Home My YFS
Thursday, 18 April 2013 09:57

Stewarton survive elements to see off Barrhead

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Stewarton Annick
Barrhead Arthurlie YFC
U19  PJDYFL D2 Divisional Cup
Stewarton Sports Centre
Author: Ross Mitchell

These two sides met in difficult conditions at Stewarton Sports Centre as a strong, swirling wind caused havoc for either side.  Stewarton were looking for revenge on their guests as they were the only side to beat them so far in the Divisional Cup this season.  They got the win with a confident performance from the side who are looking for a League and Cup double this year.

The first chance of the match produced the first goal and it was wind-assisted.  A long throw came in from Stewarton’s right back – the wind caught the ball and it flew towards the back post.  The home side’s left winger, Taylor McGuiness, was alive to tap the ball in well to give his side the lead.

McGuiness was involved again as he doubled Stewarton’s lead midway through the first half.  The midfielder took a free kick from deep on the left hand side.  His free kick was played in low and nobody else was able to connect with the cross as the ball bounced into the net.

The hosts were in full control and were able to add their third goal of the day as the half time whistle went.  A corner came in from the left hand side.  The cross was drilled towards the penalty spot and the ball was deflected into his own net off of an unaware defender who was very unlucky.

Half Time:  Stewarton Annick 3 – 0 Barrhead Arthurlie YFC   
With the wind against them this half Stewarton were going to be up against it for large periods.  However, they started the better of the two sides and they got another goal after a powerful run from their striker.  He picked the ball up just inside the Barrhead half and he drove towards goal muscling passed two defenders and into the area.  He was confronted by the goalkeeper on the penalty spot.  The striker showed some skill to create some space and he was then able to tap the ball into an empty net to make the score 4-0.

After the goal Barrhead used the wind to their advantage and were able to pin Stewarton back inside their own penalty area as they could not clear the ball.  Their pressure paid off as they were able to get themselves on the scoresheet after a lovely cross was played in from their right hand side towards the backpost.  The striker got free inside the area and got a slight touch on the ball to redirect it into the back of the net.

Throughout the remainder of the half, Barrhead had the territorial advantage but were not able to create anything of note thanks to Stewarton’s strong defence.  The game finished 4-1 to the hosts as they look to keep up their momentum in the strong season they are having.

At full time, Stewarton deserved the win.  They were the much better side in the first half and could have been further in front at half time.  In the second half they stood strong against Barrhead’s possession and the wind to ensure the victory.
Full Time:  Stewarton Annick 4 – 1 Barrhead Arthurlie YFC
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 00:26
Login to post comments