Home My YFS
Sunday, 08 April 2012 18:48

Vale progress to final with shootout win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)
East Vale Under 19s
Woodside BC Under 19s
Competition: AFYFC League Cup semi-final
Venue: East Vale Park
Date: 08/04/2012
Author: Sam Robertson
East Vale progressed to the Under 19s League cup final after a penalty shootout victory over Woodside on a blustery day in Windygates. The home side came from behind twice to force the shootout and deserved their victory.
It was difficult to predict the favourites for this game as East Vale were top of the first division but a Woodside were victorious over Vale just a week before in the Fife Cup final. A close game was the prediction with East Vale looking for revenge on the visitors.
The game started quickly with both sides creating early chances. The first chance fell to East Vale when Chrissy Wilson found himself in front of goal but fluffed his volley wide. The home side continued to dominate the early exchanges and a good chance was presented on 5 minutes when a one-two between Chrissy Wilson and Jack Gartshore led to a good chance for Wilson but he volleyed wide.
Woodside's first chance came on 8 minutes when Ryan Kelly's cross found Kieron Wood in the box but he blasted his shot high and wide. The net chance fell to the home side when Paul Band's corner was headed just off target by Dylan Honeyman. Vale coninued to press and on 26 minutes they were denied by a solid save from Connor Christie. Daniel Shield played through Jack Gartshore but Christie got out well to deny the vale midfielder.
It was Woodside who took the lead, however, on 42 minutes when Chris Price's excellent cross found Kevin Johnston at the back post who headed home. The home side had dominated much of the first half but the Woodside held the lead at half time. 
Half Time: East Vale Under 19s 0-1 Woodside BC Under 19s
The second half started with few chances and the first came on 58 minutes when Woodside's Ryan Kelly blazed over after some good build up play from the visitors. The next chance fell to Vale, 10 minutes later when Dylan Honeyman burst through the Woodside defence but couldn't keep his shot down.
Woodside then went 2-0 up on 72 minutes when a seemingly harmless ball was spilled by the Vale 'keeper and allowed Kieron Balfour to pounce and double the visitors lead. The home side were quick to react and got a goal back 2 minutes later when Jack Gartshore turned and fired a left foot volley home. Vale back in the game with 15 minutes left.
East Vale found their equaliser on 78 minutes when substitute Dereck Kiellor got on the end of a cross which fizzed across the face of goal. A deserved equaliser for Vale who had dominated the majority of the match.
Neither side created any late chances and with the scores level at 2-2, the game headed into extra time.
The first half of extra time, only two chances arised. Both for Woodside.  Firstly, on 95 minutes, a free kick from Kieron Balfour was heading comfertably into the arms of Scott Barclay until a huge bobble off the surface caused a problem for the 'keeper and he did well to react and block the ball with his shoulder. 
Woodside then controversially took the lead on 105 minutes. Both Kieron Balfour and Scott Barclay challenged for the ball and the 'keeper looked to have won the ball and have a hold of it. The ball then ran free from Barclay's hands and Balfour scored and got his second of the game. The East Vale players were furious with the ref claiming that the 'keeper had the ball secured in two hands. The referee dismissed these appeals and the goal stood.
The second period of extra time started and the home side looked to come from behind again to equalise. They did so on 115 minutes when the ball fell to the feet of winger Dylan Honeyman and he volleyed into the far corner.
Both sides pressed for a winner and the visitors almost won it in the 120th minute when Liam Craig broke through the Vale defence and poked the ball under Scott Barclay but it was inches past the wrong side of the post.
The game went all the way to a penalty shootout and East Vale were victorious winning 3-2.
Full Time: East Vale Under 19s 3-3 Woodside Under 19s (East Vale win 3-2 on pens)
East Vale Under 19s
Woodside BC Under 19s
1. Scott Barclay
2. Declan Guild
3. Scott Methven
4. Graham Some
5. Jordan Ovenstone
7. Dylan Honeyman
8. Paul Band
9. Chrissy Wilson
10. Daniel Shield
11. Jack Gartshore
19. Max McCarroll
12. Liam Kelly
15. Dereck Kiellor
16. Ryan Thomson
1. Connor Christie
2. Callum Kinnes
3. Kevin Johnston
4. Connor McManus
6. Chris Price
7. Lyall Robertson
9. Kieron Balfour
10. Gregor Colquhoun
11. Kieron Wood
15. Ryan Hush
16. Ryan Kelly
14. Liam Craig
17.Thomas Shields
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Scott Methven
Givova UK Man of the Match: Callum Kinnes
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 14:30
Sam Robertson

Sam Robertson | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments