Home My YFS

ALC Athletic outclassed by high tempo Banks O'Dee

ALC Athletic 2

Duncan 59, Ifi 62 pen

Banks O'Dee 4

Ritchie 6, Masson 13, Paton 30, McPherson 49
  • Saturday, 14 October 2017
  • Kaimhill
  • Under 19´s
  • ADJFA U19s A
It was an interesting matchup in the ADJFA U19s League A as ALC Athletic took on Banks O’Dee at Kaimhill. ALC were looking to get off to a strong start as this was their first league game of the season  whilst Banks O’Dee were hoping to bounce back from a disappointing defeat to Inverurie Locos last time out.
Banks O’Dee prevailed in the end thanks to a strong first half performance despite the threat of an ALC comeback late on.
Straight from kick off Banks O’Dee set a high tempo as they put pressure upon the ALC defence and this paid off as they scored an early goal. A corner from Greg Pirie was whipped in to the back stick where it met the head of Jason Ritchie whose header back across goal was too powerful for ALC keeper Keith Robertshaw to save.
Trying not to be disheartened by the early goal, ALC came at Banks O’Dee. A dangerous tackle on Sean McHardy near the edge of the box gave them a perfect opportunity to find an equaliser but the resulting free kick was put high and wide of the goal.
Continuing to play with great intensity, it was not long before Banks O’Dee doubled their lead. Another corner from Pirie was put into the box, this time sneaking low past the front post to Ronan Masson who tapped it home to put his side further ahead.
ALC refused to go down without a fight however. A free kick in a wide position was played into the box by Matthew Clark. Rising high above his marker, Lewis Ifi made strong contact with his header but it was placed too close to the hands of Finlay Johnston who comfortably clutched the ball.
Refusing to be too complacent, Banks O’Dee continued to put immense pressure on the ALC back line. A shot from Mitchell McPherson was saved by Robertshaw low to the left hand corner before being tidied up by Ifi.
Finding themselves with a well-positioned free kick on the edge of the box, Banks O’Dee stretched their lead to three. A low free kick from McPherson was parried by Robertshaw but Lewis Paton was the first to get to the rebound. A close range header above the stranded keeper confirmed Banks O’Dee’s dominant first half performance.
As the first half was coming to a close Banks O’Dee continued to pile on the pressure. A teasing cross from Pirie on the left wing ended up at the feet of ALC defender Ross Milne who was unfortunate to see his clearance intercepted by Connor Wood. A great piece of quick reaction goalkeeping from Robertshaw stopped his team from falling any further behind before half time.
At half time Banks O’Dee had a deserved lead over an ALC side who had been unable to play their best football due to the high intensity of their opposition.
  • Half Time:
  • ALC Athletic
  • 0-3
  • Banks O'Dee
The early portions of the second half looked as though they may go the same as the first when Banks O’Dee added another goal. ALC defender Matthew Clark was unlucky as he missed the ball due to a bobble. This left McPherson in plenty of space to run in on goal and coolly finish the chance high to the keeper’s right.
Although ALC seemed down, they were most certainly not out as two goals in quick succession brought them right back into the game. The first goal came about from an excellent free kick from Connor Towler who picked out Liam Duncan from his own half. Duncan matched the pass with an equally spectacular volley which breathed life into the game as it flew passed the keeper.
The second came only minutes later when ALC were awarded a penalty. Duncan was pulled to the ground by Banks O’Dee defender Masson near to the by-line. Ifi stepped up to take the penalty and calmly slotted it into the bottom left hand corner where Johnston had no chance of saving it.
The quick fire goals lit a spark under ALC who began to show what they could do by reversing the pressure onto the Banks O’Dee defence. Another free kick from Towler was swung into the box, finding Greg Rennnie whose strike went narrowly wide of the back post.
Despite the beginnings of a second half comeback for ALC, Banks O’Dee managed to see out the win by staying composed in defence. The sheer intensity of the play from Banks O’Dee in the first half allowed them to gain a sizeable lead that they could then see out – leaving ALC disappointed that they could not have begun to turn things round sooner.
The win for Banks O’Dee sees them jump up into second place behind leaders Inverurie Locos whilst ALC remain in seventh and looking for their first points this season.  Congratulations to winners Banks O’Dee and well done to both teams for putting on an entertaining spectacle.
  • Full Time:
  • ALC Athletic
  • 2-4
  • Banks O'Dee


ALC Athletic
Banks O'Dee
1. Keith Robertshaw
4. Matthew Clark
5. Logan Paterson
7. Sean McHardy
9. Lewis Ifi
10. Caleb Barbour
11. Liam Duncan
15. Kiel Findlay
16. Connor Towler
17. Greig Rennie
18. Ross Milne
19. Kieran Parker
20. Billy Smith
21. Ryan Gibson
22. Jacob Drummond
1. Finlay Johnston
2. Andy Wood
3. Ronan Masson
4. Jamie Hay
5. Jason Ritchie
6. Cameron Mitchell
7. Joe Talbot
8. Lewis Paton
9. Mitchell McPherson
10. Connor Wood
11. Greg Pirie
12. Cameron Ross
14. Dylan Clark
15. Ewan Turner
16. Jack Odlin
17. Emanuel Samuel
Star Player
ALC Athletic
Banks O'Dee
The star player for ALC Athletic was Lewis Ifi. In a game which was high tempo and at points very physical, Ifi remained strong in the ALC defence. Aside from winning headers and putting in some fantastic tackles, his performance was nicely wrapped up with a coolly taken penalty.
The star player for Banks O’Dee was Greg Pirie. Exemplifying his team’s high intensity style of play, Pirie took the game straight to ALC. His two assists were vital in creating an early lead and his tricky play proved difficult for the opposition defence to deal with.
Magic Moment
ALC Athletic
Banks O'Dee
The magic moment for ALC athletic was their first goal. A fantastic free kick from Towler travelled the length of the park to Duncan who smashed it home with a spectacular volley. Not only was the goal itself impressive, but it also inspired ALC to try and push their way back into the game.
The magic moment for Banks O’Dee was their first goal. Coming early in the match, a corner floated to the back post was met by a powerful header from Ritchie. This goal set up Banks O’Dee for what was to be a dominant first half.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments