Home My YFS

Close match in all-Broughty affair as Pumas beat Panthers on penalties

Broughty United Pumas 1

Grimes (OG) 47

Broughty United Panthers 1

Boyle 17
  • Broughty Pumas win 4-2 on penalties
  • Sunday, 09 September 2018
  • Monifieth High School
  • Under 16´s
  • inspiresport Scottish Cup 1st Round
It was an all-Broughty affair in the first round of the inspiresport Scottish Youth FA Cup as Broughty United Pumas beat Broughty United Panthers in a tense and even game that went all the way to penalties on a blustery day in Monifieth.
The first chance of the game didn't arrive until the 14th minute of the game when a corner taken by Pumas player Sean O'Meara was met by the head of Andrew Holmes, whose effort looked to be looping into the net but flied just over the bar.
Pumas were made to pay for that miss as three minutes later Panthers had the lead. A long throw from the right hand side by Adam Barclay fell to the feet of Daniel Boyle, who hit a low half-volley which Pumas 'keeper Craig Gibb could not keep out.
Panthers nearly added to their lead a minute later when a cross from the right found Ryan Carr, but the striker could only send his shot over the bar.
The Pumas, in their all red kit, were still well in the match and came close when a long shot from Douglas Blackwood flashed just wide of Liam Innes' goal.
Some slack play at the back from the Panthers nearly gifted their opponents an equaliser soon after, as Holmes found himself one-on-one with Innes, with the 'keeper producing a good save to keep his side in front.
Pumas were having their most dominant spell of the match and could have been in front through Christopher Locherty, but before he could fire a shot off from just inside the box he was dispossesed by a superb tackle from Sam Grimes.
Next to try their luck for the Pumas was Connor Bain, who lined up a free-kick from 30 yards which cannoned off of the post and, fortunately for Innes in the Panthers goal, past the post.
  • Half Time:
  • Broughty United Pumas
  • 0-1
  • Broughty United Panthers
Pumas started the half the same way they finished it, putting the Panthers under an immense amount of pressure to level the score and bring themselves back into this pulsating Scottish Cup tie.
Seven minutes into the half, they found themselves level in somewhat fortuitous circumstances. Blackwood ran down the left hand side and hit a cross-cum-shot which deflected off of the unfortunate Grimes and into the net. A harsh goal to lose for Panthers, who had defended well under pressure.
Panthers responded well to being pegged back and were nearly back in front when Boyle tried his luck from the halfway line, having seen that Gibb was off his line, but put too much on his effort which went behind for a goal kick.
Haaris Ahmed was next to threaten for the Panthers as he managed to take the ball off of the Pumas defence, and showed good footwork before dragging his shot wide of goal.
Liam Jones tried next for Panthers when he hit a half-volley that needed a good save from Gibb as the away side started to turn up the pressure.
One more effort saw Carr prevented by Gibb and the match moved into extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Broughty United Pumas
  • 1-1
  • Broughty United Panthers
Panthers continued their pressure into the first half of extra time and had the first attempt after five minutes when Finlay Kenyon managed to break free of his marker, but his effort was saved by Gibb.

That proved to be the only chance of extra-time and the match moved on to a penalty shootout.

Pumas took an early lead in the shootout when Gibb saved from Kenyon after Bain handed his side the early advantage. Both sides second penalties were scored, Lucas Simpson for Pumas and Jones for the Panthers

The third penalties were duly dispatched as well, with O'Meara and Lewis Munro scoring for their respective teams.

Panthers were given a lifeline when Innes saved from Gary Mearns, but missed the opportunity to capitalise after Gibb saved from Carr's spot-kick

That meant that Gregor Lee had the chance to send his side through to the second round of the Scottish Cup, which he did with confidence

A great game befitting the competition. Huge credit must go to Broughty Panthers who could have won the game on another day, but congratulations to Broughty Pumas who will play in the second round.

Final Result: Broughty Pumas win 4-2 on penalties


Broughty United Pumas
Broughty United Panthers
1. Craig Gibb
3. Ewan Lee
4. Douglas Blackwood
5. McKenzie Lee
6. Robert Glass
7. Gregor Lee
8. Sean O'Meara
10. Christopher Locherty
12. Lucas Simpson
15. Ben Paterson
18. Gary Mearns
20. Andrew Holmes
21. Blair Gauld
35. Connor Bain
16. Liam Innes
2. Adam Barclay
3. Ethan Clark
5. Callum Livingston
6. Sam Grimes
7. Ryan Carr
8. Liam Jones
9. Lewis Denny
11. Hamza Parvaiz
12. Finlay Kenyon
14. Daniel Boyle
15. Haaris Ahmed
19. Lewis Munro
Star Player
Broughty United Pumas
Broughty United Panthers
Douglas Blackwood - The midfielder was impressive all afternoon, setting up a number of counter-attacks and playing a key role in his side's equaliser.
Ryan Carr - The striker was a constant threat to the Pumas defence and on another day could have had a couple of goals under his belt.
Magic Moment
Broughty United Pumas
Broughty United Panthers
Gregor Lee's penalty which sent Broughty Pumas to the second round of the Scottish Cup.
Daniel Boyle's goal - A good finish and it set up a pulsating match between two strong sides.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments