Home My YFS

Fairmuir leave it late against Broughty United

Fairmuir BC 5

Guild 29', Rice 67', G. Stewart 72', 87', Hart 82'

Broughty United 2

Ahmed 5', Blackwood 54'
  • Fairmuir BC 5-2 Broughty United (AET)
  • Sunday, 25 September 2016
  • Graham Street
  • Under 14´s
  • Scottish Cup - R2

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Fairmuir made their way into the third round of the Scottish Cup after a thrilling 5-2 victory against Broughty United. Despite playing in the division below their hosts, Broughty lead twice in the match, but Fairmuir fought back and forced the match into extra time. In extra time, the hosts found the net three times, securing their place in the next round.
After a back and forth opening, the first goal of the game went the way of Broughty. With five minutes played, Doug Blackwood lifted the ball into the path of Haaris Ahmed who raced through on goal, and slotted the ball past the oncoming Adam Cameron.
The goal seemed to spark Fairmuir into life and the hosts should have been level after nine minutes. Graeme Stewart got in behind the Broughty backline, but the striker failed to hit the target from close range. The striker got on the end of a clever pass from Kai Guild moments later, but Broughty keeper Ross Baxley did well to block the shot.
Broughty would have doubled their lead after 17 minutes through Arran Ferry, but Cameron did well to tip away the strikers well hit effort. The hosts almost got their equaliser after 24 minutes. Liam Hunt’s free kick evaded everybody inside the crowded penalty area, before clipping the outside of the post and going out for a goal kick.
With 29 minutes gone, Fairmuir were level. Dean Cormack’s in-swinging corner was met by Guild, who headed the ball past Baxley from close range.
Neither side created a clear cut chance in the time remaining before the break. Fairmuir had seen more of the ball, but failed to find the killer pass on multiple occasions. Broughty on the other hand, looked dangerous on the break.   
  • Half Time:
  • Fairmuir BC
  • 1-1
  • Broughty United
The hosts continued to apply pressure to the Broughty goal and ten minutes after the restart, should have been ahead. Substitute Ruari Henry sent Graeme Stewart through on goal, but the striker opted to shoot himself rather than square the ball to Zain Ferguson, who would have had a tap-in. Ahmed almost put Broughty ahead, but his effort was just off target.
With 16 minutes remaining, Broughty took the lead. Blackwood picked the ball up at the top of the box before drilling a low shot past Cameron in the Fairmuir goal. Fairmuir's failure to capitalise on their chances had come back to haunt them.
The Broughty backline was standing strong, dealing with everything that Fairmuir were throwing at them. With five minutes left, Blackwood made space on the top of the Fairmuir box, but his effort was just off target.
With three minutes left, Fairmuir were level for a second time. Kai Flynn played the ball through for Dylan Rice, who raced away from the Broughty defenders and fired the ball across Baxley, into the bottom corner of the net. Neither side could find a winner in the time remaining, and the game entered extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Fairmuir BC
  • 2-2
  • Broughty United
Fairmuir took the lead for the first time in the match two minutes into extra time. Rice’s corner looked to have been dealt with, but the ball broke through to Graeme Stewart who rifled the ball past Baxley into the net.

Broughty, who had put so much into the match, were struggling to win the ball back from Fairmuir, who had found an extra gear after their third goal.

With eight minutes remaining, Fairmuir all but confirmed their place in the third round. Graeme Stewart played an excellent pass into the path of Daniel Hart, who showed excellent composure to stroke the ball into the bottom corner. There was still enough time for Fairmuir to add a fifth. Graeme Stewart sliding onto the end of a low cross from Rice, confirming Fairmuir’s place in the third round, and consigning Broughty United to their first defeat of the season.

Despite being in the division below Fairmuir, Broughty United more than matched their hosts today, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if these two teams are both in the top tier next season. Fairmuir will know that they can play at a better standard than they showed today, but will now turn their attentions to the third round.

Final Result: Fairmuir BC 5-2 Broughty United (AET)


Fairmuir BC
Broughty United
1. Adam Cameron
2. Kai Flynn
3. Liam Hunt
4. Jack Stirton
5. Derryn Thomson
6. Zain Ferguson
7. Dylan Rice
8. Dean Cormack
9. Ruari Henry
10. Aidan McCann
11. Nathan Stewart
12. Daniel Hart
14. Kai Guild
15. Paddy Boyle
15. Jack Wilkie
16. Graeme Stewart
1. Ross Baxley
2. Ross Wamless
4. Doug Blackwood
6. Robert Glass
7. Haaris Ahmed
9. Arran Ferry
10. Christopher Locherty
11. Gregor Lee
12. Finlay Kenyon
18. Matthew Younger
21. Blair Gauld
35. Connor Bain
Star Player
Fairmuir BC
Broughty United
Kai Guild - The Fairmuir man caused Broughty problems at both ends of the pitch. In the first half he linked up well with Graeme Stewart and grabbed himself a good goal. In the second half he organised the defence and nullified Broughty's attacking threat.
Doug Blackwood - A goal and an assist from the Broughty centre midfielder who bossed the midfield in the first half. Did well defensively in the second half and was unlucky to be on the losing side.
Magic Moment
Fairmuir BC
Broughty United
Graeme Stewart's First Goal - A composed strike that gave his side the lead late in the match. Fairmuir didn't look back after this goal went in.
Ahmed's Goal - An excellent finish that got his side off to the perfect start.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments