Home My YFS

Spartans progress after win away to Blackburn United

Written by 


Blackburn United
Spartans FC
U19 Scottish Cup, Round Three
Blackburn Community Centre
02 November 2014
Blackburn v Spartans FC U19s in Scottish Cup 3rd Round on Sunday 2nd November 2014 Kick off 1:30 pm at Blackburn Community Pitch.
This game was rearranged from the previous Sunday due to the initial match being abandoned by the referee as Spartans FC player Jamie Cairns required an ambulance for treatment to a fractured ankle.
A bright start by both sides saw Spartans soaking up early pressure and in the third minute a great through ball by tricky winger Peter Wood on  the break found Steven Havelin who quickly crossed the ball in from the right touchline to find his strike partner Aaron Murrell who smashed a left foot volley into the postage stamp corner of the net.
End to end stuff right through the first half saw Spartans soaking up the pressure and playing superbly  on the counter attack, with great chances falling to Murrell, Havelin, Danny Cameron, Severyn Syska.
Blackburn had a spell of sustained pressure near the end of the first half and won four corners in succession, eventually scoring from a great ball whipped in, Spartans keeper Paton seemed to push the ball right onto the head of a Blackburn player McFoul and the ball ended up in the back of the net. 
Half Time : Blackburn United 1-1 Spartans FC
The 2nd half started with Spartans on the front foot, attack after attack saw a spell of fifteen minutes where they scored twice, but could easily have scored another few
Firstly, a great run from deep by Tony Hepburn, playing a quick 1-2 with Havelin saw him smash a left footed strike home from twenty five yards. 
Havelin, Murrell, Wood and substitute Fayks all went close in this fifteen minute period, with the Blackburn keeper doing well to keep the ball out the net. 
He was thwarted however, a great ball in from the right wing by Wood found  Murrell who slotted the ball home from a tight angle to grab his twenty eighth goal in fourteen games this season.
Blackburn were reduced to one chance in the second half when a great strike from the left of the box was tipped over superbly by the ever alert Paton in goal.
The last twenty minutes saw Spartans frustrate their opponents by keeping the ball, the Spartans defence superbly marshalled by Blair Lawson and Lee Horribine & Blackburn were reduced to ten men, having had a player red carded for a cynical foul on substitute Dawid Fayks.
A fantastic performance by Spartans in a very difficult fixture against very tough opponents.
Full Time : Blackburn United 1-3 Spartans FC
Login to post comments