Home My YFS

St Andrews Colts survive late scare to end 24-year trophy drought

Maryfield United 2

Wallace 64, Urquhart 70+3

St Andrews Colts 3

McDermott 6, Martin 59, Paul 70
  • Sunday, 29 April 2018
  • North End Park
  • Under 14´s
  • Mac Brown Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

St Andrews Colts survived a late scare from Maryfield United to clinch the Mac Brown Cup and end the club's 24-year wait for silverware. Gary McDermott and Harry Martin had the Fife side two to the good, but Joe Wallace pulled one back for Maryfield late on.

Harry Paul put St Andrews 3-1 up but there was enough time remaining for Innes Urquhart to pull back another goal for Maryfield, but it wasn’t enough as Saints clinched the cup.

St Andrews had taken just one point from their two league matches against Maryfield but got off to the perfect start when Gary McDermott opened the scoring after six minutes. Harry Paul delivered a free kick from the right that was misjudged by Maryfield keeper Aiden Stewart, which allowed McDermott to force the ball over the line from close range.

Aiden Stewart made amends for his error at the goal two minutes later when he denied Callum West. Harry Martin released West, but Stewart denied him one-on-one.

Both sides were trying to find their rhythm after a frantic opening to the match, meaning clear-cut chances were at a premium. Evin Stewart dragged a shot wide after a solo run, while at the other end, Paul curled a shot into the arms of Aiden Stewart.

  • Half Time:
  • Maryfield United
  • 0-1
  • St Andrews Colts

Maryfield started the second half brightly, with Ben Laing going close on two occasions. The first saw him denied by Nathan Wilson before he fired a free kick narrowly wide. Evin Stewart was then denied by Wilson as Maryfield searched for an equaliser.

St Andrews should have doubled their lead after 53 minutes. Martin powered his way to the by-line and cut the ball back for Alex North, but the Saints captain could only shoot straight at Aiden Stewart.

While Martin setting up North didn’t bring about a second goal for St Andrews, the two reversed roles to devastating effect. Martin exchanged passes with North before lashing the ball past the diving Aiden Stewart from just inside the box.

Maryfield threw caution to the wind and received a big slice of luck six minutes from time. Joe Wallace’s strike from all of 35 yards should have been simple enough for Wilson, but the ball squirmed through the keeper’s legs and over the line, setting up an intriguing finish to the match.

With the late goal giving them a route back into the final, Maryfield upped the pressure on the St Andrews goal, but the fourth goal of the game went Saints way. Paul who set up the opener with a delivery from the right sent in another cross from the wing that sailed straight into the net.

A late Maryfield corner fell at the feet of Wallace, who saw his stinging strike palmed away by Wilson before Noa Quin cleared the ball off the line.

Wilson was called into action once more moments later to deny Evin Stewart, but was helpless as the ball fell for Innes Urquhart, who calmly found the bottom corner with what proved to be final kick of the game.

This was a tough one to take for Maryfield, who will feel that they matched St Andrews for most of the match. While the result didn’t go their way, they should be proud that they performed on the biggest of stages and contributed to a fine final.

As for St Andrews, this group of players have written themselves into club folklore with their first cup final win for 24 years. While there wasn’t much between the teams, they took their chances when they came, and always looked comfortable holding onto their lead.

Most of this squad were on the wrong end of a cup final last season, and it was clear to see what the victory meant to them. They will look to keep up their promotion push in the last few league games of the season and cap off a very memorable season.

  • Full Time:
  • Maryfield United
  • 2-3
  • St Andrews Colts


Maryfield United
St Andrews Colts
1. Aiden Stewart
2. Ryan Wagener
6. Keegan Jorgensen
7. Ben Laing
8. Saul Kirkwood
9. Jayden Lumsden
10. Cole Dye
11. Evin Stewart
12. Bradley Hume
13. Jack Hutchinson
14. Tony Gowans
16. Callum Kennedy
17. Innes Urquhart
18. Joe Wallace
1. Nathan Wilson
4. Callum West
5. Gary McDermott
7. Liam Baillie
8. Max McDougall
9. Adam Moyes
10. Alex North
11. Harry Martin
12. Luke Connah
14. Noa Quin
15. Harry Paul
17. Angus Nicoll
18. Jamie Weir
19. Andrew Sinclair
20. Charlie Thompson
21. Callum Nicoll
Star Player
Maryfield United
St Andrews Colts
Jayden Lumsden - The Maryfield defender was always in the right place at the right time, winning countless headers and making several important interceptions.
Harry Paul - The midfielder was at the heart of Saints play all game long, picking up an early assist and the late winner.
Magic Moment
Maryfield United
St Andrews Colts
Martin's Goal - Lovely build up play and a thumping finish that opened up the two-goal lead.
Urquhart's Goal - A controlled finish, but it was too little too late for Maryfield.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments