Home My YFS

Albion produce powerful performance to progress in Colony Park Cup

Northstar Orange 1

Coutts 50

Banks O'Dee Albion 4

Goense 19, Stevenson 26, Livingstone 51, Okeakawa 63
  • Sunday, 21 January 2018
  • Northfield Academy - Bill Burr Astro Pitch
  • Under 13´s
  • Colony Park Cup

ADJFA League C Section 1 table toppers Northstar Orange played hosts to Banks O’Dee Albion of League A, as they looked to pull off a cup upset in the Colony Park Cup Under 13’s third round.

Both sides were on the right end of heavy scorlines in the second round, with Albion brushing off Blackburn FC, while Northstar beat Kintore United 9-0. It was no surprise that more goals were expected in this tie.

Despite suffering numerous injury problems, which saw some younger players called up for the game, Albion dominated in the early periods. The majority of the first 15 minutes saw Northstar pinned back into their own half. However, the game was scrappy, with the ball spending a large amount of time in the air, and no real chances were created.

When the ball wasn’t in the air during the first 15, it seemed to be in the hands of the referee. In a slightly bizarre scenario the ball was swapped out three times for not being hard enough. Pumps must have been in short order at Northfield Academy.

Once Albion managed to get the ball down and move it a little more quickly, chances began to materialise. Albion’s number eight Scott Milne was played in behind the defence but was closed down by defenders. Minutes later Milne latched onto the ball in the box, however he couldn’t bring it under control long enough to get a shot off.

It felt like only a matter of time before Albion managed to breakthrough, but Northstar continued to frustrate League A’s third placed side. Goalkeeper Archie Stephen made a save down low to deny Albion’s number nine Corey Stevenson.

Northstar could only hold out for so long and Albion finally found the opener on the twenty minute mark. Jesse Goense raced on to a flicked header to find himself through on goal. The striker still had work to do, shifting and turning to open some space, before finally slamming the ball in off the post at a tight angle.

It was only a matter of minutes before Albion made it two. Alfie Knox won a free kick out wide on the right hand side of Northstar’s goal. Stevenson, who had been causing issues on the opposite flank in the early stages, picked up the ball and slammed it into the net over Stephen’s head. The keeper may have been expecting a cross from such a tight angle.

Stevenson was clearly growing in confidence from his goal. The winger took on multiple players just minutes later, using a roulette to escape the challenge of one.

The remainder of the first half was played at a slower pace and while Northstar heads hadn’t necessarily dropped, they were struggling to find a way into Albion’s half, never mind beyond their defence. It was 2-0 at the break.

  • Half Time:
  • Northstar Orange
  • 0-2
  • Banks O'Dee Albion

Albion picked up where they left off as the second half began with Knox through on goal. The winger beat the keeper, but unfortunately hit the post as his low shot rolled wide.

Northstar started to find their feet after Knox’s missed chance. The home side were finding the most joy down Albion’s left hand side.

The left side of Albion’s team had their first warning ten minutes into the half. Joe Stephen used his heel to flick the ball over two opposition players heads, continuing his run down the wing, however no one managed to get on the end of his cross.

Albion’s left hand side didn’t learn from Stephen’s run just minutes earlier and were punished when Jake Coutts made a powerful and pacey run from defence, down the left side past two defenders. Coutts finished his strong run by lobbing the ball over the head of Albion keeper Connor Macleod to give his side some hope. Coutts however, was injured in scoring the goal, though the defender did continue for the remainder of the game.

Albion didn’t wait long to restore their two goal lead. Straight from the kick off the away side built an attack, which finished with number seven Stevie Livingstone set through 1v1 with the goalkeeper, side-footing it beyond Stephen to make it 3-1.

Northstar never looked to accept defeat and Michael Ibizugbe only narrowly missed pulling narrowing the deficit once again as he shot wide after a powerful run.

Albion managed to wrap up the game with just over five minutes left to play. A fantastic block by a Northstar defender to prevent Livingstone scoring again lead to a Knox corner. Northstar never properly cleared the set-piece and substitute Marcel Okeakawa slammed home from close range.

Goense had his second of the match ruled out for offside in the very last stages of the match, meaning the game finished 4-1, with Banks O’Dee Albion progressing to the 4th round of the Colony Park Cup.  

Albion will be delighted to progress through a tie that proved more difficult than they may have imagined with coach Kenny Clubb admitting Albion believes they have the ability to win the whole tournament.

Northstar, while disappointed to be knocked out of the competition, will take positives from their performance. As a team with aspirations of achieving promotion to League B, putting in such a competitive shift against one of the top teams in League A is surely encouraging. 

  • Full Time:
  • Northstar Orange
  • 1-4
  • Banks O'Dee Albion


Northstar Orange
Banks O'Dee Albion
1. Archie Stephen (GK)
2. Kyle Morrice
3. Rhys Forest
4.Sam Byres
5. Sean Feeney
6. Jake Coutts
7. Tieran Mclaughlan
8. Richard Sandison
9. Joe Stephen
10. Jay Taylor Donald
11. Adam Muir
12. Aaron Bothwell
14. Callum Beedie
15. Michael Ibizugbe
16. Rikki Adamson
1. Calum Davie (GK)
2. Jake Cocker
3. Dylan Boyce
4. Callum More
5.Callum MacGregor
6. Connor Dalglish
7. Stevie Livingstone
8. Scott Milne
9. Corey Stevenson
11. Alfie Knox
12. Connor Macleod (GK)
13. Coby Buchan
14. Harris Clubb
15. Jesse Marinus Goense
16.Brendan Madden
18. Marcel Okeakawa
Star Player
Northstar Orange
Banks O'Dee Albion
Jake Coutts was a part of a defense that did struggle, however it could have been much worse playing against a side two leagues above. Coutts defended well and could not really be criticized for any of the goals. Additionally, Coutts scored Northstars only goal of the game, a fantastic run with a finish to match. Coutts was injured while scoring and still remained on the pitch and played well even after the injury.
Corey Stevenson was possibly the smallest player on the park, but this didn't stop the winger from doing almost anything he wanted for the entire game. Stevenson was a constant headache for Northstar's defense and topped his performance off with a fantastic freekick to make it 2-0.
Magic Moment
Northstar Orange
Banks O'Dee Albion
The Magic moment for Northstar was certainly Jake Coutt's powerful run that saw him run past two defenders before slamming the ball over onrushing keeper Connor Macleod to make the score 2-1 early in the second half. This was undoubtedly the brightest moment in the match for the home side.
Corey Stevenson produced two potential magic moments. While the wingers attempt to take on multiple players, including a roulette to beat one, was nice on the eyes, it wasn't as effective as his free kick. Potentially catching Stephen out from an area that appeared to be more suited to a cross, Stevenson produced a powerful strike into the net from a tight angle.
Club Views
Northstar Orange
Banks O'Dee Albion
Banks O'Dee Albion coach Kenny Clubb - "We started quite slowly playing at the pace that suited Northstar. Once the first goal went in we started to control the game". " We had a couple of young lads playing for us today, the two young lads that came in didn't look out of place" " At Banks O'Dee we expect to go far in every competition, but we will take it one game at a time"
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments