Home My YFS

Winter sunshine on Leith as Hibs see off Killie threat

Hibernian FC 3

Hendry 60, Dunsmore 71, Martyniuk (pen) 90

Kilmarnock FC 1

Hawkshaw 46
  • Friday, 07 November 2014
  • Easter Road Stadium
  • Under 20´s
  • Scottish FA Youth Cup

Hibernian U20's extended their unbeaten run to eleven games after defeating their Kilmarnock counterparts 3-1 in the fourth round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup at Easter Road.

The Hibernian youngsters replied with goals from Hendry, Dunsmore and Martyniuk after Kilmarnock went in front very early on in the second half through a Hawkshaw strike.

The Easter Road men came through a hard battle against Aberdeen in the third round and eventually secured their passage to this stage of the competition winning 4-2 on penalties whilst the men from East Ayrshire had a more comfortable passage when they eased past Huntly with a convincing 9-0 third round win.

It was the men from Ayrshire that tested first. They won a corner in the first 30 seconds of this encounter but Connor Duthie cleared the danger at the back post for the home side. Hibs repaid the compliment when Callum Crane played in Taylor Hendry who shot over from 10 yards out.

Hibs next chance came after Aaron Dunsmore played a quick free kick to Neil Martyniuk who took the ball for a run and played in a teasing ball across the face of goal but sadly their were no takers for the men in green.

The tempo of the game resembled a training game at times with both teams seeming to cancel each other out especially in midfield.

The next chance of any real note came with 23 minutes gone after Martin and Hendry combined well to set up Duthie but the Hibs front man sent his header just over the bar.

Killie came closest to opening the scoring with 10 minutes to go to half time when Sam Lidington cross ball from the left was met by Muirhead but his deft header went just wide of the post.

A rather non eventful first half came to an end with Perntreou and Mackay in their respective goals not really having to exert themselves.

  • Half Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 0-0
  • Kilmarnock FC

The second half was hopefully going to offer a bit more than the first and it certainly did as the visitors took the lead a minute into the second half. A ball played across the front of the Hibs box was met by Hawkshaw who finished well to put his team in front.

Mulhall came close to getting his side level shortly afteer, but his well hit strike 18 yards out just went agonisingly wide. 

The impressive Mulhall was the architect of Hibs equaliser in the 60th minute when he played a lovely weighted ball into the path of Hendry who from four yards out slotted the ball past Mackay. Cries of offside from the Kilmarnock players were waved aside and rightly so because Hendry timed his run brilliantly.

The winter sunshine was certainly on Leith when the home side went in front on the 71st minute through Dunsmore. He charged down the right hand side and cut into the box to hit a powerful drive across goal into the far corner to send the home support into raptures.

With just over 10 minutes left on the clock Kilmarnock needed to up their game but seemed happy still to just play hopeful long balls up the park with the men from Leith sending them back where they came from.

The home side were in control now and created a few good chances with Martin setting up Jordan McGregor who headed just over and then Gareth McCaffrey caused problems after driving into the box but his shot was deflected of the keeper at the near post just a yard out for a corner.

The ball was at the wrong end of the park for the visitors with only minutes remaining controversy ensued. McCafferty was in on goal after picking the ball up in midfield but Killie’ Pooler decided to halt his progress just outside the 18 yards box when he clearly pulled the Hibernian player back. A clear goal scoring opportunity and it looked like the visitors would finish with ten men but the referee decided to issue Pooler with a yellow card. 

Much annoyance of the Killie players and bench though, the referee awarded the Easter Road men a penalty when the foul looked to have occured outside the box. Hibs were not complaining and Martyniuk stepped up and found the top right hand corner leaving Mackay with no chance to put this cup tie beyond Killie once and for all.

Into added on time Mackay was lucky not to see red after bringing down Max Todd in the box when he was in on goal but the ref decided the penalty was punishment enough and showed the keeper a yellow card. Martyniuk stepped up to try and covert his second spot kick within minutes of his last successful attempt but Mackay guessed correctly that he would go the same way as the last time and pulled off a super save to his left to deny the Hibs captain of his second successful spot kick of the day.

The final result was probably the right one at the end of the day with the home side doing enough to go through to the quarter final draw. 

  • Full Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 3-1
  • Kilmarnock FC


Hibernian FC
Kilmarnock FC
1. Kleton Perntreou
2. Aaron Dunsmore
3. Callum Crane
4. Tom Gardiner
5. Jordon McGregor
6. Neil Martyniuk
7. Jordan Sinclair
8. Scott Martin
9. Cody Mulhall
10. Taylor Hendry
11.Connor Duthie
13. Sean Brennan (gk)
14. Gareth McCaffrey
15. Max Todd
16. Ben Sterling
1. Devlin Mackay
2. Mark Thomson
3. Sam Lidington
4. Aaron Splaine
5. Adam Hodge
6. David Syme
7. Scott McLean
8. Dean Hawkshaw
9. Robbie Muirhead
10. Mark O'Hara
11. Greg Kilte
12. Greg Taylor
13. Ryan Millar (gk)
14. Dylan Pooler
15. Jack Whittaker
16. Iain Wilson
Star Player
Hibernian FC
Kilmarnock FC
Scott Martin was like a tenacious Jack Russell for home side today as he scrapped for everything in the midfield and showed great appetite for the game. Martin caused problems for the visitors down the wing but also continually popped up all over the midfield area and created good options for his team mates.
Robbie Muirhead who was a threat all day for the visitors and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. Always to looked to create opportunities for himself but also for his team mate. A great work ethis as he worked hard of the ball and not just when he had it in his possession.
Magic Moment
Hibernian FC
Kilmarnock FC
Taylor Hendry's well timed run to keep on side to get his team level at 1-1.
Devlin Mackay's penalty save to his left hand side to deny Neil Martyniuk scoring his second spot kick in a matter of minutes.
Club Views
Hibernian FC
Kilmarnock FC
Joe McBride, head coach of Hibernian Fc U20's, said: "I thought we deserved to win. The first half we were a little bit tentative at times and made the wrong decisions when we were in good areas and situations.

Obviously going down to a goal right at the start of the second half was not great but I was delighted with the reaction after the goal and I thought we came on strong again and created some great chances. We took three of them but probably could have scored a few more but overall I am pleased at the end of the day."

Neil Martyniuk, captain of Hibernian Fc U20's, said: "i think the first half we played very well and think we passed Kilmarnock of the pitch to be fair. Second half it was more of a battle and end to end and I think we did well to get through in the end but think we deserved it so happy to get through."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments