Local Dundee boy Garry was noticed at a young age while attending Jim McLean's Coaching School and playing for Dundee Schoolboys, and came up through the ranks at United, playing regularly at Under-17, Youth, Under-19 and Under-21 levels. He also gained International recognition, appearing for Scotland Under-19's and Under-20's, and found himself on United's first team substitute bench, although not used, by May 2004.
A loan period at Cowdenbeath loomed for Kenneth, gaining valuable first team experience. Since returning the central defender has never looked back, establishing himself as a key player for United and winning full international honours with Scotland.
Gary now answers five questions on his youth career for YFS...
1. Which clubs did you play for in your youth career?
I played for Dundee United Social Club, Lincraig, St Josephs and returned for a second spell at Dundee United Social Club.
2. Who were the best players you played with and against in your youth career?
During my youth career I played against Benzema for Scotland u19's and played with Robert Snodgrass.
3. Who were your role models as a young player?
My idols growing up, being a Dundee United fan, were Paul Hegarty and Jason De Vos.
4. Who was your favourite coach at youth level?
My favourite coach was my dundee united social club manager Shug MacLaughlan.
5. If you had one piece of advice to give to today's generation of youth football players, what would it be?
Practice, practice, practice with every spare minute you should be practicing. As a young player you can never be too good!