Home My YFS
Sunday, 24 March 2013 22:41

Windsor see off Leith to boost title chances

Written by  Stuart Turnbull
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Leith Athletic
Musselburgh Windsor
U19 SERYFL Division 1
Haddington 3G
Given the arctic conditions we've had this week, the 3G parks were understandably in short supply as teams looked for other options. So much so that today's League game away against Leith Athletic would be contested at Haddington.

There have already been some great games this season between ourselves and Leith Ath. Today's also wouldn't disappoint as we snatched a 3-2 victory in the dying minutes of this tight game.

Ginge had a great chance to open the scoring after being picked out by Ewan un-marked on the edge of the box. Leith's defender recovered well and the chance was blocked.

However, minutes later he made amends after a poor clearance from their keeper. Ewan played it through 1st time, Ginge was lively onto the ball to beat the keeper to the race and slot it under him, 0-1.

Ginge had the ball in the net again but whistle had already gone for free kick on the edge of the box.

Our hosts looked right up for this game also as they had more of the ball along with several attempts on our goal, but our defence held firm.

Half Time: Leith Athletic 0-1 Musselburgh Windsor

Given their play we knew that Leith Ath were likely to score today so we would need to snatch another to give us a cushion. That plan never materialised as things were levelled up around the hour mark.

Leith Ath worked it well out wide on the left and a searching diagonal ball into the box had Cragga stretching. He got a head to it but as it dropped Leith's striker spun on it and drilled it home, 1-1.

With the equaliser driving them on, our opponents peppered our defence with chances. One of which got passed DL only Kieran to show great awareness and get in behind to clear it off the line!
We thwarted the danger and set about pushing on ourselves.

We won a corner and Jack Mac was quick to go for a shorty. With defenders closing him down he skipped passed two of them and drilled it low towards the front post. It was diverted goalwards but blocked by their keeper. Ben reacted quickest in the box (yes, really!!) to knock it over the grounded keeper and into the net, 1-2.

We had a glorious chance to put a bit daylight between ourselves and Leith as Jack Mac was played through up the left channel. With the keeper coming out to close him down he opted to prod it goalwards instead of attempting to round him. The result was the keeper got a strong arm to block his effort.
We never do things the easy way and today followed the same theme.

With our players looking for a handball decision deep in Leith's half that wasn't given, they were caught out with a long ball over the top. Leith's scorer was played clean through and his clinical low finish went under DL and into the net, 2-2, GAME ON.

The remaining 20 minutes were captivating as both teams went in search of the all important winner, you started to feel it was a case of next goal the winner in this well contested game.

Just as we started to feel we were gaining some momentum Leith would charge back up the park and apply pressure on our own defence.

We witnessed a spirited and determined shift from the lads today as they refused to settle for the draw and went in search of the winner. We thought we had snatched it with minutes remaining when Wayne played a great through ball for Jo. He only had the keeper to beat but despite his well struck low finish the keeper pulled off an exceptional block to knock the ball out wide.

However, Jo chased after the ball and cut it back to Jack Mac. Jack took a touch and from the corner of the box drilled a low shot across the keeper that he once again did very well to save. To everyone in Blue and White's delight, Ginge came charging in to bundle the loose ball over the line sparking the celebrations! 2-3!

(Not so much a Mourinho touchline run from Combie, more a snails paced sprint from someone who's best days are long gone!). It has to be said also after the pelters Ginge gets in every game he deserves great credit for gambling and being in the right place at the right time.

After last weeks half-hearted efforts we couldn't fault the boys today, as their battling spirit saw them clinch all 3 points, against a Leith Ath team who had the greater of the chances. All great teams grind out results when they appear to be up against it, and as the full time whistle sounded the boys were delighted that their collective efforts scooped the 3 points.

Huge credit goes to Leith Athletic today, who also worked extremely hard and made this humdinger of a game a great example of the fitba on display in this division.

No-one at the club is making any noises of the League being won just yet. However, after our victory today over one of our main rivals, it's going to take a HUGE effort for anyone to catch us now.

Well done today boys, enjoy the weekend, and let's look forward to our League game at home next week against Lochend.

Full Time: Leith Athletic 2-3 Musselburgh Windsor
Last modified on Thursday, 19 September 2013 11:03
Login to post comments