Home My YFS

Lochgelly strike late to topple Thistle

Lochgelly Albert Colts 3

Robertson 6' Reid 42'

Scone Thistle 2

Clemison 22' Nardone 54' Mathieson 78'
  • Saturday, 19 September 2015
  • Launcherhead Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Fife FDL

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Lochgelly left it late to score the winner as they twice came from behind to win 3-2 in an enthralling game at Launcherhead Park.

First half goals from Daniel Robertson and Daniel Clemison had the side’s level at half time, and the game looked to be heading towards a draw after Ben Nardone cancelled out Ethan Reid’s second-half penalty. But the game was won in the final minutes when Jack Mathieson headed home from a corner.

It was a close game between two evenly matched sides, but it was Lochgelly who carved out the first chance in the opening few seconds, as Clemison flashed a low ball across the face of goal, but none of his teammates took a gamble and the chance was missed.

Scone were making chances of their own though, and some nice play between James Rattray and Reid finished with the latter seeing his shot on goal saved by Logan Clunie in the Lochgelly goal.

It was not long before the first goal of the game arrived, as Robertson stepped up to send a dipping free kick over Clunie and straight into the back of the net.

Lochgelly responded well to the going behind, and Clemison was again the one leading the charge as he fired in a left footed shot from the edge of the area, but it was straight at Cameron Sinclair in the Thistle goal and the ‘keeper was able to save easily.

The equaliser wasn’t long in coming however, as Clemison latched onto a ball over the top of the defence, held off the challenge of the defender and showed good composure to round the ‘keeper and slot the ball home.

The game was developing into an entertaining affair with both sides looking to keep the ball on the ground and play possession football.

Scone went close with two good chances midway through the first half, first Javier Perez Cuevas sliced an effort wide when shooting from a good position on the edge of the area. Then, Reid and Robertson linked well to create space, but there was no one in the box to take advantage of the cross.

It was the home side who would finish the first half the stronger of the two teams as they created a flurry of opportunities before the break, with Jake McNeil at the centre of most of the action.

First, he was unable to control the ball in the box after Mathieson found him with a good delivery from the left. Then, having spotted a gap in the Scone defence he tried to burst through on goal, but was let down by a heavy touch and Sinclair was able to rush out and claim the ball.

Then, after finding some space on the edge of the area McNeil tried his luck with a well hit volley, but despite being on target Sinclair was again able to save and hold onto the ball.

As the first half drew to a close it was Lochgelly that continued to create all the chances, and Nardone was unlucky not to sneak his team in front when he rose highest at a corner, but his header was over the bar.

McNeil was at it again moments later, as he rode two tackles to make room for a shot, but could only drag his effort wide.

In the final action of the half Mathieson turned his man on the edge of the area, but his left foot shot was wide.

  • Half Time:
  • Lochgelly Albert Colts
  • 1-1
  • Scone Thistle

The second half began in much the same fashion as the first, with Scone handed an early opportunity to regain the lead.

After a foul inside the area, Reid stepped up to tuck away the spot kick and put his team back in front.

Despite the early set back, Lochgelly soon found their rhythm again, but despite dominating the ball for long spells of the second half they were up against a Thistle side that was well organised and difficult to break down.

McNeil was the first to try his luck with a right footed shot that was comfortable for Sinclair. Then, as a free kick was swung in towards Ferguson the forward looked certain to score, but the ball was just out of reach as Lochgelly continued to knock at the door.

It was a similar story moments later when McNeil tried to play a ball towards Ferguson again, but he was crowded out and unable to connect with the pass.

It was looking more likely that set pieces may be decisive in the game, and Nardone had a pop from a free kick just outside the area, but the wall did its job and deflected the effort away for a corner which came to nothing.

The equalising goal was just around the corner though. Nardone again connected with a corner, but this time got the shot on target and out of the reach of Sinclair to level the scores.

Lochgelly now had their tails up, and pushed forward in search of a winner. McNeil thought he had done exactly that when his shot crashed off the underside of the bar and bounced perilously close to the line, but no goal was awarded and the sides remained level.

Connor McArthur was next to try and provide the magic touch, but his shot was saved again by Sinclair as Scone held on.

There was a rare foray forward for the visitors as the game approached full time, when a ball over the top released Reid who had the perfect opportunity to win the match, but he was denied by an excellent piece of goalkeeping from Clunie.

From the resulting corner, Lochgelly were able to clear the danger and break with pace down the right wing, but the ball was sent in just out of the reach of Ferguson.

Buoyed by their earlier chance, Scone were soon attacking the Lochgelly goal again, this time through a Bobby Patterson effort, but Clunie was able to save.

The magic moment Lochgelly had been searching for finally arrived as the game headed for extra time, and again it was a set piece that did the damage for Thistle as Mathieson rose to send his header crashing into the far corner to the despair of the Scone players.

Despite finding the energy for one last assault on the Lochgelly goal, Scone were unable to find a way through, and after an entertaining match it was Lochgelly who were able to celebrate a memorable win at the final whistle.  

  • Full Time:
  • Lochgelly Albert Colts
  • 3-2
  • Scone Thistle


Lochgelly Albert Colts
Scone Thistle
1. Logan Clunnie
2. Connor McArthur
3. Troy Stein
4. Rhuiri Garvey
5. Andrew Penman
6. Ben Nardone
7. Jack Mathieson
8. Dean Armstrong
9. Jamie Cockburn
10. Rhys Ferguson
11. Daniel Clemison
12. Ryan Bennett
14. Jake McNeill
15. Reiss King
16. Bailey Marshall
1. Cameron Sinclair
3. Euan Brand
5. Conall Taylor
6. Bobby Paterson
7. James Rattray
9. Ethan Reid
10. Daniel Robertson
11. Cameron Martin
12. Ben Hawkins
14. Stewart Ramsay
15. Louis Flynn
16. Javier Perez Cuevas
17. Lewis Paterson
Star Player
Lochgelly Albert Colts
Scone Thistle
Jake McNeill - Lively throughout and always looked dangerous when he was onthe ball.
Daniel Robertson - A stunning free kick to open the scoring his personal highlight!
Magic Moment
Lochgelly Albert Colts
Scone Thistle
The third goal from Jack Mathieson to win the match for his side, rising high above the defence he smashed his header into the far corner.
Robertson's opening goal was a well hit free kick that got Thistle off to the perfect start!
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments