Home My YFS

Clinical Leith through to Scottish Cup semi final after beating KSC Town

Leith Athletic 5

McManus 6,21,30 Davis 40, McBride 81

KSC Town 2

Black 52, Murphy 69
  • Sunday, 15 February 2015
  • Meadowbank
  • Under 17´s
  • Scottish Cup

Charalambos (Harvey) Nafpliotis | YFS South East Region Journalist

Leith Athletic and Kilwining Sports Club faced off in an exciting Scottish cup quarter final tie at Meadowbank. Leith dominated the early exchanges between the two sides and they turned this dominance in to a goal very early on. Davis was on corner duty and delivered a great ball in to the back post for the awaiting McManus to make it 1-0 to the hosts with just 6 minutes played. 
Just a couple of minutes later Davis was on hand at a set piece again floating in a long free kick from deep that just evaded the awaiting Leith players in the KSC box. 
Kilwinning may well have been losing the battle for possession but they could hardly be accused of a lack of effort, chasing every ball down and attempting to regain control of the match. 
With 10 minutes played Wilson threaded a through ball towards KSC frontman Jack Ewing as they fashioned their first real chance to draw the game level. Laverty of Leith had other ideas however, showing great awareness to cut out the ball just before it reached its intended target.
Kilwinning were not to be deterred however and midfielder Ben Black showed a fantastic turn of pace to race through the Leith defence in to the box, another good challenge this time by Jamie Chapman denying the visitors the equaliser.
After this scare Leith pushed on, Bradon Archibald looked keen to get on the score sheet as he tested KSC goalie Sinclair with two long range efforts from well outside the area. Though the efforts were well saved by the goalkeeper credit must be given to Archibald who had both the belief in his ability and technique to keep both efforts on target from some way out.
Leith were not to be denied a second however and it was the combination of Davis and McManus again who produced the goods. Davis created good space down the wing, whipping in a great cross for McManus to apply the finish and get his second of the game, 2-0 Leith with 21 minutes played.
KSC looked surprised to be two goals down and turned their frustration in to energy straight after the goal. Bryden took the ball for a run through midfield interchanging passes with Black before finding Ewing with a driven pass. The big striker showed great technique, attempting a chip over the advancing Leith goalie, however Chapman was once again on hand for Leith this time to clear off the line.
Once again Leith seemed to deal with a scare by holding the ball well and probing at the KSC defence. Ewing was one man who epitomised his team’s determination to get back in to the game however as he chased down every ball looking to create chances for his teammates.
What happened next perhaps sums up how unlucky KSC could count themselves during periods of this match. Having had an effort cleared off the line Ewing looked desperate to score. Ewing took control of the ball and looked to charge at the Leith defence, however Coll Reekie of Leith showed great movement and a perfectly timed tackle to take the ball from Ewing. The Leith midfielder then wasted no time playing a well-executed lofted ball to McManus who took the ball in his stride past the KSC defence and finished low in the corner for 3-0.
Some teams may have taken the foot of the gas at 3-0 and looked to finish the half with more possession. By contrast Leith looked determined to secure their passage to the Scottish cup semi-final by adding another. With 40 minutes played they did just that when Davis was brought down in the Kilwinning box. Davis showed great courage taking the penalty himself sending Sinclair the wrong way and slotting the ball in to the corner. 4-0 Leith at the halftime whistle.
  • Half Time:
  • Leith Athletic
  • 4-0
  • KSC Town
With the score at 4-0 the hosts came out looking far more confident than their dejected counterparts. Perhaps this confidence was exhibited too early from Leith as chances would follow for Kilwinning. Christopher Wilson of KSC showed early on that he possesses good stamina, movement and ball control as he kept the ball traveling well at his feet while looking for the perfect pass.   
The visitors started to keep the ball a lot better than in the first half and showed signs of a passing game which had be missing in the first half. This led to their first chance of the game with around 10 minutes. Darren McCann was alert to nip in and collect the ball after some slack passing in defence from Leith and when he found Black the forward made no mistake, drilling the ball low in to the bottom corner from just outside the box, 4-1.
As had been the case for Leith the whole game, action sparked reaction. Marco McBride linked well with Ross Aitchison and when Aitchison passed the ball in to space for McBride down the right flank, the wide man delivered a brilliant cross, which was for McBride and Leith unfortunately brilliantly cleared by Ross McColl at the heart of the KSC defence.
With 24 minutes played Kilwining looked to give it a final push to get in to the game and keep their cup hopes alive. This obvious burst of determination yielded results for Kilwinning as good midfield pressure meant Alan Murphy found himself one on one with Chapman. The KSC forward demonstrating great skill to beat his man and quickly slot the ball past King in the Leith goal for 4-2.
With a score at 4-2 and with just under half of the second half to play Kilwinning looked visibly buoyed and looked to frustrate Leith by keeping possession. Leith would however create chances and were unlucky not extend their lead just 5 minutes later. A long range shot from inform man Davis was well parried but Sean Waterson who showed blistering pace to race in to the box saw his effort whizz just over the bar.
With the game drawing to a close it was Leith who ended the game strongest as they were able to regain domination of possession and looked dangerous in the final third.  A free kick by Davis on 38 minutes was punched clear by KSC goalkeeper Sinclair and the ball was tuned back in to the box by an Alert Waterson for Leith, McGill of KSC however made a brilliant headed clearance denying the hosts the chance to extend their lead.
The last 5 minutes of this game were played at a blistering pace and were full of incident. First Kilwining who must be applauded for chasing the game until the final whistle, produced a well worked corner which had to be cleared off the line by Leith’s Sam McLaren. 
With the game in its closing stages however it was McBride who stole the show. The midfielder created great space from himself shrugging off a challenge before unleashing a left footed wonder strike in to the top corner of the KSC net. A sublime finish from the young man and one that would not look out of place on a premiership highlight reel. 
Final score, Leith 5-2 KSC Town. A score which perhaps paints a bleak picture for Kilwinning in what was a very strong Leith performance peppered with moments of brilliance. However great respect must be given to Kilwinning who kept fighting until the final whistle and were by no means willing to concede defeat.
  • Full Time:
  • Leith Athletic
  • 5-2
  • KSC Town


Leith Athletic
KSC Town
1. Aaron King
2. Ross Aitchison
3. Alexander Simpson
4. Sam Laverty
5. Niall Kane
6. James Burt
7. Sam Mclaren
8. Coll Reekie
9. Sean Waterson
10. Harry Davis
11. Jamie Chapman
12. Brardon Archibald
14. Callum Sheilds
15. Callum Sandison
21. Morgan McIntosh
1. James Sinclair
3. Lloyd Dicks
4. John Monan
5. William McClean
6. Ross Maccoll
7. Cameron Thomson
8. Darren Mccann
9. Jack Ewing
10. Alan Murphy
11. Ben Black
14. Craig Mcgill
15. Adam Ogilvie
16. Frazer Brydon
18. Samuel Taggart
19. Lewis Walker
20. Christopher Wilson
Star Player
Leith Athletic
KSC Town
Harry Davis A great display from Davis saw him link play well and provide two assists for his team.
Jack Ewing A difficult afternoon for the striker, however he never stopped running and attempting to change his team's fortunes. Fantastic energy.
Magic Moment
Leith Athletic
KSC Town
Without question the 5th goal for Leith. An astounding piece of skill from Marco McBride. A good 22 yards between him and the goal was no problem as he hit a sweet strike right in to the top corner.
Jack Ewing was the epitome of hard work for his team. His chipped effort was very pleasing to see. A very difficult technique to pull off even for the top pro players. Jack was unlucky to see his effort cleared off the line.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments