Home My YFS

Lewis United Victorious in 'Top-of-the-Table-Clash'

Banks O'Dee Albion FC 1

Reid 19'

Lewis United Youth FC 3

Ward 11' 80+2', L. Murray 30'
  • Sunday, 31 January 2016
  • Spain Park
  • Under 15´s
  • ADJFA League A

Claire Gulline | YFS Aberdeen Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Described by spectators as a ‘top-of-the-table-clash’, the meeting between Banks O’Dee Albion and Lewis United Youth did not disappoint in entertainment or controversy. Lewis United fought to take a 3-1 victory. Their goals were scored by Lucas Murray and two by Robert Ward while Euan Reid scored for Banks O’Dee.

It was clear in the opening passages of play that it was going to be a physical encounter and Lewis United were awarded a free kick from thirty-five yards. Cai Matthew sent the ball into the box where Ross Young tried to send it into the net but his shot was just wide.

The home side were soon building their own attack and Jack Hamilton put the ball through for Josh Lumsden. His return reached Hamilton who shot from inside the box but the ball was deflected by Lewis United’s Ryan Lawrence.

Banks O’Dee were then awarded a free kick at thirty yards and wide to the left, taken by Michael Mitchell. He curved the ball over the defensive wall but it was headed clear by goalkeeper, Matthew Buckham.

Lewis United were building pressure with Blair McKenzie driving forward before Rory Brown lobbed the ball from thirty yards but his shot was wide. The visitors continued to press through Young who crossed the ball to the other side of the box for Robert Ward, who saw it into the net with an overhead kick in the eleventh minute.

The home side were not put out and Lumsden broke through the defence. Lucas Murray closed in but Lumsden passed to Hamilton who shot from inside the box only to be denied by Buckham. Scott Kinghorn kept the pressure on though as he shot from twenty-five yards but Buckham caught the ball.

The visitors looked dangerous as Young sent the ball down the wing for Blair McKenzie but Banks O’Dee held their defence strong and cleared the danger.

Banks O’Dee were than awarded a corner which was taken by Mitchell. He sent the ball into the box where it was struck by Euan Reid who found the back of the net to level the score in the nineteenth minute.

Continuing to exert pressure, Mitchell sent the ball through for Adam Carter who shot from wide to the right but the ball swept past the front of the goal.

Some interchanging play saw Lewis United break through the defence with McKenzie driving forward but he pressed just too far and found the side of the net.

Mitchell looked dangerous once again as he drove the ball towards the box but Murray Esson closed in to contest the ball. There was an audible gasp from the crowd as the referee awarded a foul and then showed Esson a red card, leaving the visitors down to ten men for the remainder of the match. However Banks O’Dee were unable to capitalise on the free kick that they were awarded just outside the box, and the half came to an end with the score still level.

  • Half Time:
  • Banks O'Dee Albion FC
  • 1-1
  • Lewis United Youth FC

The visitors created some chances early on in the second half with McKenzie and Ward looking dangerous in the box. Both made shots from inside the box only to be denied by Banks O’Dee’s goalkeeper, Ross Mowat, who threw himself around the goal mouth to prevent Lewis from scoring.

Banks O’Dee were eager to create their own chances and Max Scholler lured Buckham out of the goal before shooting from the edge of the box. However Young sent the ball out of play to deny the scoring chance.

A second yellow card was shown to Lumsden to bring the home side down to ten men but they held their defence to clear the danger posed from the free kick that Lewis were awarded.

However the visitors looked strong in attack with McKenzie racing down the wing before passing back to Young. He jinked the defence before passing to Rory Brown, whose shot from inside the box was just wide.

Lewis were than awarded a corner which was crossed into the box by Gregor Whyte. He crossed the ball into the box where it was headed by Lucas Murray grazing Mowat’s arm as it went into the net in the seventieth minute.

The visitors looked set to score again soon after as Whyte shot from thirty yards and wide to the left but Mowat made a stunning save, leaping high to push it over the crossbar.

The home side were looking to level the score and pressed forward with Mitchell putting the ball into the box as Sammy Ukah ran on but Buckham smothered the ball before either player could get there.

Banks O’Dee were then awarded a free kick at twenty yards and wide to the right. Mitchell sent the ball into the box where it was struck by Hamilton but it went just wide.

Lewis set up some interchanging play through McKenzie and Young. However Mowat took Young out the in the box and the visitors were awarded a penalty. Ward sent the ball into the back of the net to extend his side’s lead in the eighty-second minute, securing their victory.

  • Full Time:
  • Banks O'Dee Albion FC
  • 1-3
  • Lewis United Youth FC


Banks O'Dee Albion FC
Lewis United Youth FC
1. Ross Mowat
2. Owen Duff
3. Josh Lumsden
4. Morgan Bruce
5. Euan Reid
6. Andrew Mitchell
7. Matty Owen
8. Matty Tough
9. Keiran Jamieson
10. Michael Mitchell
12. Adam Carter
14. Ross McKenzie
15. Max Scholler
18. Sammy Ukah
19. Jack Hamilton
22. Scott Kinghorn
1. Matthew Buckham
2. Lucas Murray
3. Ryan Lawrence
4. Owen Murison
5. Harley Stewart
6. Ben Marr
7. Murray Esson
8. Blair McKenzie
9. Robert Ward
10. Ross Young
11. Kai Morrison
14. Gregor Whyte
16. Cai Matthew
17. Shaun Spence
19. Rory Brown
20. Joel Murray
Star Player
Banks O'Dee Albion FC
Lewis United Youth FC
Jack Hamilton - He had a great game. Creating opportunities for himself and his teammates, he was a prominent figure in attack for the home side.
Robert Ward - It was 'thumbs up' for him, and he used his pace to make a number of breaks and create chances, linking up well with his teammates to do so.
Magic Moment
Banks O'Dee Albion FC
Lewis United Youth FC
Mowat's save in the second half was outstanding. Throughout the game, he put his body on the line to deny Lewis more goals but his leap to push the ball over the crossbar following Whyte's shot from thirty yards was a fantastic bit of skill.
Robert Ward's first goal was fantastic. The initial break by Ross Young was a great bit of play and he knew exactly where Ward was. Ward's overhead kick was well executed and was a stylish method of putting his team in the lead.
Club Views
Banks O'Dee Albion FC
Lewis United Youth FC
I spoke with Alex Gray, manager of Banks O'Dee Albion, who said, "I thought we worked hard. I was looking for a reaction from the boys today which we got. I thought we matched [Lewis United] in all areas and I think it was a tighter game than the scoreline suggested." On their aims for this season, he said, "We want to win the league and the cups that we're still in. We have a decent lead at the top and we're looking to extend that next week."
I spoke with Neil Esson, the coach of Lewis United Youth, who said, "I thought all the boys were absolutely brilliant. The whole sixteen were brilliant today. Our boys play good football and on their day, they're a good side." On their aims for this season, he said, "It's difficult to say. We've still to play Albion three times, once in the league and in two cups. Westdyke are a good side as well, and I think it will be between the three teams to win the league."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments