Print this page

DDYFA Results Round-Up 25/02/18

Written by 

With title races hotting up and the final league tables starting to take shape, there was no shortage of big wins and big upsets throughout the age groups.
Here’s how the action went down:



Pitfour avenged their cup defeat to Ferry Athletic by beating them 2-1. This result, and Fairmuir’s 2-2 with Broughty that saw Harrison Smith score twice allowed Riverside to extend their lead at the top of the Café Royale League table with a 4-1 win over Maryfield.

At the other end of the table, Montrose leapfrogged Carnoustie with a 3-0 win.

It was a good weekend for the two bottom sides in the J Clenaghan League, as Arbroath drew 2-2 with Forfar and Brechin held Newtyle to a 1-1 draw. St Andrews Colts beat Broughty Panthers 4-2.

Dundee SC are up to second in the P Gibson League after a big win over Monifieth. Keir Miller, Logan Brough, Mark Small and Andrew Gollan were all on target twice, while Robbie Harvey, Cory Miller and Dan Martin also netted.

Celtic Boys continued their pursuit of the title with a 2-0 win over Dundee West Royals. Mearns beat ACSC 9-4 and Dundee Thistle picked up a 7-2 win over Kirrie.



This week’s first featured match saw Broughty United host Kirrie Thistle in the semi-final of the Reilly Falconer Cup. A double from Archie McLean, Logan Richardson’s strike, an own goal from Gregor Brown and a brace from Sam Ellis gave Kirrie a 6-0 half time lead, and despite Broughty striking back in the second half, they held on to secure the win.

Broughty ended Kirrie’s unbeaten run in the league with a 3-1 win in seven days ago, and it was clear that Kirrie were keen to avoid another defeat. There were only three minutes on the clock when Logan Richardson cut the ball back to Archie McLean, who despite seeing his initial effort kept out by Ben Todd, prodded the ball into the corner.

Kirrie were relentless in their pursuit for a second, and when Todd under-hit a goal kick, Richardson capitalised and fired a shot into the net from 25 yards on the 10-minute mark.

With 23 minutes gone, Kirrie added a third from the penalty spot. McLean coolly dispatched the ball past Todd.

Three minutes later, their lead was four. Dagan Bell sent in a cross from the right, and Brown sliced the ball into his own net.

Connor Smeaton was denied by Todd before Kirrie made it five. Kettles was denied by Todd, but the ball broke kindly for Sam Ellis, who stabbed the ball past Todd.

With two minutes of the first half left, Kirrie made it six. Bell provided the cross into Ellis, who steered the ball past Todd with a first-time volley.

The hosts did pull one back after 51 minutes through their top goal scorer Leon Winterton. The striker fired a shot past Grewar from 25 yards to reduce the deficit.
Winterton went close to a second moments later when a low shot from 20 yards came back off the post, but they did double their tally when Lewis Grant hit a rising shot past Grewar after 57 minutes.

Todd did well to keep out Richardson’s chipped effort from the edge of the box in the closing minutes but could only watch as he blasted in his second and Kirrie’s seventh moments later.

Kirrie will face off against Celtic Boys, who beat Forfar Boys 5-2 in the other semi-final.

ACSC picked up a crucial three points against Dundee West in the DS Rennie League. Derron Forbes opened the scoring for Dundee West, but ACSC quickly found themselves 4-1 ahead. Late goals from Luca Snee and Aiden Law weren’t enough to stop Dundee West slipping to a defeat.

Thomas Gibb netted twice in Fairmuir’s 5-0 win over Brechin. Mark Ross, Billy Donald and Riley Nelson also scored. Dundee United SC won the battle of the bottom two as they beat Montrose 3-1, The win was DUSC’s first of the season.

St Andrews Colts beat St Murdochs 4-1 in the Watson McInally League. Ryan Keillor got the hosts only goal. Carnoustie beat Vale of Tay 6-1, and Dryburgh won 3-1 against Maryfield.



Pitfour and Monifieth will contest the Tommy Clark Trophy after wins over Broughty Panthers and Fairmuir respectively.

Pitfour got their semi-final off to the perfect start when Kai Finnie netted after five minutes. Jordan Turnbull turned home a loose ball after a shot came back off the crossbar, and Finnie doubled his tally with a close-range finish as Pitfour found themselves 3-0 up after 11 minutes.

Haaris Ahmed scored three minutes after the restart as Broughty looked for a way back into the tie, and after a goal-line clearance from Sam Grimes, Ahmed netted his second.

A late second from Turnbull looked to have put the tie to bed, but Liam Jones converted a late penalty, but it wasn’t enough for Broughty Panthers, and Pitfour held on to claim a 4-3 win.

Monifieth were looking to knock Fairmuir out at the semi-final stage of a cup competition for the second time this season, and when Paddy Boyle opened the scoring against his former side they looked on course to do that.

Jack Wilkie headed Fairmuir late on, but it wasn’t their day, as Monifieth keeper Thomas Welsh saved two Fairmuir penalties in the shootout as they won 4-3 to advance to the final.

With their title rivals on cup duty, Dundee West took full advantage and picked up a 5-0 win over Montrose. Cavan McLaren netted a brace, while Lewis and Aiden Hutton both scored as did Luke Miller.

Riverside CSC are up to fourth in the league after a 5-3 win over Ferry. Dougray Smith scored a hat trick, and Ben Garrick scored a double.

Carnoustie struck late to earn a 2-2 draw against Celtic Boys. Zac Benmalek gave Celtic the lead just before the break, but Lewis Sivewright levelled the score after the break. Cammy Wilson looked to have won it for Celtic, but Jay Bryce scored in the last minute to ensure a share of the spoils.

Dundee Thistle and Forfar Boys also played out a 2-2 draw and Broughty United beat DUSC 2-0.



Ethan Samson’s goal decided the Queens Jubilee Cup Round Two match between Fairmuir and Monifieth.

Ferry beat Brechin 7-1 in their quarter final match, while Logie Harp beat Blairgowrie on penalties after a 4-4 draw.

Dryburgh Athletic kept up their unbeaten run in the Maryfield League with a big win over St Murdochs, while Forfar Albion drew 2-2 away to Broughty United.

Callum Brand and Jack Terroni both scored twice in Riverside’s 5-0 win over title rivals Lincraig in the W Mills League. Paul Traynor also netted. Kirrie beat Forfar 9-0 in the only other game of the day.



East Craigie Swifts beat Dryburgh 2-0 to seal a spot in the final of the Henry Dolan Cup. Ewan Faulkner and Euan Fallon got the goals. They will take on Kirrie Thistle who beat Monifieth 4-2 in the other semi.

In the Dave Pullar League, Celtic Boys beat Dundee Rangers 7-1, Ferry won 4-2 against Forfar Boys and ACSC played out a 3-3 draw against Fairmuir.

Vincent Edmonds scored twice for Carnoustie in their 5-1 win over Forfar West End in the Bodycare Complimentary Clinics League. Robbie Tait, Matty Strachan and Kieran Bradford were also on target.

Their title rivals Partan Craig won 4-2 over St Andrews Colts, while Brechin beat DUSC 9-2.



This week’s second match saw Ferry Athletic beat Forfar West End in the Presidents League. Rory Faulkner scored his fourth hat trick in four games as Ferry kept up their unbeaten run in the league.

Forfar struck first in the match, and Cameron Fraser was the scorer. Kurtis Turek supplied the cut back, and the big striker swept the ball into the far corner of the net from 18 yards after 14 minutes.

The lead would prove to be short lived, as Andy Kelly turned a corner in from close range less than 60 seconds after Forfar had opened the scoring.

Ferry were taking the game to Forfar with Rory Faulkner causing the visitors backline plenty of problems. The forward fired over after cutting inside from the left, but when he latched onto Blair McCord’s pass after 22 minutes, there was only ever going to be one outcome as he raced towards goal and curled the ball past Kyle Millar.

Forfar’s Rhys Fraser was denied by Stewart Linton before Ferry added their third. Blaine Duncan slipped in Faulkner, and he beat Millar with a low shot from a tight angle.

Forfar continued to look for a way back into the match, and when Morgan Evans hit the deck on the edge of the box after 79 minutes, they had their chance. Alistar Wilson took the free kick and fired it past Linton.

Substitute Josh Richardson brought a save out of Linton with a strike from 18 yards. With so many bodies committed forward, Forfar were always vulnerable on the break, and when Arran Smith freed Faulkner, they were caught cold as he drove into the box before being taken down. McCord made no mistake with the resulting penalty, stroking in into the corner.

Evans set up Fraser Smith inside the box, but his effort was saved by Linton. There was still time for the McCord/Faulkner partnership to undo Forfar one more time. A late free kick on the left was clipped into the box by McCord, and Faulkner, the only Ferry player in the box, stooped in to head past Millar, and complete his fourth hat trick in four matches.

Fairmuir Violet recorded a 3-1 win over Kirrie as they kept up their pursuit of the title. Ross Bell, Gary Ellis and Jaden Murphy got the goals.

Ryan Beedie netted twice as Coupar Angus beat Luncarty 5-2. Cammy McKinley, Callum Cocker-Tough and Ross Campbell were also on target.

Monifieth Tayside beat Brechin 4-1 to claim only their second league win of the campaign.

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Latest from Andrew Creegan

Related items

Login to post comments