Home My YFS

Gutsy Kincardine triumph in Fife Spring Cup final

AM Soccer 1

Lang 36

Kincardine FC 2

Brown 55, 80
  • Sunday, 25 May 2014
  • Denfield Park, Kirkcaldy
  • Under 17´s
  • AFYFC Spring Cup - Final

Graham Swann | YFS East Region Journalist

Kincardine stunned AM Soccer to clinch the Fife Spring Cup in a compelling final in Kirkcaldy.
The West Fife side had to come from a goal behind to overcome their opponents in a match that was hotly contested on a slippery pitch after some early morning rain.
It was AM Soccer, playing in their black strips, who made the brightest start and tested Sean Murphy in the Kincardine goal with some early shots. It was a tactic worth applying given the tricky playing surface.
Kincardine were struggling to get a hold of the ball with AM Soccer dominating the game in midfield.
On the half hour mark, AM Soccer’s impressive right back Tom Webster burst forward but he couldn’t fully gain control of the ball and Kincardine’s defence cleared the danger.
The breakthrough came after 36 minutes and it was AM Soccer who struck first. Webster slipped a good ball through to Harry Galloway in the penalty box. His effort was blocked by Murphy and the rebound fell to James Lang who made no mistake firing the ball under the goalkeeper and into the net.
It was a deserved lead for AM Soccer but they were almost caught out when Kincardine created their best chance of the match five minutes before half time. Connor Allison swung in a superb cross from the right and up leapt Liam Carlin but his header went narrowly wide.
It looked to be a costly miss when, just two minutes later, AM Soccer were awarded a penalty after Murphy came rushing out of his goal and clattered into Galloway. Kyle Pratt took the spot kick but it was driven straight down the middle that Murphy saved with ease.
The half was all but over but there was panic in the Kincardine ranks when goalkeeper Murphy fell to the ground, appearing to be suffering from an asthma attack. After a few minutes, he was back on his feet and able to continue.
  • Half Time:
  • AM Soccer
  • 1-0
  • Kincardine FC
Kincardine knew they had to improve from their first half performance after so nearly going 2-0 down.
On 51 minutes, AM Soccer had an excellent chance to double their lead. Jack Richardson found some space on the edge to the box, shifted the ball to the right and curled his effort towards the bottom right corner of the goal but Murphy brilliantly turned the ball behind for a corner.
There were signs of improvement from Kincardine and they levelled the match ten minutes into the second half. Jack Brown burst through on goal and it looked as if the AM Soccer defence had blocked the danger but Brown found space and fired the ball beyond goalkeeper Cameron Somerville.
It was the boost the team in blue and white stripes were looking for, especially so early into the second half.
On 74 minutes AM Soccer were awarded a free kick in a wide left position. Morgan Dow swung the ball into the penalty box but Murphy somehow clawed onto the ball after a dangerous looking header.
Four minutes later Kincardine nearly took the lead. Carlin launched a delightful ball forward to the lively Brown. He beat the defender but Somerville parried the shot and the danger was cleared.
Brown bagged his second goal of the game with ten minutes of this final remaining. Yet again, another long ball forward caused problems for AM Soccer’s defence. Brown had only the goalkeeper to beat and kept his cool to slot the ball into the corner of the net sparking jubilation amongst the Kincardine coaches, subs and supporters.
AM Soccer’s lead had been wiped out and time was running out for them to score a second goal. While there is time there is usually one final opportunity to be created. Dramatically, there was.  
In the second minute of added time, Dow skipped past a challenge on the right side and drove into the box. He fed the ball across the face of goal but somehow Galloway dragged his shot wide from only a few yards out.
It was a disaster for AM Soccer but pure relief for Kincardine.
The referee blew for full time prompting wild celebrations for Kincardine as AM Soccer’s players crashed to the ground in disbelief.
AM Soccer played very well at times and the pace in their team caused several problems for the Kincardine defence. They will rue the chances missed – including the penalty kick late in the first half. It was a gutsy second half display from Kincardine who were much more dangerous on the attacking front following a tame first half.
  • Full Time:
  • AM Soccer
  • 1-2
  • Kincardine FC


AM Soccer
Kincardine FC
1. Cameron Somerville
2. Tom Webster
3. Calum Heggie
4. Scott Binnie
5. Adam Knox
6. Kyle Pratt
7. James Lang
8. Morgan Dow
9. Matthew Wallace Cookson
10. Harry Galloway
11. Ben Paterson
14. Fraser McCallum
18. Jack Richardson
19. Andrew Cameron
20. Janek Adam
1. Sean Murphy
2. Connor Allison
3. Grant Urquart
4. Callum Gauld
5. Mark MacAulay
6. Owen Condie
7. James McFarlane
8. David Little
9. Thomas Hall
10. Liam Carlin
11. Jack Brown
12. Thomas Chalmers
14. James Mitchell
15. Kiel Adamson
16. Mark Morton
Star Player
AM Soccer
Kincardine FC
Tom Webster had a good game in defence and looked steady when dealing with Kincardine attacks. He played well offensively setting up team mates and occasionally pressed forward himself.
Goalkeeper Sean Murphy had an excellent game and was called upon several times to make crucial saves - none more so than the penalty save in the first half. It should be mentioned also that two-goal hero Jack Brown was lively in attack and took his goals well.
Magic Moment
AM Soccer
Kincardine FC
The first goal in this game was always going to be key especially in this tight cup final. AM Soccer deservedly took the lead but sadly for them they couldn't add to their solitary goal.
Scoring the equaliser not long into the second half gave them a huge boost and helped drive them on. Conceding a second could have all but finished the game as a contest.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments