Home My YFS

Dundee progress in the Little Big Shot Youth Cup following commanding display against Hibernian

Dundee FC 4

Priest 32' Clark 41' Curran 42' Gemmell 54'

Hibernian FC 1

Shaw 69'
  • Sunday, 18 October 2015
  • Dens Park
  • Under 20´s
  • Little Big Shot Youth Cup

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Dundee advanced into round four of the Little Big Shot Youth Cup after knocking out Hibernian, last year’s semi finalists, courtesy of a 4-1 win at Dens Park. The home side enjoyed a 3-0 lead at half time, following goals from Ben Priest, Kyle Clark and Jesse Curran, before adding a fourth through Ryan Gemmell soon after the restart. Hibernian’s Olly Shaw grabbed a conciliation goal 20 minutes from time but the away side couldn’t muster any further goals to generate a comeback.
The opening stages of the cup tie had a rather pensive feel to it as both teams felt their way into the game, knocking the ball about to compliment their intentions to play out from the back. 
After a couple of half chances the first clear cut opportunity fell the way of Dundee’s Sam Dryden 25 minutes in. The full back opted to go on an attacking adventure and drove into the penalty area after beating his man. He struck a low powerful shot at goal but the ball was well held by Hibs’ ‘keeper Sean Brennan.
The home side then began to increase the pressure slightly. In the 32nd minute they were rewarded with the first goal of the game. Hibernian failed to clear adequately from a corner kick as the ball fell to the feet of Josh Skelly out wide. The striker then delivered a pinpoint cross that was superbly headed in by Priest to hand Dundee the initial advantage.
After taking the lead Dundee didn’t rest on their laurels as they launched attack after attack on the Hibs defence. After a couple of close chances, and a fine save from Brennan to tip a header over the bar, Dundee were gifted a perfect opportunity as they were awarded a penalty. Josh Skelly stepped up to take the spot kick but Brennan saved his strike superbly. The number nine sprinted to get to the rebound but, once again, Brennan made another super save to deny him. The goalkeeper’s luck ran out, however, as the first player to reach the second rebound was Clark. At the third time of asking the ball was finally converted to give Dundee a 2-0 lead.
Just a minute later the score line read 3-0. In what was an exquisite solo effort Curran dribbled his way straight through the middle of the park and into the box before finishing off the move by slotting the ball into the bottom corner. A lovely move that saw the home side go into the half time break deservedly 3-0 up. 
  • Half Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 3-0
  • Hibernian FC
Hibernian came out for the second half with a renewed sense of determination. With a large deficit to make up they looked to attack from the start but Dundee’s defence was looking solid and keeping them at bay. Connor Duthie came close in the 53rd minute when is shot from distance flew wide of the post.
After this miss Dundee went straight down the other end and added to their lead. Skelly popped up on the right side again and fired the ball in towards the six yard box. After a bit of a scramble the ball was turned in by Gemmell. Dundee were well and truly in control of this game.
Hibernian refused to throw in the towel, much to their credit, and in the 69th minute they managed to breech the strong Dundee defence and grab a goal back. Jack Breen gained control of the ball, burst through the defence before laying the ball to Shaw who converted just a few yards out of goal.
With just a few half chances emerging in what remained of the game the final whistle soon arrived with Dundee not being troubled too much. Hibernian will understandably be disappointed with the result but will look to pick themselves up for their next outing. Dundee can now look forward to the next round with plenty of confidence. Their performance, particularly in the first half, was brilliant and if they keep that level up they could really achieve something in the cup this year. 
  • Full Time:
  • Dundee FC
  • 4-1
  • Hibernian FC


Dundee FC
Hibernian FC
1. Kyle Gourlay
2. Sam Dryden
4. Kerr Waddell
5. Ben Priest
6. Calvin Colquhoun
7. John Black
8. Jesse Curran
9. Josh Skelly
10. Kyle Clark
11. Ryan Gemmell
12. David Beattie
14. Liam Gibb
15. Greg Warwick
16. Taylor Berry
17. Sean Gallacher
18. Ryan Shaw
1. Sean Brennan
2. Aaron Dunsmore
3. Ben Stirling
4. Kevin Waugh
5. Ryan Porteous
6. Aaron Scott
7. Ally Smith
8. Scott Martin
9. Olly Shaw
10. Connor Duthie
11. Adam Watson
12. Jack Breen
14. Fraser Murray
15. Calum Donaldson
31. Scott Costello
Star Player
Dundee FC
Hibernian FC
Ben Priest – Imperious at the back and vocal throughout the game. Superb organising and also grabbed the opening goal. A great display.
Olly Shaw – Continued to work hard up top and scored his side’s goal. Was the away side’s biggest threat.
Magic Moment
Dundee FC
Hibernian FC
Jesse Curran’s goal – simply superb individual effort. The pick of Dundee’s four goals and typified the midfielder’s performance in the game too.
Sean Brennan’s penalty saves – The first save was great but the second save was unreal. A shame that the ball found its way into the back of the net regardless of his efforts, from his point of view.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments