Home My YFS

Rampant Celtic flatten Kirrie in Reilly Falconer Cup final

Dundee Celtic Boys 4

Barclay 24, McHugh 49, Madugu 54, 70+5

Kirrie Thistle 0

  • Sunday, 06 May 2018
  • North End Park
  • Under 14´s
  • Reilly Falconer Cup

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Celtic Boys put on a scintillating display as they downed Kirrie Thistle in the final of the Reilly Falconer Cup. Ben Barclay opened the scoring for the DS Rennie League leaders in the first half, with a header from Jake McHugh doubling their advantage in the second half. Imran Madugu made sure of the win with a late brace.

These sides occupy first and second spot in the DS Rennie League and both came flying out the traps looking to strike first. Campbell Stevenson found Imran Madugu inside the box early on, but the big striker could only strike the ball against the base of the post.

Kirrie scored six times as they lifted the Dundee West Anniversary cup six weeks earlier, and they were nearly gifted the opener after 10 minutes. Celtic keeper Callum Angus kicked the ball into Sam Ellis who with the goal gaping lifted the ball over the bar from 15 yards.

It was a big chance gone begging for the Angus side, who were nearly punished moments later as Jake McHugh’s cross landed at the feet of Stevenson a matter of yards from goal, but he mishit his effort.

With 17 minutes gone, Celtic were presented a golden chance to take the lead as James Downie was taken down inside the box. Madugu stepped up, but his spot kick was kept out by Rory Davidson, who pushed the ball over the bar.

Celtic continued their pressure on the Kirrie goal and saw a corner fall to McHugh seven yards from goal, but he volleyed over.

Eventually, the pressure told, and Celtic broke the deadlock. Madugu found Ben Barclay on the left and he powered his way into the box before slipping the ball past Davidson at the near post.

McHugh went close to adding a second for Celtic six minutes later when he beat Zak Innes to a bouncing ball in the box, but his effort came back off the bar and into the arms of Davidson. Madugu headed a free kick narrowly wide just before half time.

  • Half Time:
  • Dundee Celtic Boys
  • 1-0
  • Kirrie Thistle

Celtic continued their pressure into the second half, but Davidson continued to deny them. The Kirrie stopper pulled of a stunning diving save to keep out a curling effort from Madugu before smothering Stevenson’s rebound.

The resulting corner was met by Dorian Ziozkolski and his header grazed the crossbar before going behind. At the other end, Ellis dragged a shot wide.

Kirrie made a host of changes as they attempted to get back into the game but fell further behind after 49 minutes. Christopher Gorrie delivered a deep cross from the right which guided home by McHugh from close range.

Jake Kettles had the chance to reduce the deficit after a cleverly worked corner, but his effort deflected behind. A long ball into the Kirrie box was met by Madugu and despite the efforts of Davidson, the big striker gave Celtic a three-goal lead.

Things nearly got better for Celtic as Madugu connected with another long ball, but Davidson was quick off his line to deny the striker. This was Davidson’s last goalkeeping heroic as he was replaced by Archie McLean ahead of the final 10 minutes.

Kettles fired another shot over before Madugu rattled the post. In injury time, the ball broke to Barclay, who saw his first-time strike headed behind for a corner. The resulting delivery lead to a goalmouth stramash that ended with Madugu firing home with what proved to be the final kick of the ball.

Having already lifted silverware, this was a disappointing result for Kirrie. The effects of their hectic schedule over the past few weeks were clear to see as they struggled to match Celtic’s tempo for most of the game. They will look at Sam Ellis’s early miss as the turning point of the game, if that had resulted in a goal, then the game may have taken a different turn.

They are still in the hunt for the DS Rennie League title, with games against Forfar and Celtic meaning they have the chance to close the gap on their rivals, but they have to play a lot of matches over the next few weeks to make that happen.

As for Celtic Boys, this was a dominant display from them against a strong Kirrie side. For a long spell in this match they were creating chances, but an inspired goalkeeper denied them on numerous occasions. Despite this, they kept their cool and eventually made the pressure pay.

They are in poll position to take home the DS Rennie League title and have the fewest games to play, although they have two more “cup finals” when they face Kirrie and Forfar in the league. If they can avoid defeat in those matches, then the title will be as good as theirs and they will cap off a very memorable season.

  • Full Time:
  • Dundee Celtic Boys
  • 4-0
  • Kirrie Thistle


Dundee Celtic Boys
Kirrie Thistle
1. Callum Angus
2. Nairn Angus
3. Christopher Gorrie
4. Dorian Ziozkolski
6. James Downie
7. Leon Spowart
8. Connor Carling
9. Will Plenderleath
10. Campbell Stevenson
12. Imran Madugu
15. James McDonald
16. Jake McHugh
17. Ben Barclay
1. Rory Davidson
2. Dagan Bell
3. Connor Smeaton
5. Cammy Simpson
6. Logan Richardson
7. Jake Kettles
8. Kian Martin
9. Archie McLean
10. Robbie Waddell
11. Sam Ellis
12. Keir Crighton
14. Sam Murray
17. Zak Innes
18. Thomas Duffy
19. Bradley Milne
Star Player
Dundee Celtic Boys
Kirrie Thistle
Imran Madugu - The big striker put his early penalty miss behind him, picking up two goals and an assist. A handful all afternoon for the Kirrie defence.
Rory Davidson - Kirrie's keeper put on a sparking display that kept the score down with countless acrobatic saves throughout his stint between the sticks.
Magic Moment
Dundee Celtic Boys
Kirrie Thistle
Ben Barclay - The winger showed good feet to get into the box, and made no mistake with a cool finish past Davidson.
Davidson's Penalty Save - It wasn't the best effort from Madugu but Davidson did well to keep it out and push the ball to safety.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments