Home My YFS
Monday, 18 March 2013 13:19

Ferry come from behind to bag win at Monifieth

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Monifieth Athletic
Ferry Athletic
Dewar 22
Munro 42, 66
Mitchell 44
Gray 63


U19 DDYFA President's League

mikeycolville reporter photo

By Michael Colville
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @mikeycolville

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

Monifieth vs Ferry President LeaugeMonifieth hosted Ferry Athletic at Riverview in what looked to be a close derby match, and despite Monifieth losing 4-1 it was a very tough game.

Not long after Ferry had kicked off they got a free kick and their first chance of the game. The ball was fired into the box, it bounced across the face of the goal but no one could tap it in. Ferry continued to press for an early goal, Cameron Macdonald was nearly through on goal but Kayode Oduyemi made a great tackle.

Monifieth then countered, they looked dangerous on the attack but Jamie Matheson’s ball up to Gregor Dewar was just too hard. Monifieth made another attack in the 5th minute, Stuart Brodie played a good ball up to Dewar. Adeel Ahmed made a strong tackle to stop the chance early.

Monifieth made a brilliant passing move up the pitch with some skilful passes in the 11th minute, Kieran Smart then looked to run into the box but Ferry defender Ben Middleton stopped him and got rid of the ball. Ferry then looked to counter, Ryan Mitchell made a run towards goal but Kayode Oduyemi made another good challenge.

A minute later Mitchell played a nice pass to Gary Scrimgeour in the box, Scrimgeour looked to take a shot but was tackled by Jamie Matheson who did well to cut out the chance. Ferry then had a corner. Callum Kinnear played the ball into the box. It went straight to Mitchell who struck a shot at goal but Monifieth goalie Callum Paul made a good save.

Monifieth started to press the Ferry defence. Gregor Dewar was in the box but Adeel Ahmed tackled him and won the ball. Dewar soon got a goal though, in the 22nd minute, the ball was played into the box and Dewar controlled it well to then slot it past the goal keeper making it 1-0 Monifieth.

Ferry kicked off and looked eager to get an equaliser. Dewar came close again when he took it around a Ferry defender to be one on one with the keeper, but Keith Mitchell made a fantastic save.

In the 27th minute Cameron MacDonald crossed the ball into the box but Callum Paul won it in the air and held it well. Soon after Cairn Gray then made a good run towards the box, he passed it to Ryan Mitchell on the right side of the box. Mitchell then hit the ball towards goal but the keeper managed to save the shot.

In the 34th minute Gregor Dewar was played through on to goal, but Keith Mitchell bravely came out to win the one on one. A minute later Lee Munro played Ryan Mitchell a great pass, he sprinted towards the Monifieth box but Kayode Oduyemi stopped him with a sliding tackle.

Cairn Gray came close to equalising in the 42nd minute. Gray beat a player and got into the Monifieth box, he struck the ball towards. The shot beat the keeper but rattled off the post. A minute later Ferry got their equalising goal, Callum Paul managed to save Cameron Macdonald’s shot but couldn’t save Lee Munro’s who made it 1-1.

Soon after the first goal Ryan Mitchell made it 2-1 to Ferry Athletic. Mitchell used great pace and dribbled into the right side of the box, he then smacked the ball into the net with a great finish not long before the half time whistle blew.

Half Time: Monifieth Athletic 1-2 Ferry Athletic 

Monifieth vs Ferry President LeaugeMonifieth kicked off, they looked like they weren’t ready to give up. Gregor Dewar nearly had the first chance of the second half but Keith Mitchell made a good save, there was some confusion though and looked like Dewar had been brought down by a defender.

Monifieth came close to equalising in the 52nd minute, a skilful chipped ball was played over the defence to Dewar who came close to scoring once again but Keith Mitchell made another great save.

A few minutes later Ferry almost extended their lead. Ryan Mitchell sprinted towards goal and strikes a wonderful shot towards goal, it managed to beat the keeper but was denied by the cross bar. Cameron Macdonald tried to finish the rebound but just missed.

Ferry Athletic scored another goal in the 63rd minute to make it 3-1. Cairn Gray showed great skill and composure in front of goal, Gray beat the defence by cutting back and forward and then slotted the ball past the keeper.

Ferry Athletic then made it 4-1 in the 66th minute. The ball was played into Lee Munro in the box who was unmarked and made the finish look easy.

Despite Ferry’s three goal lead Monifieth kept looking for chances to score. Kieran Smart came close in the 72nd minute, he was one on one with the Ferry goalie but his shot just scraped past the post. Soon after Smart was played through on goal, he took a powerful shot but Mitchell managed to save it well.

Kieran Smart played a great ball to Gregor Dewar, but before he could do anything Adeel Ahmed won the ball and cleared the danger. Monifieth continued to put pressure on the Ferry defence but they couldn’t score.

The final whistle blew and Ferry Athletic finished the game 4-1 ahead, Monifieth Athletic played well but Ferry took their chances and always looked dangerous upfront.  

Full Time: Monifieth Athletic 1-4 Ferry Athletic

Monifieth Athletic  Ferry Athletic
1. Callum Paul
2. Sam Taylor
3. Allan Wilson
4. Scott Hamilton
5. Stuart Brodie
6. Kieran Smart
7. Jordan Begg
8. Gary McCombie 
9. Craig McConnachie 
10. Kayode Oduyemi  
11.  Gregor Dewar
12. Logan Glen
14. John Miller
15. Blair Mudie
16. Jamie Matheson
1. Keith Mitchell
2. Ben Middleton
3. Ryan Kinnear
4. Adeel Ahmed 
5. Garry Scrimgeour
6. Cairn Gray
7. Adam Mill
8. Ryan Mitchell
9. Lee Munro
10. Calum Kinnear
11. Steven Wilcox
12. Cameron MacDonald
14. James Totty
15. Sean Mcintosh
16. Shaun Harper
17. Daniel Lochhead

Gregor Dewar was my man of the match as he scored Monifieth's goal and did well when attacking.

Lee Munro was my man of the match because he scored two good goals and played excellently throughout the match.
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 15:27
Michael Colville

Michael Colville | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments