Home My YFS
Sunday, 25 March 2012 16:21

Late comeback secures Fife Cup for Woodside

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Dunfermline United Under16s
Woodside B.C Under 16s
Competition: Fife Cup Final
Venue: Dundonald Park
Date: 25/03/2012
Author: Sam Robertson
A thrilling final 10 minutes at Dundonald park saw Woodside score two late goals to come from behind to win the Fife Cup on a hot day in Cardenden.
Goals from Nathan Feeley, Dylan Anderson and Andrew Edmond secured a memorable win for Woodside.
It was an even start to the match with neither side gaining the upper hand and creating any goalscoring chances. The first chance came for Woodside on 7 minutes when Sandy Strang's long free kick fell to Greg Hill who could only shoot straight at the keeper. Hill had another chance 2 minutes later when he made space inside the box but his shot was again saved by Daniel Garvie.
However, it was Woodside who took the lead on 11 minutes when Duncan Marnoch's corner was turned in by captain Nathan Feeley. Feeley had looked dangerous early on and took his goal well to give Woodside the lead.
Dunfermline went out in search of an equaliser and came close on 15 minutes when Shane David broke through the Woodside defence but Daniel Garvie rushed from his goals and blocked the ball well. The next chance fell to Woodside when Dylan Anderson turned well in the box but he fired his shot straight at the keeper. 
The dangerous Nathan Feeley almost got his second goal in spectacular  fashion when he controlled a long ball well on his chest but his speculative overhead kick floated just wide. A great effort from the Woodside captain who was inspirational in his side's victory.
Woodside then felt they should have had a penalty on 36 minutes when Alastair More was brought down in the box but the ref waved away the protests, much to the frustration of the Woodside players.
Half Time: Dunfermline United Under 16s 0-1 Woodside B.C Under 16s
The second half started in similar fashion to the first with neither side creating any goalscoring chances and dominating possession.
The first chance came 11 minutes into the half when Woodside winger Raymond Crichton did well to set up Nathan Feeley but he fired his shot over from a good position.
This miss proved to be costly as Dunfermline equalised a minute later. An excellent through ball from Blair Springhall found Greg Hill and he lobbed the ball over the helpless Daniel Garvie. This goal for Dunfermline was deserved as they had missed a number of chances previous to this.
This goal brought the game to life and and the stage was set for a thrilling final 20 minutes.
Woodside almost went back in front on 56 minutes but Nathan Feeley's left foot drive was tipped over well by United's keeper, Lewis Campbell. Dunfermline then came close when James Gunn's curling free kick went inches wide and some members of the crowd thought he had scored, only to find it was the wrong side of the post. 
Dunfermline did go in front, however, on 69 minutes when Kelsey Sharp found space down the left and fired a thunderous effort into the top corner. A brilliant goal and Dunfermline just had to hold out for 10 minutes to win the cup.
Woodside had other ideas though and reacted quickly to going behind. They pressed hard and found an equaliser with 5 minutes to go when Lewis Scarlett's fantastic cross was headed home by Dylan Anderson. 
The game looked to be heading for extra time until Woodside found their winner on 79 minutes. Substitute Andrew Edmond broke through the United defence and fired a shot across the keeper into the bottom corner. A strike worthy of winning any match and sparked great scenes of jubilation among both the players and supporters.
Dunfermline looked for an equaliser but the Woodside defence remained strong. They came fairly close to drawing level when a corner fell to Darren Devlin but his long range shot floated a yard or so over the bar. 
An incredible turnaround from Woodside who looked destined for defeat with 10 minutes to go. Commiserations to Dunfermline who put up a fantastic fight but just came up short. A thrilling final which will remain in the memory of the Woodside players for years to come.
Full Time: Dunfermline United Under 16s 2-3 Woodside B.C Under 16s
Dunfermline United Under 16s
Woodside B.C Under 16s
1. Lewis Campbell
2. Gary Jackson
3. Sandy Strang
4. Gavin Westwood (c)
5. Darren Devlin
7. Greg Hill
8. Hamish Anderson
9. Blair Springhall
10. Lewis Hempseed
11. Shane David
12. Kelsey Sharp
6. James Gunn
14. Rory Maclean
15. Ben Beveridge
1. Daniel Garvie
3. Lewis To
4. Craig Lawrence
6. Alastair More
8. Liam Rolland
10. Raymond Crichton
12. Nathan Feeley (c)
13. Dylan Anderson
14. Kieran Wylie
15. Neil Wallace
16. Duncan Marnoch
7. Max Coleman
11. Andrew Edmond
17. Lewis Scarlett
18. Craig Sinclair
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Kelsey Sharp
Givova UK Man of the Match: Nathan Feeley
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 14:40
Sam Robertson

Sam Robertson | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments