Home My YFS

DDYFA Results Round-Up 25/03/18

Written by 

Football returned to the DDYFA after a month-long hiatus for most teams. The first two cups of the season were won, and there was plenty of East Region Cup matches and league fixtures throughout the age groups.

Here’s how the action went down:



Stuart Heenan scored a hat trick for Fairmuir in their 4-4 draw with Ferry in the Café Royale League. Ryan Mulholland also netted.

The result allowed Riverside to extend their lead at the top of the table with a 3-0 win over Carnoustie. Pitfour won 8-1 against Broughty Pumas.

Dundee United SC need to avoid defeat in their last game of the season to clinch the J Clenaghan League title after beating Newtyle 3-2.

Arbroath Lads recorded their first win of the season with a 3-1 win over Broughty Panthers, while Forfar won 4-1 against Brechin.

In the P Gibson League, Mearns beat Dundee West Royals 6-1, Dundee Thistle won 3-0 away to Monifieth, and Kirrie Thistle played out a 3-3 draw against ACSC.



Kirrie Thistle clinched the Dundee West Anniversary Cup with a thrilling 6-3 win over Dundee West.

Jake Kettles opened the scoring after six minutes with a powerful strike from close range, and Kirrie doubled their lead when Cameron Simpson headed home midway through the first half.

Cammy Blacklock danced into the Kirrie box and smashed in Dundee West’s first goal two minutes after the restart, but Kian Martin wasted no time in restoring Kirrie’s two goal lead.

Blacklock netted his second as Dundee West continued to fight, but Logan Richardson put Kirrie 4-2 up with a fine strike seven minutes from time.

Aiden Law reduced the deficit to 4-3 late on, but injury time goals from Kettles and Zak Innes sealed the silverware for Kirrie.

Ferry Athletic saw off Glenrothes Strollers by four goals to three to advance in the East Region Cup.

Fairmuir hit the goal trail against DUSC in the DS Rennie League. Riley Nelson bagged a hat trick, while there were doubles for Jordan Adam, Kyle Smith, Mark Ross and Jordan Robertson. Igor Zinko and Rhys Ross also netted.

Broughty United picked up three points with a 3-1 win over Montrose. Leon Winterton, Mackenzie Maguire and Sam Terroni all struck in the first half. Celtic Boys beat Forfar Boys 2-0.

Luke Lumsden was on target for Dryburgh as they beat St Murdochs in the only Watson McInally League fixture of the day.



Pitfour were on league duty for the first time since October and maintained their 100% record with a 3-0 win over Montrose. Ben Clos, Ross Cameron and Ethan Thom were all on target.

Four goals in 18 minutes from Aidan Lorente helped Monifieth to a 6-2 win over Forfar. Dylan Ferguson and Cammy Watts completed the scoring in the second half.

Graeme Stewart and Derryn Thomson were on target as Fairmuir beat Riverside 3-0.

Lewis Hutton and Luke Miller got the goals in Dundee West’s 2-0 over Broughty United. Ferry Athletic won 5-1 against Dundee Thistle.



Ben Millar scored four of Dryburgh CC’s six goals as they beat Hearts of Beath in the East Region Cup. Stuart Hoggan and Jay McDonald completed the scoring.

Fairmuir are also in the Last 16 after a 3-2 win over Blairgowrie. Rory Jagusinski netted twice, and Kane Hynes also scored. Ferry beat Jeanfield 2-0 to advance to the next round.

Dryburgh sealed their place in the semi-finals of the Queens Jubilee Cup with a 3-1 win over Dundee Thistle. Jack McKellican, Ryan Corbitt and Ryan Smith got the goals.

Broughty United beat Scone Thistle 5-3 in the Maryfield League. Logie Harp won 4-2 against St Murdochs.



Ryan Napier scored twice as Fairmuir knocked holders Glenrothes Athletic out of the East Region Cup. Jordan Stephenson, Jay Taylor and Cameron Meldrum scored in the 5-4 win.

East Craigie Swifts are also into the Quarter Finals of the East Region Cup after beating ACSC 5-1. Matt McKinnon scored a hat trick, with Ethan Coupar and Calum McCleary also on target.

Kirrie Thistle beat Dundee Rangers 8-0 in the only Dave Pullar League match of the day.

Dundee United beat Dryburgh 1-0 in the Bodycare Complimentary Clinics League. Monifieth kept their title hopes alive with a 4-1 win over Partan Craig, while Brechin beat Forfar West End.



Ferry Athletic came from behind to lift the G Kerr Cup against Forfar West End. Goals from Andy Kelly, Rory Faulkner and Jay Foran separated a double from Forfar’s Owen Wilson.

Forfar keeper Kyle Millar had to be at his best to keep out a snap shot from Arran Smith after 10 minutes. The Ferry midfielder looked to have broken the deadlock, but the Forfar goalie produced a fine diving save to keep the score level.

Owen Wilson gave Forfar the lead when he met Rhys Fraser’s in-swinging free kick. The big striker’s header looped over Stewart Linton in the Ferry goal, giving Forfar a deserved lead.

Andy Kelly should have scored when he was left unmarked at a corner but did level the tie after Smith picked him out in the six-yard box.

Ferry came flying out of the traps at the start of the second half but found Millar on hand to deny them on numerous occasions. Jay Foran saw the Forfar keeper keep out his effort, before the stopper produced his best stop of the afternoon to deny Kelly. The Ferry midfielder looped a header towards goal from close range, but Millar managed to tip it away to safety.

The keeper was beaten after 54 minutes by Rory Faulkner. Foran provided the cross and Faulkner guided the ball into the far corner past the diving Millar to give Ferry the lead.

Forfar continued their direct approach, but the Ferry defence stood strong as they tried to hold onto their slim advantage. Foran had a golden opportunity to extend Ferry’s lead when Fraser Kemp’s strike fell to him six yards from goal, but he shot wide.

Foran made no mistake moments later when he fired home Tom Banyard’s low cross to give Ferry a two-goal lead.

Forfar threw caution to the wind and were rewarded four minutes later when Wilson guided Bryce Murray’s cross past Linton to set up an intriguing finish to the match.

A late Forfar goal cost Ferry 12 months ago in the Peter MacAvoy Cup final, but they managed to keep Forfar at bay in the closing stages and clinch the cup.

There were 4-3 wins for Kirrie Thistle and Luncarty over Coupar Angus and Letham Tangerines respectively in the Presidents League.

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Login to post comments