Home My YFS

DDYFA Results Round-Up 06/05/18

Written by 

There was more cup final drama in the DDYFA while several clubs marched on in the East Region Cup.

Here’s how the action went down:



Pitfour are into the semi-finals of the East Region Cup after a 4-1 win over Letham SC.

Ferry Athletic took a big step towards clinching the Café Royale League title with a 3-2 win over Riverside. Montrose beat Maryfield by the same score.

Newtyle won 4-1 against Broughty Panthers in the J Clenaghan League, while Brechin beat Arbroath 3-1. Dundee West Reds picked up a 7-3 win over St Andrews Colts.



Celtic Boys put on a scintillating display as they downed Kirrie Thistle in the final of the Reilly Falconer Cup. Ben Barclay opened the scoring for the DS Rennie League leaders in the first half, with a header from Jake McHugh doubling their advantage in the second half. Imran Madugu made sure of the win with a late brace.

Kirrie scored six times as they lifted the Dundee West Anniversary cup six weeks earlier, and they were nearly gifted the opener after 10 minutes. Celtic keeper Callum Angus kicked the ball into Sam Ellis who with the goal gaping lifted the ball over the bar from 15 yards.

It was a big chance gone begging for the Angus side, who were nearly punished moments later as Jake McHugh’s cross landed at the feet of Stevenson a matter of yards from goal, but he mishit his effort.

With 17 minutes gone, Celtic were presented a golden chance to take the lead as James Downie was taken down inside the box. Madugu stepped up, but his spot kick was kept out by Rory Davidson, who pushed the ball over the bar.

Eventually, the pressure told, and Celtic broke the deadlock. Madugu found Ben Barclay on the left and he powered his way into the box before slipping the ball past Davidson at the near post.

Celtic continued their pressure into the second half, but Davidson continued to deny them. The Kirrie stopper pulled of a stunning diving save to keep out a curling effort from Madugu before smothering Stevenson’s rebound.

Kirrie made a host of changes as they attempted to get back into the game but fell further behind after 49 minutes. Christopher Gorrie delivered a deep cross from the right which guided home by McHugh from close range.

Jake Kettles had the chance to reduce the deficit after a cleverly worked corner, but his effort deflected behind. A long ball into the Kirrie box was met by Madugu and despite the efforts of Davidson, the big striker gave Celtic a three-goal lead.

In injury time, the ball broke to Barclay, who saw his first-time strike headed behind for a corner. The resulting delivery lead to a goalmouth stramash that ended with Madugu firing home with what proved to be the final kick of the ball.

Fairmuir beat AM Soccer 4-0 to book their place in the semi-final of the East Region Cup. Jordan Adam, Mark Ross, Ryan Hutton and Kyle Smith were all on target.

Broughty United returned to winning ways with a 4-3 win over Brechin. Leon Winterton and Lewis Grant fired Broughty into an early lead only for Brechin to level the match at 2-2.

Benji Kane put Broughty back in front but Brechin found another equaliser. Winterton struck the winner seven minutes from time.

Charlie Massie scored a hat trick as Ferry beat Montrose 5-0. Nicolas Matthew and Harrison Taylor completed the scoring. Forfar beat Dundee West 9-1.

St Andrews Colts won 6-1 against Monifieth in the Watson McInally League, while Maryfield and Vale of Tay drew 0-0.



Jamie McCann scored a hat trick as Fairmuir beat Dundee Thistle 7-2 in the G Taylor League. Zain Ferguson, Callum Rae, Liam Hunt and Damian Kunc also scored.

Broughty Panthers picked up their first win since February as they beat Forfar. Ryan Carr scored a hat trick, with Lewis Munro and Josh Knight also scoring.

Dundee West beat Carnoustie 5-2. Lewis Sivewright opened the scoring after 20 seconds, but Lewis Hutton levelled the match after nine minutes.

Logan Piggott scored either side of Sivewright’s second as the half ended with Dundee West 3-2 ahead. Luke Miller made it four for Dundee West before Hutton completed the scoring late on.

Celtic Boys beat Montrose by three goals to two. Zak Benmalek, Dylan Young and Adam Shaffi gave Celtic a 3-0 lead before Montrose pulled two back late on.

Ally Alcorn scored a hat trick as Pitfour beat Riverside 3-0, while Ferry beat Broughty United in their penultimate game of the season.



Rory Jagusinski scored that goal that fired Fairmuir into the semi-finals of the East Region Cup at the expense of Rothes Juniors.

Dryburgh Athletic beat Broughty United 5-2 in the Maryfield League and Ferry won 3-2 against Logie Harp. Jeanfield and Forfar played out a 2-2 draw while St Murdochs drew 3-3 with Blairgowrie.

Monifieth beat Kirrie Thistle 4-0 in the W Mills League while Dundee Thistle beat St Murdochs Colts 1-0.



ACSC inflicted East Craigie Swifts first ever domestic defeat with a 5-3 win in the Dave Pullar League.

The two bottom sides Forfar Boys and Dundee Rangers played out a 2-2 draw, while Kirrie beat Fairmuir 9-5.

St Andrews Colts beat Forfar WE 4-2 in the Bodycare Complimentary Clinics League, while Brechin beat Partan Craig 3-1.



A late penalty from Ross Bell clinched the Peter MacAvoy Cup for Fairmuir Violet. Gary Scobie had Fairmuir ahead with a thunderous first half free kick but Blair McCord levelled seven minutes after half time.

With five minutes to go, Bell was fouled inside the Ferry box and slotted home the penalty to secure Fairmuir the cup and keep their treble dream alive.

Ryan Scobie netted a free kick 12-months ago when these sides contested the Henry Dolan Cup final, and it was his left foot that rewarded Fairmuir for their efforts seven minutes before half time. The defender curled home a free kick from 25 yards that Ferry keeper Stewart Linton couldn’t keep out.

Fairmuir thought they had their second seven minute after the break when Ball forced the ball home from close range, but the referee disallowed the goal for a foul on a Ferry defender in the build-up.

30 seconds passed between the referee disallowing Fairmuir’s goal and Ferry equalising. The George Kerr Cup winner’s sent the resulting free kick long amidst the Fairmuir protests and the ball was eventually played into Blair McCord, who rifled home a shot from 20 yards to bring Ferry level.

Both sides were creating chances as the full-time whistle approached and Linton denied Fairmuir once again as he kept out a close-range effort from Jack Taylor. Bell should have scored after 81 minutes when he worked space at the edge of the Ferry box, but he shot over.

A long ball caught out the Fairmuir defence allowing Kyle Anderson to run through on goal. The striker has often been Ferry’s man for the big occasion over the years, but he opted to shoot rather than cut the ball across for one of his teammates allowing Connor to make a comfortable save.

It was a big chance that Ferry were punished for not taking as Bell was soon fouled in the box, leaving the referee with little choice but to point to the penalty spot. The midfielder dusted himself off and coolly dispatched the penalty as Fairmuir retook the lead with five minutes to go.

Andrew Creegan

Andrew Creegan | YFS East Region Multimedia Journalist
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Login to post comments