Home My YFS

Ferry fight back against Forfar West End to lift G Kerr Cup

Forfar West End 2

Wilson 25', 78'

Ferry Athletic 3

Kelly 45+1', Faulkner 54', Foran 74'
  • Sunday, 25 March 2018
  • North End Park
  • Under 19´s
  • G Kerr Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Ferry Athletic came from behind to lift the G Kerr Cup against Forfar West End. Goals from Andy Kelly, Rory Faulkner and Jay Foran separated a double from Forfar’s Owen Wilson.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the opening stages of the match, but Forfar keeper Kyle Millar had to be at his best to keep out a snap shot from Arran Smith after 10 minutes. The Ferry midfielder looked to have broken the deadlock, but the Forfar goalie produced a fine diving save to keep the score level.

Forfar struck first when Owen Wilson met Rhys Fraser’s in-swinging free kick. The big striker’s header looped over Stewart Linton in the Ferry goal, giving Forfar a deserved lead.

Their good work was nearly undone three minutes later when Alistar Wilson turned a low cross against his own crossbar. The resulting corner saw an unmarked Andy Kelly fire wide from close range.

Forfar didn’t learn their lesson, and in first half injury time, Kelly brought Ferry level. Blair McCord’s corner appeared to have too much on it, but Smith returned the ball into the six-yard box, where Kelly was on hand to turn the ball into the empty net.

  • Half Time:
  • Forfar West End
  • 1-1
  • Ferry Athletic

Ferry came flying out of the traps at the start of the second half but found Millar on hand to deny them on numerous occasions. Jay Foran saw the Forfar keeper keep out his effort, before the stopper produced his best stop of the afternoon to deny Kelly. The Ferry midfielder looped a header towards goal from close range, but Millar managed to tip it away to safety.

The keeper was beaten after 54 minutes by Rory Faulkner. Foran provided the cross and Faulkner guided the ball into the far corner past the diving Millar to give Ferry the lead.

Forfar continued their direct approach, but the Ferry defence stood strong as they tried to hold onto their slim advantage. Foran had a golden opportunity to extend Ferry’s lead when Fraser Kemp’s strike fell to him six yards from goal, but he shot wide.

Foran made no mistake moments later when he fired home Tom Banyard’s low cross to give Ferry a two-goal lead.

Forfar threw caution to the wind and were rewarded four minutes later when Wilson guided Bryce Murray’s cross past Linton to set up an intriguing finish to the match.

A late Forfar goal cost Ferry 12 months ago in the Peter MacAvoy Cup final, but they managed to keep Forfar at bay in the closing stages and clinch the cup.

  • Full Time:
  • Forfar West End
  • 2-3
  • Ferry Athletic


Forfar West End
Ferry Athletic
1. Kyle Millar
2. Alistair Wilson
3. Rhys Fraser
4. David Pearson
5. Rhys Baer
6. Jay Docherty
7. Kurtis Turek
8. Callum Clark
9. Owen Wilson
10. Morgan Evans
11. Cameron Fraser
12. Bryce Murray
14. Ryan Alexander
16. Owen Woodcock
17. Ryan Proctor
19. Paddy Allardice
1. Stewart Linton
3. Lewis Finnie
4. Blair McCord
5. Innes Middleton
6. Tom Banyard
8. Arran Smith
10. Andy Lyall
11. Rory Faulkner
12. Fraser Kemp
15. Jack Ferrier
16. Blaine Duncan
18. Ross Fordyce
20. Calum Ross
21. Logan Irvine
23. Jay Foran
24. Andy Kelly
Star Player
Forfar West End
Ferry Athletic
Owen Wilson - Scored two fine headers and kept the Ferry defenders occupied all afternoon.
Jay Foran - Missed in the shootout last year, but setting up his side's second and bagging what proved to be the winner will more than make amends for the Ferry forward.
Magic Moment
Forfar West End
Ferry Athletic
Wilson's First Goal - A clever header that gave his side a deserved lead.
Faulkner's Goal - A superb finish that put Ferry ahead at an important stage in the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments