Home My YFS

Tynecastle dump Dryburgh en route to quarter finals

Dryburgh Athletic 0

Tynecastle FC 4

Alapiki 37', 52', Ngwenya 45', Jardine 77'
  • Sunday, 04 December 2016
  • South Road
  • Under 15´s
  • inspiresport SYFA Cup - R5

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Tynecastle FC booked their place in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup with a convincing 4-0 win over Dryburgh Athletic. The hosts are unbeaten in the G Taylor League, but fell behind just before the break. Tynecastle found the net on three further occasions in the second half as they ran out comfortable winners.
Dryburgh goalkeeper Aaron Cosgrove was called into action after six minutes. The keeper did well to deal with Jacques Crane’s effort from distance.
It was clear that the pitch was having an impact on both sides, as both resorted to long balls in an attempt to fashion an opportunity. Tynecastle had a golden opportunity after 11 minutes, when Ivan Alapiki set up Kieran Ngwenya on the top of the box, but the Tynecastle skipper fired his shot over the bar.  
Dryburgh were struggling to impose themselves on the match, but looked dangerous on the counter attack. The hosts would have been in on goal after 18 minutes, if not for a composed piece of defending by Josh Winnik, who did well to cut out a pass that had left the Tynecastle defence exposed.
The hosts had Cosgrove to thank keeping the score level after 29 minutes. The keeper did well to keep out Kyle Robertson’s free kick, and then pounce on the loose ball that Scott Hunter was preparing to tap in to the empty net.
Dryburgh were beginning to see more of the ball as the half wore on, but were failing to trouble Aaron Heap in the Tynecastle goal. As it looked like the teams would go off level at the break, Tynecastle took the lead.
Hunter did well to create a yard of space on the left wing, and sent in a cross towards Alapiki, who’s header looped over Cosgrove into the side netting. It was a goal that, on the balance of play the visitors deserved, but one that Cosgrove will know that he should have done better with.
The visitors nearly doubled their lead before the break. Aidan Nelson picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on Hunter, and the resulting free kick fell to the winger, who did well to create space for himself, but fired his shot over the crossbar.
  • Half Time:
  • Dryburgh Athletic
  • 0-1
  • Tynecastle FC
As the second half got underway, it was clear that the next goal in this game would be crucial. Ross McNaughton’s effort brought a save out of Heap, before Cosgrove produced a fine stop to keep out Hunter’s effort. Whether it was a mishit cross or an attempt to catch the keeper out at his near post, only the Tynecastle man knows.
The resulting corner broke to Ngwenya on the top of the box, and the Tynecastle skipper curled the ball around the oncoming defender and into the top left corner of the goal, giving Cosgrove no chance. With just five minutes of the second half played, Dryburgh were now facing an uphill struggle to keep their Scottish Cup dreams alive.
With 52 minutes gone, any chance of a Dryburgh comeback was ended by Alapiki. The hosts had changed to a back three as they searched for a way back into the game, but this proved to be costly as Alapiki was sent through on goal, before slotting past Cosgrove.
Dryburgh did manage to put the ball in the net after 64 minutes, but the goal was disallowed. McNaughton was ordered to pass the ball back to Heap following the Tynecastle keeper receiving treatment, but the Dryburgh man lifted the ball into the net, and picked up a yellow card for his troubles.
Tynecastle continued to put Dryburgh to the sword, and added a fourth with three minutes remaining. A quick corner allowed Ngwenya to send in a low cross that Scott Jardine bundled towards the goal. Cosgrove managed to push the ball away, but the referee had judged that the ball was across the line, despite the protests of the Dryburgh players.
It was clear from an early stage this afternoon that this match was going to be a match with free-flowing passing football, it was going to be a battle. Tynecastle won their battles all over the pitch, and stopped Dryburgh from playing their game. With their Scottish Cup dreams now over, Dryburgh will turn their attentions to winning the league and local cups, something that at this stage of the season, looks well within the realms of possibility.
As for Tynecastle, they go marching on into the quarter finals, full of belief that this might just be their year.
  • Full Time:
  • Dryburgh Athletic
  • 0-4
  • Tynecastle FC


Dryburgh Athletic
Tynecastle FC
99. Aaron Cosgrove
2. Dylan Smeaton
3. Arron Flynn
4. Aidan Nelson
5. Cory Finnigan
6. Keillor Lowe
7. Brandon McGinnis
8. Kalin Jones
9. Ross McNaughton
10. Ben Wilson
11. Sol Heary
12. Ryan McKay
14. Daryl Tosh
15. Marcus Gray
16. Ewan Stewart
1. Aaron Heap
2. Jack Gammie
3. Luke Wilkie
4. Josh Winnik
5. Scott Jardine
6. Jacques Crane
7. Scott Hunter
8. Evan Scott
9. Jack Carr
10. Ivan Alapiki
11. Kieran Ngwenya
12. Kyle Robertson
14. Steven Shore
16. Ross Watson
17. Dean Murray
19. Aaron Matheson
Star Player
Dryburgh Athletic
Tynecastle FC
Aaron Cosgrove - The Dryburgh keeper kept his side in the game for most of the first half and kept the score down in the second. A decent performance in difficult circumstances.
Ivan Alapiki - Bagged a brace and did well to bring the wingers into play. A real handful for the Dryburgh defenders, who will be glad not to be playing against players of his stature every week.
Magic Moment
Dryburgh Athletic
Tynecastle FC
Cosgrove's Save from Hunter - The Dryburgh keeper did well to readjust and keep out the wingers cross-cum-shot.
Ngwenya's Goal - A superb effort at a crucial time in the game. A goal worthy of winning any match.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments