughty United
Tynecastle FC
2. Gavin Craik
3. Blair Whyte
4. Dominic Duffy
5. Edward Grant
6. Johnathan Cartwright
7. Cameron Hoskins
8. Callum Cook
9. Jack Hogarth
11. Ryan Connor
12. Connor Samson
13. Adam Brown
16. Andrew Kelly
18. Bradley Airlie
20. Kieron Ross
99. Scott Kirk
1.Christopher Burt
2.Jack Philp
3.Scott Hay
4.Matthew Quinn
5.Lewis Murray
7.Ryan Mayer
8.Dominic Foulkes
9.Ciaron Small
10.Daniel Cameron
12.Aaron Nugent
14.Hamish Levein
16.Matthew Mackenzie
17.Sonny Swanson
18.Jack Cowan
19.Ben Gardiner
20.Scott Page
Star Player
Broughty United
Tynecastle FC
Cameron Hoskins – worked well in tandem with Ross in the game and was excellent at pressing up top. Unlucky not to come away with 2 or 3 goals.
Sonny Swanson – excellent in midfield and kept the play moving. Not too bad a goal either.
Magic Moment
Broughty United
Tynecastle FC
Scott Kirk’s save on the 66th minute – superb reactions on show to deny from close range. A shame for him that the winner came so soon afterwards.
Swanson’s goal – If he meant it, and let’s say he did, then wow. Caught everybody by surprise.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments