Home My YFS

Jerviston reach semi-finals of Scottish Cup after thrilling win over Mossend

Jerviston F.C 4

Moore 27, 38, Lawlor 50, 80

Mossend F.C 3

Finn 35, 43, Carr 88
  • Sunday, 28 January 2018
  • Ravenscraig Sports Centre
  • Under 17´s
  • Scottish Youth Cup

Jerviston and Mossend met in this eagerly anticipated quarter final of the Scottish Cup, played at Ravenscraig Sports Centre.

Mossend were involved in a thrilling 3-2 victory against St Peters in the previous round, whilst Jerviston came through a similarly tight match as they defeated Dumbarton by the same scoreline in round five.

Both sides struggled to get a foothold in the game early on, with conditions not helping the cause as it was a typically wet and windy afternoon.

The first real chance fell to Mossend after eight minutes, as John O'Hagan had a shot from just outside the box, but it was saved well by the Jerviston goalkeeper Ben McDougall. 

From the resulting corner Mossend really should have taken the lead. Adam Liddell found himself free at the front post but could only put his header wide.

The home side were struggling to get forward and create chances, as their players began to get frustrated with their lack of good play. 

Mossend created another good chance on 25 minutes as Connor McQueen's shot was nearly turned in by Martin Lockhart at the back post. 

Jerviston took the lead against the run of play only a couple of minutes later when Adam Brown made a mistake in the Mossend goal, as he could only parry a Jerviston free kick into the path of Jordan Moore and he had the simply task of heading into an empty net to give the home team the lead.

Nathan McConnell nearly doubled Jerviston's lead with a fantastic strike that went inches wide of the box. 

It didn't take long for Mossend to grab a deserved equaliser, but it came from a defensive mix up at the back for Jerviston. A hacked clearance fell at the feet of Roan Finn who smashed the ball into the back of the net after 35 minutes.

In what ended up being a crazy end to the first half, Jerviston took the lead again only two minutes later as Moore scored his second of the game but this one was far more impressive. After some good skill to beat his marker, he unleashed a brilliant left footed strike from just outside the box that gave the goalkeeper no chance. 

Finn scored his second of the game to make it 2-2 just before halftime, and it came from a wonderful pass from O'Hagan between defender and goalkeeper. Although the goalkeeper pressed Finn, he managed to squeeze the ball past McDougall to make it all square at halftime.

  • Half Time:
  • Jerviston F.C
  • 2-2
  • Mossend F.C

Jerviston began the second half much better than they did the first, with much more possession and pressing, showing that they weren't satisfied with their first half performance. 

The home side took the lead for a third time in this Scottish Cup quarter final, and it was slightly unlucky from a Mossend point of view. Moore again was involved as his shot smashed against the post and Christy Lawlor was there to score from close range to make it 3-2 after 50 minutes.

Jerviston were dominating in the second half much like Mossend were in the first, as the home team continued to pile the pressure on. 

The second half was much less action packed than the first, as both teams looked nervous to make a mistake that might have a major impact in what was such a big game for both clubs.

It was looking more and more unlikely that Mossend would find that third equaliser that had alluded them for the whole second half, despite substitutions being made and a huge effort being made to score. 

Jerviston certainly looked the most likely to score again and that proved to be true with the rain still pouring down at Ravenscraig. 

The home side looked like they had all but sealed their place in the semi-finals with ten minutes remaining, as Lawlor scored his second of the match with a smart finish underneath the Mossend goalkeeper. 

Despite this further setback the away side didn't give up and they set up a grand stand finish with only minutes remaining as Stephen Carr's long range strike was fumbled into the net by the Jerviston goalkeeper.

Despite some pressure on their goal, Jerviston managed to hang on to progress to the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup. Both teams contributed to a fantastic game of football and Jerviston just done enough to go through. 

  • Full Time:
  • Jerviston F.C
  • 4-3
  • Mossend F.C


Jerviston F.C
Mossend F.C
1. Ben McDougall
7. Nathan McConnell
8. Dominic Small
9. Eamonn Higgins
10. Christy Lawlor
13. Reece Cathcart
16. Louis Gordon
17. Jamie Murphy
19. Jordan Moore
20. Dean Bell
22. Abdullah Onal
23. Kian Marshall
29. Robbie Duddy
35. Luke McBride
1. Adam Brown
3. Adam Liddell
4. Connor McQueen
5. Dylan Murphy
6. Aaron Minto
7. Jack Gibson
8. Martin Lockhart
10. Stephen Carr
11. Adam Morrison
12. Jack Docherty
14. Jack Harper
15. Roan Finn
16. John O'Hagan
17. Ryan Whitley
18. Lewis Smith
19. Aidan Clements
Star Player
Jerviston F.C
Mossend F.C
Jordon Moore was the star player for Jerviston. His two goals were crucial to the cause but he was also involved in everything that was good for the home team. Moore was excellent on the ball throughout and his second goal was very impressive. Unlucky not to score a hat-trick when his shot cannoned off the post.
The star player for Mossend was Roan Finn, as his two goals gave his side hope when they needed it most in the first half but ultimately his efforts were not enough. Kept his cool to score twice.
Magic Moment
Jerviston F.C
Mossend F.C
The magic moment for Jerviston was their fourth goal, scored by Christy Lawlor, which effectively sealed their place in the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup despite a late scare.
The magic moment for Mossend was their second goal which came from a fantastic pass from O'Hagan and a good finish from Finn.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments