Print this page

Penalty kings Pitfour win Diamond Jubilee Cup

Arbroath Lads Club 1

Kwiatek 64'

Pitfour FC 1

Finnie 36'
  • Pitfour win 4-3 on penalties

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Forget the Dundee derby. Those at Dundee’s North End Park got to witness a Sunday afternoon game that was full of twists, turns and a dramatic penalty shootout to round things off. The game in question was the Diamond Jubilee Cup final, which was played out between Arbroath Lads and Pitfour, which finished 1-1 and culminated in a dramatic penalty shoot-out win for Pitfour.
It was evident from the very beginning that the final was going to be close as the teams are two very well matched outfits. However, it was Pitfour that made the breakthrough as they went one up, courtesy of Kai Finnie, in the first minute of the second half. It looked as though one goal might be all that was needed until Bartosz Kwiatek leveled the scores six minutes from time with a superbly executed overhead kick. The full time whistle soon arrived and a penalty shootout was needed to decide who would be taking the cup home. In the end Pitfour managed to triumph 4-3 on penalties and they were crowned Diamond Jubilee Cup champions. 
The first half was a titanic tussle between the two sides which exemplified just how well matched the final was. Jack Bledowski had an early chance to open the scoring for Arbroath but he sent his effort over the bar after latching onto a right wing cross.
The next clear opportunity fell to Arbroath in the 20th minute. Connor McFarlane drove towards goal, from the right, and fired a low shot at goal. Pitfour ‘keeper, Archie Barton, was on hand to make the save with his legs. Leo Boath, however, pounced onto the rebound and hit a first time shot back at goal. Once again Barton was there to keep the score at 0-0 as he dived down low to his left and held the rebounded shot. Excellent goalkeeping.
In the 25th minute Pitfour very nearly worked an opportunity for themselves. Finnie attempted to latch onto a through ball that was fed beyond the Arbroath defence. The pacy forward was soon involved in a footrace against Arbroath’s man between the sticks Shaun Watt. It was the goalkeeper who reached and cleared the ball just ahead of the pacy forward but he took a wallop as a result – the perfect example of taking one for the team.  
The second half began with a bang as the first chance brought about the first goal. Finnie utilized his pace again as he latched onto a through ball and bulleted his strike straight into the bottom left hand corner of the net, leaving Watt with no chance.
With Pitfour a goal to the good Arbroath upped their game in search of an equaliser. Kwiatek came close to leveling later on, but Barton made the necessary save once again. Mason Anderson also posed a threat as his header from a wide free kick ricocheted off of Barton and out of play. 
With twelve minutes remaining Pitfour almost doubled their lead after Ethan Thom took possession of the loose ball after Ben Roberts’ shot ricocheted off an Arbroath defender. He struck the ball at goal, but Watt expertly parried the shot away to keep his side in the game.
In the 64th minute of the game, just six minutes from full time, Arbroath got their equaliser in spectacular fashion. Boath challenged for a high ball that had been sent back into the Pitfour penalty area and his efforts resulted in the ball falling just behind Kwiatek. The diminutive front man was not fased, however, as he executed a magnificent overhead kick, which looped over the oncoming goalkeeper and nestled in the back of the net.
Both teams did their best to seal victory before a penalty shootout was needed, but there just was not enough time available to carve out a clear chance. It was time for kicks from the spot.
Arbroath had made a late goalkeeping change, putting Nairn Beaton in for Shaun Watt so it would be the former outfield player facing the shots from Pitfour.

The first man to step up to the penalty spot was Arbroath captain Josh Paterson. In keeping with his fine midfield performance on the pitch he struck the ball expertly into the bottom corner to put his team 1-0 up in the shootout.

Kairn Brand then stepped up to reply for Pitfour. He did so clinically as he side footed the ball calmly into the left of the goal. It was back on level terms.

It was now the turn of Arbroath’s Lewis Hutton. The number 11 thundered his strike into the top right hand corner leaving Barton with no chance.

It was now Andrew Allan stepping up for Pitfour but the young man’s side footed effort was well saved by Beaton’s feet. At the end of the second set of penalties it was Arbroath who held the 2-1 advantage.

Boath then stepped up for Arbroath but, unfortunately for him, fired his penalty over the crossbar. Pitfour had a chance to get back into it.

Rory Harrower was the man who stepped up looking to bring the boys in yellow level. In a similar fashion to Boath he struck his penalty too high and it flew just over the crossbar.

Beaton then turned from shot stopper to shot taker for Arbroath as he stepped up to take his team’s fourth spot kick. Once again, however, the penalty kick flew over the target and the score remained 2-1.

Charlie Edward was the man to take Pitfour’s fourth. Opting for a different approach he struck the ball low and hard into the bottom left hand corner to bring the scores level at 2-2.

It was then McFarlane’s turn to take the crucial fifth penalty for Arbroath. He made no mistake as he fired the ball low into the right of the net to make it 3-2. Pitfour knew if they missed the next one that would be the game done and dusted.

The man to face the pressure was Finnie still brimming with confidence from his earlier display and goal. He kept his composure superbly and slammed the ball home to the goalkeeper’s right. It was time for sudden death.

Arbroath’s Anderson stepped forward to take their sixth kick. However, the number nine’s effort was put just wide of the post. Pitfour had their opportunity, if they scored they would be champions.

Up stepped Oliver Farquharson to take the decisive kick. He wasted no time and skillfully placed his strike towards the bottom left to score. As the ball hit the back of the net it was confirmed – Pitfour were crowned Diamond Jubilee Cup champions.

Final Result: Pitfour win 4-3 on penalties


Arbroath Lads Club
Pitfour FC
1. Shaun Watt
2. Nairn Beaton
3. Aiden Hutton
4. John Gallazzi
5. Kai Cooper
6. Nairn MacDonald
7. Connor McFarlane
8. Josh Paterson
9. Mason Anderson
10. Leo Boath
11. Lewis Hutton
12. Aiden Smith
14. Jack Bledowski
15. Kyle Mcgonagle
16. Bartosz Kwiatek
17. Jarvis Chalmers
1. Archie Barton
2. Rory Harrower
4. Benjamin Clos
5. Kairn Brand
6. Charlie Edward
7. Ben Roberts
8. Andrew Allan
9. Ethan Thom
10. Oliver Farquharson
11. Matthew Glen
14. James McRae
15. Kai Finnie
16. Jacob Edwards
17. Rory Cromwell
Star Player
Arbroath Lads Club
Pitfour FC
Bartosz Kwiatek – Relentless runner and a goal to be proud of. An excellent day for the young striker and would have been disappointed to end up on the losing side.
Kai Finnie – Pacy and, if you’re an Arbroath defender, a real troublemaker. Worked his socks off in the game and topped it off with a great goal.
Magic Moment
Arbroath Lads Club
Pitfour FC
Kwiatek’s equaliser - Easiest decision ever. It’s not every day you see a player successfully score from an overhead kick. Most end up missing and looking foolish. Well done that man.
Barton’s double save in the 20th – big saves at big moments help win you games, especially in cup finals. This was a big double save that kept the score at 0-0 and was also a display of some top class net minding.

Latest from Alasdair Hooper

Related items

Login to post comments