Home My YFS

Aberdeen and Hibernian go the distance but Edinburgh side progress

Aberdeen 1

Shankland 38

Hibernian 1

Allan 66
  • 1-1 AET (Hibs win 4-2 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 02 November 2014
  • Pittodrie
  • Under 20´s
  • Scottish Youth Cup

Scott McPherson | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

2009 Scottish Youth Cup winners Hibernian will be in the hat for the fourth round of this year’s competition after edging past Aberdeen 4-2 on penalties at Pittodrie. Lawrence Shankland opened the scoring for the hosts on 38 minutes but that was cancelled out by Lewis Allan’s strike in the second half of normal time. 120 minutes couldn’t separate the two sides but penalties did, with Neil Martyniuk converting the decisive spot kick. 
That result means new Hibernian manager Joe McBride is still unbeaten after five games in charge of the Edinburgh outfit. Before Sunday’s game, McBride had enjoyed wins against Rangers and Kilmarnock respectively, as well as draws with St Johnstone and St Mirren. But he admits it is the players that deserve the credit. 
“I’m enjoying the role but the boys have been terrific, they really have been great.
“The four games previous to this one we’ve been playing some lovely football and the players have done things, something in every game which has pleased me. 
“We have scored some great goals and played really nice football. And last week we came back from two goals down to draw at St Mirren which showed fantastic character.”
The two teams had faced each other in the Development League earlier this season in August and Aberdeen ran out comfortable 4-0 winners on the day. Aberdeen also sit 12 points ahead of Hibernian in this season’s league table which would have made The Dons pre-match favourites to progress. 
But it was Hibernian who created the first meaningful chance of the game after six minutes. A cross from the left wasn’t death with by Kieran Gibbons and Taylor Hendry’s shot from point blank range was brilliantly saved by Aberdeen goalkeeper Bryce Billington.
From that moment on Aberdeen bossed the first half proceedings and they should have opened the scoring after 25 minutes. A great pass by Craig Storie allowed Cammy Smith to cross for Lawrence Shankland but he was thwarted by a last ditch block from Hibernian defender Aaron Dunsmore.
Aberdeen then threatened again 10 minutes later. Smith dispossessed the last defender and ran through on goal but his chipped shot fell straight into the arms of goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou.
The Reds eventually did take a deserved lead on 38 minutes. Great play by Michael Rose on the right wing saw his cross find Shankland in the middle of the penalty area and his shot from six yards eventually crossed the goal line via both posts. There was a nervous few seconds wait before the linesman flagged to signal the ball had crossed the line. 
Aberdeen had spent the majority of the first period in the ascendancy and would have been disappointed to only be one goal to the good at the interval.
  • Half Time:
  • Aberdeen
  • 1-0
  • Hibernian
The visitors came out for the second half a different team and were unlucky not to be level after 51 minutes. A great counter attack involving Cody Mulhall saw Allan cross for Hendry and his well directed header was acrobatically tipped over by Billington. From the resulting corner Hibernian came close again, this time stopped by Storie who was well placed to kick the ball off the goal line. 
So it came as no great surprise to anyone when Hibs did equalise after 66 minutes. A floated free-kick by Neil Martyniuk was only cleared as far as Allan and he emphatically smashed the ball into the net from eight yards out to make it 1-1.
After the goal both teams cancelled each other out, despite both managers making substitutions to try and change that. Somewhat inevitably, the game petered out into extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Aberdeen
  • 1-1
  • Hibernian
Hibernian began extra time well and nearly took the lead for the first time in the match after one minute. Conner Duthie’s run up the right wing ended with his shot rattling the woodwork and bouncing out away from danger.

Aberdeen played with the same high intensity from the first half of normal time in the second period of extra time and therefore created chances to win the game.

First, Shankland was played through by a neat pass by Smith but the goalkeeper was quick off his line to close the angle and block the striker’s shot. Then, Shankland again found time and space in the 18-yard box but this time his sweetly struck half-volley was well held by Perntreou.

As extra time came to a close and a penalty shootout loomed, both teams wasted one great chance each to win the tie and progress to the fourth round.

Hibs’ Allan escaped two challenges on the left wing before squaring for Hendry whose dragged shot could not be turned in from a yard by Sinclair.

Then, after 120 minutes of play, Aberdeen captain Scott McKenna squandered a golden chance to win the game when he headed over when unmarked and only six yards from goal.

The contest was to be settled by the ‘lottery’ of penalties.

Hibernian quickly took the initiative in the spot kicks, scoring their first two through Scott Martin and Lewis Allan while Aberdeen missed their first two, Craig Storie and Cammy Smith the guilty parties. Sinclair then scored Hibernian’s third penalty to make it 3-0. Lawrence Shankland then stepped up for Aberdeen- knowing he had to score to prolong the shootout- and he did, slotting straight down the middle. Aberdeen were then given a glimmer of hope when Hendry was denied by Billington and Michael Rose smashed home to make it 3-2 to Hibs after four penalties. But Neil Martyniuk stepped up knowing he’d win the tie for Hibernian if he could score, and he dully obliged sending Billington the wrong way.

It’s another disappointing Scottish Youth Cup campaign for Aberdeen, who were knocked out in the third round last season by Kilmarnock. The Dons haven’t won the trophy since 2001’s 2-0 final victory over Celtic.

Final Result: 1-1 AET (Hibs win 4-2 on penalties)


1. Bryce Billington
2. Michael Rose
3. Daniel Harvie
4. Craig Storie
5. Scott McKenna
6. Kieran Gibbons
7. Cem Felek
8. Marcus Campanile
9. Lawrence Shankland
10. Cameron Smith
11. Scott Wright
12. Jamie Henry
14. Francis Ross
15. Robbie Mutch
16. Michael Jones
17. Sam Robertson
1. Kleton Perntreou
2. Aaron Dunsmore
3. Callum Crane
4. Neil Martyniuk
5. Jordan McGregor
6. Tom Gardiner
7. Conner Duthie
8. Scott Martin
9. Lewis Allan
10. Cody Mulhall
11. Max James Todd
12. Jordan Sinclair
14. Taylor Graham Hendry
15. Sean Brennan
16. Gareth McCaffrey
17. Craig Stirling
Star Player
Michael Rose was solid throughout and did exceptionally well to set up Shankland’s goal, but he has just been edged out by midfielder Marcus Campanile. Campanile was involved in almost every good thing Aberdeen did on the day. His direct running and passing created openings for his team and problems for Hibernian. He also had a couple of well taken shots which brought out good saves from the Hibs goalkeeper. Campanile and Craig Storie formed a menacing central midfield partnership, with Storie giving Campanile the license to roam.
Both Hibernian full backs were outstanding but I am giving it to lone striker and goal scorer Lewis Allan. Goals win games and he got his, and scored his all important penalty. Out with his brilliantly taken goal, his selfless running and link-up play created numerous chances for his midfield runners. On a day where both teams looked like cancelling each other out, Allan was a constant threat.
Magic Moment
The moment when the linesman finally raised his flag to signal Shankland’s goal had crossed the line. A mixture of joy and relief would have struck The Dons, who had finally taken the lead their good play and effort had warranted.
Neil Martyniuk’s winning penalty sparked great celebratory scenes with every Hibernian player running to celebrate and congratulate him. The whole Hibs team celebrated their very hard earned victory in one of the corners of Pittodrie stadium.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments