Home My YFS

Dramatic late winner sees East Kilbride triumph in Scottish Cup final

East Kilbride FC Blue 2

Buick 55’, Stewart 65’

PFD United 1

McLaughlin 45’
  • Sunday, 22 May 2016
  • Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie
  • Under 14´s
  • inspiresport Scottish Youth FA Cup

East Kilbride FC Blue lifted their first Scottish Cup after a dramatic late winner against PFD United. It capped off a memorable rollercoaster journey that included eight-goal thrillers (5-3 against Linwood Rangers), eight-goal wins (vs Donside Juveniles) and a penalty shootout win (over Glenvale AFC). On top of that was an impressive quarter-final victory, in extra time, against Syngenta Juveniles, a club that has won two Scottish Cups in the last ten years, as well as a 5-0 triumph over Fraserburgh Link Up in the previous round.
For their opponents, PFD United, the journey to Airdrie was similarly spectacular, with a 10-1 win over Rosebank Utd and a seaside trip to Ayr serving up a 4-2 victory against Valspar. There was a nail-biting semi-final penalty shootout that sealed their place in the final but they just couldn’t overcome the final hurdle.
PFD were the better team for much of the first half but couldn’t find the breakthrough as both teams went into half time at 0-0. However, Kieran McLaughlin gave PFD the lead early on in the second half. A Logan Buick inspired East Kilbride responded as the number seven levelled, in the 55th minute, before assisting Greig Stewart’s headed winner five minutes from time. It was  cup final that featured two very well-matched sides. 
PFD United began the final in a promising fashion as they applied some early pressure. For the first 10 minutes East Kilbride struggled to get out of their own half.
In the 13th minute it looked as if that early pressure may have been rewarded as PFD came close to opening the scoring. Joe Boothwas played through on goal but East Kilbride goalkeeper, Jacques Heraghty, was alert to parry away Booth’s shot. McLaughlin latched onto the rebound and diverted the ball back towards goal but, this time, Marc McQuade managed to make a crucial goalline clearance. PFD claimed that the ball had crossed the line but their appeals were to no avail.
East Kilbride were starting to gain a foothold in the game but PFD were still looking the most likely to notch an opening goal. Jude Crawley attempted a curling effort, in the 23rd minute, but Heraghty was able to claim it with relative ease.
The cup final soon became bogged down in midfield and, as half time arrived, the game remained goalless. Considering what was to transpire, PFD would rue those missed chances that came about in a half where they had overall control.
  • Half Time:
  • East Kilbride FC Blue
  • 0-0
  • PFD United
PFD continued to show real attacking intent at the start of the second half. Booth managed to get in behind the defence, once again, but Heraghty was there to deny him just as before.
East Kilbride were starting to put on a more purposeful display but, despite this, PFD managed to grab the opener in the 45th minute. The diminutive McLaughlin was the man to nod home after he latched onto a flick on, from a corner kick.
Chances were at a premium for the next 10 minutes until Buick brought the game back into life. With East Kilbride’s first clear-cut chance of the game, the super-sub met the ball, following a hopeful cross into the box, and fired it into the back of the net to make it 1-1.
Buoyed by his equalising goal, Buick was beginning to orchestrate the cup final. In the 60th minute he played a neat one-two, with Josh Haughey, which presented him with a chance in the box. Unfortunately, for him, his connection wasn’t as clean as his leveller and his tame effort went straight into the hands of Redmond Buchanan.
With game starting to tick into its closing stages East Kilbride looked to be the team with the momentum. As is often said in football momentum is such a key component. Once again it proved to be the case.
Five minutes from time Buick delivered a free kick, from the right flank, into the penalty area. Stewart then rose above everyone else and headed the ball into the back of the net. If you’re going to grab yourself a winning goal then five minutes before the full time whistle is the perfect time to get it!
Sure enough, with so little time remaining, PFD were unable to muster a comeback and the final whistle soon arrived. East Kilbride were crowned Scottish Cup champions as an inspired substitution played a large part in their victory. No doubt Buick, and his teammates, will remember this day for a long while to come.
  • Full Time:
  • East Kilbride FC Blue
  • 2-1
  • PFD United


East Kilbride FC Blue
PFD United
1. Jacques Heraghty
2. Ruairidh MacGregor
3. Alistair Murray
4. Shay Livingston
5. Marc McQuade
6. Campbell Tough
7. Logan Buick
8. Greig Stewart
9. Chris Duke
10. Sam Ghoul
11. Lewis Milligan
14. Josh Haughey
15. Ross Shaw
17. Cameron Stuart
19. Matthew McGlone
20. Dylan Beaton
1. Redmond Buchanan
2. Liam Smith
3. Kyle Pritchard
4. Jack Gibbon
5. Rian Kelly
6. Gillies O’Hanlon
7. Lewis Conley
8. Mathew O’Malley
9. Jack Geddes
10. Jay McCallum
11. Kieran McLaughlin
12. Ross McCormack
17. Connal McQuillan
18. Jude Crawley
19. Joe Booth
20. Nathan Kerr
Star Player
East Kilbride FC Blue
PFD United
Logan Buick – Made an instant impact after coming on as a substitute. Gave his side far more creativity going forward as well as grabbing a goal, and an assist, for himself. Not a bad performance at all!
Joe Booth – The front man was desperately unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. However, he acted as a great outlet for his team and worked tirelessly out of possession.
Magic Moment
East Kilbride FC Blue
PFD United
Greig Stewart’s goal – Has to be doesn’t it? A late winner is synonymous with magic moments!
When McLaughlin so nearly scored in the 13th minute – denied only by a last ditch goalline clearance it looked as if PFD were going to make an ideal start to the final.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments