Home My YFS

Two goal Watt fires Aberdour to victory over Kirkcaldy YM

Aberdour 2

Watt 46, 65

Kirkcaldy YM 1

Hendry 55
  • Sunday, 15 February 2015
  • Hawkcraig Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Domestic Supplies First Division

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Two goals from Daniel Watt earned Aberdour an important win over Kirkcaldy YM in the Domestic Supplies First Division on Sunday, as they closed the gap on their rivals at the top of the league. Kyle Hendry scored for the visitors, but it was not enough to stop Aberdour taking all three points from an entertaining game at Hawkcraig Park.
Following a prolonged run in the Scottish Cup, Aberdour still hold at least three games in hand over the four teams directly above them and put themselves in good shape to make a late charge for the summit after victory over a Kirkcaldy side who started the day in second place.
The first half proved to be a tight affair, with both sides creating chances but failing to make them count.
Connor Kirton was quick to swing in a cross from the left after being picked out by Josh McPhie, but there was no-one in the box to take advantage of his low cross.
Hendry then tried to latch onto a ball over the top for the visitors, but Quinn Franklin was able to collect in the Aberdour goal.
Both sides looked well matched, and Craig Lowrie was next to try and break the deadlock for Kirkcaldy, shooting wide from the edge of the area. That chance was followed by a good run from Liam Macduff, who beat two players only to be stopped by a great tackle from Jay Buglass to send the ball out for a throw in. Hendry was again close with a header from a long throw, but Franklin was equal to it.
After resisting some early pressure from Kirkcaldy, Aberdour soon created a chance of their own, but not for the first time in the half Kirton saw his low cross flash across the face of the goal with no one there to meet it. Watt then went close to the opener, heading over from a well delivered free kick.
If there was to be a goal in the first half it felt like a set piece might provide it, and Kirkcaldy were almost the team to do so when Ryan Beaton swung in a free kick, and although a teammate connected with the ball it wasn’t enough to trouble the home defence. Scott Warrender was also unlucky to see a glancing header fall just wide of the mark.
The match was an entertaining one to watch as both teams tried to find a way through their opponents, and McPhie brought a good save from Sean Snaddon in the Kirkcaldy goal with a low shot after the ball was pulled back to him on the edge of the area. Zak Cruikshank was also unlucky when the ball fell to him following a cross from the left, his connection not good enough to end what was a good move with a goal.
Greg Hill was lively all afternoon for the hosts, and he saw two efforts in quick succession go unrewarded, first bringing a fine save from Snaddon with a header from point blank range, before cutting in from the left to unleash a curling right footed shot that sailed just wide of the top corner.
As half time approached both sides were stepping up their efforts to find an opener, and Marc Cameron had a chance for the visitors when he was released on the left, taking the ball well in his stride but shooting just wide of the near post.
However the best chance of the first half went to Aberdours’ Matthew Christie, when Hill charged forward, and after he was tackled the ball fell kindly to the arriving Christie who seemed certain to score, instead side footing wide of the post from six yards.
There was just enough time for Watt to try his luck once more for the home side, Christie played the ball through, but after reaching it before Snaddon, his chipped effort landed just the wrong side of the goal to ensure a good first half finished locked at 0-0.
  • Half Time:
  • Aberdour
  • 0-0
  • Kirkcaldy YM

If there were any doubts that the second half would not live up to the high standards set in the first, they were quickly put to bed as Aberdour came flying out of the traps.
A fantastic through ball by Cruikshank found Watt bearing down on goal, and he pulled a right footed shot across the face of the goalkeeper, which nestled in the back of the net via the inside of the far post.
The goal signalled the start of an early onslaught from the hosts, who quickly set about trying to double their lead as Hill turned in space to fire a left footed shot from a tight angle, but Snaddon was able to make the save.
Aberdour were now in full swing, and some great play between Watt and Jamie McNeish on the right ended with a shot from the latter, but his effort went harmlessly over the bar.
Kirkcaldy were not out of the game yet though, and only a superb last ditch tackle from Christie stopped Hendry from levelling the scores, before Beaton fired over from long range.
The hosts were then denied a second by a fine save from Snaddon, when Watt showed good strength to hold off his man inside the box, turn and fire a left footed show low into the far corner, only to see it turned behind by a wonderful one handed save from the visiting ‘keeper.
It was a chance Aberdour were left to rue just moments later, as Shane Dempster stepped forward purposely from midfield and found a pinpoint through ball to release Hendry, who showed great composure to poke the ball under the onrushing Franklin to level the scores. It could have been even worse for the home side not long after, but Kieran Barclay headed over from close range to keep the scores at 1-1.
As the game entered the final twenty minutes it was the home side who began to apply the pressure, but Kirkcaldy were a constant threat on the break and never looked out of the game despite not seeing much of the ball.
There was another moment of magic from Snaddon to keep the teams level, as he tipped Kirtons’ header onto the bar with a magnificent finger-tip save. The joy was short lived though, as Kirton then delivered the resulting corner and Watt rose highest inside the penalty area to send a looping header over the goalkeeper and into the far corner to restore the lead for the home side.
Aberdour continued to try and put the game to bed, with Hill causing all sorts of problems for the Kirkcaldy defence when he broke free on the right and cut back to a teammate on the edge of the area, the shot however was well blocked. The resulting corner almost brought a wonder goal from Callum Ramsay when he met a headed clearance full on the volley, but the ball wouldn’t dip quickly enough and landed well behind the goal.
As the game entered its final stages, Watt was to be denied a hat-trick; not once, but twice by some resolute defending from Kirkcaldy’s’ Marc Cameron. The first chance came from a corner that fell to Watt just inside the area, his placed effort beat the goalkeeper but was headed off the line by a well-placed Cameron.
McNeish then spurned a wonderful opportunity to put the game to bed in the dying moments, he showed great feet to work himself into space in the box, but his right footed shot crashed into the side netting.
Kirkcaldy were now pouring forward at every opportunity, and were almost made to pay in a moment of drama right at the death. With all ten outfield players in the opposing half, a mis-hit free kick fell straight to Watt, who raced free of the last man and took the ball round a helpless Snaddon, only for Cameron to appear at the last minute and divert a certain goal off the line to deny Watt his hat-trick for the second time. There was no time for the corner as the referee brought a pulsating game to an end.
The result means Kirkcaldy now drop to fourth, while sixth placed Aberdour will look at their games in hand as a chance to make up further ground on the teams above them in the coming weeks. 
  • Full Time:
  • Aberdour
  • 2-1
  • Kirkcaldy YM


Kirkcaldy YM
13. Quinn Franklin
2. Rhys Ovenstone
3. Conor Napier
4. Kieran James Barton
6. Jay Buglass
7. Greg Hill
8. Josh McPhie
9. Daniel Watt
10. Matthew Christie
11. Kieran Perkins
16. Jamie McNeish
17. Dylan McCulloch
18. Connor Kirton
19. Callum Ramsay
20. Zak Cruickshank
21. Lee Jamieson
1. Sean Snaddon
2. Marc Cameron
3. Craig Payne
4. Scott Warrender
5. Shane Dempster
6. Calum Ballingall
8. Sean McCallum
9. Ryan Beaton
10. Kyle Hendry
11. Craig Lowrie
12. James Mackie
14. Ryan Kelly
15. Liam Macduff
16. Callum Beaton
19. Kieran Barclay
20. Kyle O’Donnell
Star Player
Kirkcaldy YM
Daniel Watt - Took his two goals really well and was only denied a hat-trick by some great defending. A good day at the office for the young forward.
Marc Cameron. Produced two fantastic goal line clearences and also looked dangerous when going forward.
Magic Moment
Kirkcaldy YM
Daniel Watt scoops this one as well with his towering header to put his side back in front, just as it looked like Kirkcaldy were in the ascendency.
Sean Snaddon's magnificent finger tip save to divert Kirton's header onto the bar, powerless to stop the winning goal when it came but played his part in keeping the scores level.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments