Home My YFS

Dundonald Bluebell see off Aberdour in feisty League Cup final

Dundonald Bluebell 2

Coleman 23, Rolland 63

Aberdour SDC 1

Cruikshank 56
  • Sunday, 19 April 2015
  • Humbug Park
  • Under 19´s
  • AFYFC League Cup

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Dundonald Bluebell remain on course for a clean sweep of domestic trophies as they overcame a stern test from a talented Aberdour side at Humbug Park.
Goals in each half from Max Coleman and Liam Rolland either side of a Zak Cruikshank equaliser won the game for the league leaders.
The match pitted two of the region’s best sides against each other, and there was plenty of respect shown by both sets of players during a tense opening.
The first real chance was created by Aberdour when Greg Hill cut the ball back across the face of goal, but Terry Ormiston failed to convert and the scores stayed level.
Connor Kirton was then on hand for Aberdour to turn away a dangerous looking ball into the box, before Nathan Feeley almost latched onto a through ball for Dundonald, but Quinn Franklin in the Aberdour goal was out quickly and bravely to smother the danger at the feet of the attacker.
The Dundonald pressure was beginning to mount however, and it was not long before they were rewarded with the game’s opening goal.  Raymond Crichton swung in a good delivery from a corner and, when the ball was only half headed clear, Coleman smashed a volley through the crowded penalty area into the back of the net.
Despite falling behind, the goal signalled a better spell for Aberdour who quickly got to work hunting for an equaliser, but found their opponents in no mood to give it to them.
After a sustained period of pressure the ball fell to Hill in the Dundonald penalty area, but he struggled to find room for a shot, and when he eventually managed to do so the ball went harmlessly wide of the post.
Feeley and Crichton were combining well for Dundonald, and the former had a sight of goal when he cut in from the right to unleash a left footed shot that whistled past the post.
Dundonald goalkeeper Darryl Gear then had to be alert when a Daniel Watt cross looked to be creeping under the bar, and having made the save the Bluebell stopper then dived at the feet of Hill who was following up on the rebound.
Feeley then had a terrific chance to double his side's lead, when he raced clear of the last defender to latch onto a long ball over the Aberdour defence, but having brought the ball under control he slid his left footed shot wide of both Franklin and the post.
Dundonald were stepping up the chase for a second, and a wonderful piece of vision allowed Crichton to pick out Lewis Scarlett with an inch perfect pass, but after controlling the ball his shot was well saved by Franklin.
That chance was soon followed by another, as Feeley and Crichton combined again down the left for Dundonald in a flowing move, but when the latter pulled the ball back Feeley saw his shot blocked by some last ditch defending, meaning Dundonald held the slenderest of leads at the break.
  • Half Time:
  • Dundonald Bluebell
  • 1-0
  • Aberdour SDC

The start of the second half saw Aberdour come flying out of the traps, and there were several chances in quick succession for a side who now clearly had the bit between their teeth.

First, Watt was played through by a clever pass from midfield, but after showing good strength to hold off a defender he could only steer his shot over the bar.

When a Kirton free kick was headed clear, the resulting corner caused pandemonium in the Dundonald penalty area, but still no player for Aberdour was able to find room to finish, as both Watt and Hill saw their efforts blocked, before Neil Wallace eventually hoofed the ball to safety.

The pressure did eventually pay off however, when Cruikshank snuck in at the back post to stab home a deep cross and finally get Aberdour back on level terms.

The parity did not last for long though, as Dundonald regained the lead amid strong protests from Aberdour. A cross into the box appeared to have been collected by Franklin, but when the ball broke free Rolland was on hand to fire home. Despite Aberdour’s calls for a foul on their goalkeeper Franklin, the goal was awarded and Aberdour found themselves again chasing the game.

It was a timely boost for Dundonald who up until that point were having to withstand wave after wave of Aberdour pressure. But, with renewed energy, the league leaders began to get back into the game.

Rolland had a chance to score again, following up on a punch clear from Franklin following a free kick into the box, and after a low corner found its way to Hutton on the edge of the area, he could only fire his shot high over the cross bar.

Crichton continued to cause problems for Aberdour on the left, but after a mazy run he could not produce a cross and the chance was gone.

Hutton then had the chance to put the game to bed, when following Feeley’s flick-on he had the goal at his mercy but could only divert the ball over the bar from point-blank range.

The midfield battle was fierce, and challenges were coming in from all angles with no time on the ball being given to anyone. Despite the physical nature of the game Aberdour continued to press for an equaliser, but this was not to be their day as Dundonald remained solid at the back and looked dangerous on the counter.

A quick break ended with Rolland beating two players on his way into the penalty area, but Franklin saved to give his side one last chance to attack.

Aberdour poured players forward in desperate search of a goal to take the game to extra time, but Dundonald were in no mood to be beaten, and as Callum Ramsay saw his shot blocked on route to goal, the referee brought the match to an end and sparked wild celebrations amongst the Dundonald players, fans and staff.

The win adds the League Cup to the Pre Season Cup already in the bag for Dundonald, and with an eleven-point lead in the league and hope of another cup win still to come, there are the quiet murmurings of an unprecedented quadruple among the ranks.

Meanwhile Aberdour, valiant in defeat but lacking a cutting edge to cut through a solid Dundonald back line, will return to league action with all attention now focussed on chasing down their opponents from today.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;
  • Full Time:
  • Dundonald Bluebell
  • 2-1
  • Aberdour SDC


Dundonald Bluebell
Aberdour SDC
1. Darryl Gear
2.Jamie Leitch
3. Lewis To
5. Scott Warrender
6. Connor Findlay
7. Max Coleman
8. Liam Rolland
9. Nathan Feeley
10. Raymond Crichton
11. John Rodigan
13. Gregor Carstairs
15. Neil Wallace
16. David Mitchell
17. Lewis Scarlett
18. Lewis Hutton
33. Shaun Barrnet
13. Quinn Franklin
2. Rhys Ovenstone
3. Lee Jamieson
4. Kieran James Barton
5. Zak Cruikshank
6. Jay Buglass
7. Greg Hill
8. Josh McPhie
9. Daniel Watt
10. Matthew Christie
14. Conor Napier
15. Terry Ormiston
16. Jamie McNeish
17. Blair Cook
18. Connor Kirton
19. Callum Ramsay
Star Player
Dundonald Bluebell
Aberdour SDC
Raymond Crichton was a constant danger for Dundonald. His pace and vision were top drawer all game.
Zak Cruikshank was influential throughout the game at the back, and also did the damage at the sharp end with his side's goal.
Magic Moment
Dundonald Bluebell
Aberdour SDC
A fluid move involving Raymond Crichton and Nathan Feeley. It terrific to watch and they were only denied a goal by some brave defending.
In a game as tight as this one, chances are hard to come by so Aberdour's magic moment has to be the goal. It was just reward for a positive attitude and a great start to the second half.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments