Home My YFS

Queen's rescue point against Celtic

Queen's Park 2

Docherty 51, Dunn 78

Celtic FC 2

Robertson 2 (pen), 38
  • Wednesday, 08 November 2017
  • Lesser Hampden
  • Under 17´s
  • City of Glasgow Cup

Craig Edwards | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Queen’s Park fought back from two down to rescue a point against holders Celtic in the group stage of the City of Glasgow Cup. Celtic had led through two goals from Scott Robertson but a Kyle Docherty penalty and Scott Dunn header meant the points were shared at Lesser Hampden.

The visitors got off to the perfect stop as two minutes in, Ross Paton was adjudged to have tripped Robertson in the penalty box. Robertson took the penalty and sent Kieron McDougall the wrong way to give Celtic an early lead.

Queen’s Park fought back in what was a very even contest but it took to the half hour mark for number Ryan Mullen to be forced into a save as Lee Whitmore drove down the right but the keeper was equal to it. Mullen was called into action again a few minutes later but once again was able to deny Whitmore from equalising.

Those saves would be crucial for Celtic as they doubled their lead seven minutes before the break. The Hoops had looked dangerous from corners throughout the first half and on this occasion, Robertsons delivery was perfect as it looped over the keeper and found its way into the far corner of the net.

Celtic had the chance to extend their lead when number Karamoko Dembele picked up a loose pass from Queen’s Park but his effort drifted just wide of the right hand post.


  • Half Time:
  • Queen's Park
  • 0-2
  • Celtic FC

Queen’s Park came out for the second half fighting to get back into the game and were unlucky not to get one back straight away. A corner caused chaos in the Celtic penalty box with three goal-bound shots being blocked by the visiting players. The Hoops almost made the home side pay but their counter attack ended with the ball in the side-netting.

The hosts got the chance to get one back a few minutes later when Mullen brought down Michael Ruth in the box and the striker made no mistake by blasting the penalty past the keeper to reduce the lead to one.

Both sides pressed for the fourth goal of the game with Steven Bradley causing many problems down the left wing for the Queen’s Park defence but the visitors were unable to get past the stubborn hosts backline. McDougall made a terrific double save to keep the hosts in the game and ten minutes later, they equalised.

A free kick from the halfway line was sent deep and Dunn powered a header towards the keeper, who was only able to palm the ball into the roof of the net.

Both sides had chances to clinch all three points with both keepers making good saves as the match ended in a thrilling draw to see both sides move on to four points in the group and give Queen’s Park a first point against Celtic in many years.


  • Full Time:
  • Queen's Park
  • 2-2
  • Celtic FC


Queen's Park
Celtic FC
1. Kieron McDougall
2. Scott Dunn
3. Joel Taylor
4. David Devine
5. Nicholas McAllister
6. Ross Paton
7. Lee Whitmore
8. Luke Main
9. Kyle Docherty
10. Michael Ruth
11. Steven Bradley
12. Ciaran McAnnich
14. John McLaren
15. Simon Miller
16. Robert Perrie
1. Ryan Mullen
2. Liam Morrison
3. Andy Kerr
4. Ewan Otto
5. Jack McDowall
6. Dylan Forrest
7. Connor Farrelly
8. Barry Coffey
9. Kiaran McGrath
10. Scott Robertson
11. Karamoko Dembele
12. Josh Jack
13. Joshua Bradley Hurst
14. Christopher McQueen
15. Brody Paterson
16. Aidan Gibb
17. Scott Cusick
18. Christopher McKenna
Star Player
Queen's Park
Celtic FC
Lee Whitmore - Caused problems down the wing and looked dangerous
Scott Robertson - Scored twice and looked to have secured the three points for Celtic
Magic Moment
Queen's Park
Celtic FC
The equaliser that sparked scenes of celebration as they fought back to get a point.
The stunning corner that looped over the goalkeeper.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments