Home My YFS

Braidhurst leave it late to go through to semis

Airdrie Academy 1

Watson 74

Braidhurst High School 2

Caves 75, Brown 77
  • Wednesday, 25 April 2018
  • Airdrie Academy
  • Under 15´s
  • Scottish Schools' Football Association Shield
It was a game of late drama as Braidhurst came from a goal down to score twice in the final five minutes to beat Airdrie Academy and go progress to the semi finals of the SSFA Shield.
It was a fairly even first half and it kicked off with Airdrie having the first chance of the match straight from the start, Ben Ross was through one on one against the keeper but Ryan Renwick managed to pull off the save.
Braidhurst’s first real chance came with eight minutes played, Dylan Kerr beat his marker down the wing and tried to curl it into the opposite corner from a tight angle but is unlucky as the shot flew past the post.
In an end-to-end first half it was Airdrie who attacked again, Ross saw a chance from range and let fly but Renwick pulled out an equally good save.
Ross was proving to be a real threat coming close on numerous occasions for Airdrie; the Braidhurst defence were struggling to get settled into the match 16 minutes in.
On the other side of the pitch, the Braidhurst attack were linking up well and the build-up play nearly payed off as Robbie Brown was one on one with the keeper thanks to a lovely through ball by Kerr. Brown took his shot early but it was a fantastic save by the Airdrie keeper.
The chances continued to come for Braidhurst, Ross Brownlie came close to burying his shot in the top corner from range but the swerve of the ball took it away from goal.
With 30 minutes played, Airdrie found themselves with the better chances before the break. Aiden Gibb was played through on goal but the onrushing keeper managed to claim the ball before he was able to get a shot away.
The teams would go in goalless and evenly matched at the break. Both having some really good chances and settled well into the game as it progressed in this end to end quarter final. 
  • Half Time:
  • Airdrie Academy
  • 0-0
  • Braidhurst High School
The start of the second half saw chances for both sides, Braidhurst’s initial attack was cleared and Airdrie broke in numbers on the counter attack, Ross got his shot away but Renwick was up to the task of saving it.
A scrappy few minutes followed with some half chances for each team, Braidhurst changed to 3-5-2 and it resulted in some more attacking football, they just lacked the final product which could be said for both sides.
With just over 10 minutes to go, the game was gearing up with both sides looking to avoid penalties.
Braidhurst continued to link up well, Kerr and Brown especially, the pair played an inviting through ball which split the Airdrie defence, it fell to Dylan Campbell who was unlucky not to finish the move.
With nine minutes left Rhys Caves came the closest to scoring so far, picking up the ball from outside the box, he fired his shot which clipped the top of the bar and out for a goal kick. Close!
Despite Braidhurst’s chances it was Airdrie that got the first goal of the match, coming in the 74th minute they looked to have nicked it with 6 minutes to play. Jordan Watson caught the Braidhurst defence napping and got his initial shot away, it was a good save but it was palmed into his patch again, Watson made no mistake this time and fired home to put the hosts in front.
Instead of letting their heads drop, Braidhurst fired straight back with an equaliser from the kick off with five minutes to play. Rhys Caves received the ball from just off the right wing, he caught the keeper off his line and fired a rocket into the top corner, an unbelievable strike who hit the ball as sweetly as possible to put Braidhurst level.
Incredibly, Braidhurst got the winner with three minutes to go, Brown attacking from centre midfield skipped past the defenders before slotting it past the keeper to complete the comeback and put the visitors ahead, a  great individual goal.
Airdrie were unable to respond with a few minutes left to play and it would be the visitors who would progress to the next round thanks to a tremendous comeback.
  • Full Time:
  • Airdrie Academy
  • 1-2
  • Braidhurst High School


Airdrie Academy
Braidhurst High School
2. Lewis Coburn
3. Jack Cournsill
4. Adam Smith
5. Cameron Stuart
6. Jordan Watson
7. Aiden Gibb
8. Adam McGowan
9. Ben Ross
14. Aaron Boyd
15. Stephen Coyle
17. Jack McLoughlin
16. Callum Nelson
18. Callum Shanks
19. Dylan Henderson
20. Lewis McLegan
1. Ryan Renwick
3. Craig Campbell
5. Steven Rodger
6. Grant Mudd
7. Dylan Kerr
8. Rhys Caves
9. Cody McLeod
10. Matthew Barclay
11. Dylan Campbell
15. Kyle Laikowski
17. Ross Brownlie
18. Max Johnston
19. Darren Love
20. Robbie Brown
Star Player
Airdrie Academy
Braidhurst High School
Ben Ross - He was really unfortunate not to be on the score sheet, he looked the most dangerous threat for the hosts and proved it with some really good chances.
Dylan Kerr - The CM played a vital part in ensuring the team progressed, he liked up well with his midfield partners and was instrumental in the majority of the Braidhurst attacks.
Magic Moment
Airdrie Academy
Braidhurst High School
Jordan Watson's goal - He did extremely well to work the ball into a shooting position and to then follow up his shot again to eventually score against the run of play. Good goal.
Rhys Caves goal - Despite going one-nil down, Caves got his side back into the game with an unbelievable strike, from distance and straight into the top corner, the definition of a screamer.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments