Home My YFS

Porteous stuns Celtic with late double to extend Hibees lead

Hibernian FC 3

Shaw, Porteous (2)

Celtic FC 2

Aitchison, Henderson
  • Saturday, 10 March 2018
  • Hibs Training Centre
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League
Hibernian hosted Celtic in a rare SPFL Development weekend match, held at the Hibs Training Centre in East Lothian. Despite the recent torrid weather in Edinburgh, the surface was playable and the game went ahead, sandwiched in between Friday evening and Sunday afternoon derby matches for the respective first team sides.

The SPFL Development League is shaping up for an exciting run in. Celtic were many people's favourites to reclaim the crown they lost last year to Ross County. However, with UEFA Youth League and other commitments, they have racked up a number of postponements, building up a bank of games in hand. The Hoops still looked on course to climb towards the table's summit, but recent defeats to Aberdeen and Kilmarnock have set them back.
In the mean time, the bright crop of Hibs youngsters had been taking full advantage. An impressive eight wins in their last nine matches saw the Hibees top the table, three points clear of second place Dundee with a game in hand. They now led Celtic by fourteen points, having played five games more.
The match started at a high tempo, with two good footballing sides aiming to get the ball on the deck and play it out from the back. With a recent lack of first team action, Oli Shaw was starting for Hibs and it didn't surprise many to see the prolific Development League striker open the scoring. A well taken finish was the difference between the sides at the interval.
  • Half Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 1-0
  • Celtic FC
If the first half had been largely contested in midfield, the second half was a much more end to end affair. Despite Hibs edging the first half, their slender lead was fragile and so it proved. Midway through the second half Jack Aitchison found the net, putting his side on level terms.
And little over ten minutes later the match was turned on its head. Ewan Henderson found the net from a corner, to give Celtic a 2-1 lead with under 20 minutes remaining.
Time appeared to be running out for the home side. However, they were presented a set piece opportunity and Jamie Gullane's free kick was bulleted home by the head of Ryan Porteous.
With 90 minutes come and gone, it looked like both sides would have to settle for a share of the spoils. However, the drama wasn't finished yet. In the second minute of stoppage time the Hibs goalscorers combined to win the game. Shaw managed to keep the ball in play on the touch line and his delivery was met by a diving header from Porteous to clinch victory for his side.
A thrilling match, which both teams deserve a lot of praise for their part in. Hibs now have a six point lead at the top of the table with seven matches remaining. However, only a fool would write Celtic off. The teams also meet in the semi-final of the Scottish FA Youth Cup, in a tie due to take place in the coming weeks at Easter Road Stadium.
  • Full Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 3-2
  • Celtic FC


Hibernian FC
Celtic FC
F. Murray
I. Murray
Star Player
Hibernian FC
Celtic FC
Despite his first team impact, Ryan Porteous is still 18 and would have another year as an U20 player. He is extremely impressive for his age and was dominant at both ends today.
Ewan Henderson was a constant threat for Celtic. A very bright talent.
Magic Moment
Hibernian FC
Celtic FC
The late winner from Porteous sparked celebrations in the Hibs camp.
Aitchison's well taken equaliser came at the perfect time for Celtic, as they took the second half by the scruff of the neck.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments