Home My YFS
Sunday, 26 May 2013 17:57

Westdyke take Shield after derby win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)



Reid 74
Wilson 90

Reid 14
McKay 19
Edgar 64


U19 Sunnybank Shield - Final
Heathryfold Park

By David Reid
YFS North Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @davereid0

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team.

View Photo Gallery (to follow) | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

A local derby was the case at Heathryfold this afternoon to decide who would take home the 22nd Sunnybank Shield and it was Westdyke who were to get the trophy for the first time in their history after a 3-2 win over Kintore who gave Westdyke a nervous ending.

The Westhillers took the lead in the 14th minute after Cameron Elphinstone played a great ball from the left hand side which was met by ex Kintore striker Tyler Reid who slotted the ball past Jordan Garrow in the Kintore goal.

Dundee United midfielder Stuart Armstrong who has just recieved a full Scotland call up was in attendance at the game. Westdyke were to go 2-0 up in the 18th minute after a wonder strike from Callum McKay after he tried his luck from just inside his own half which evaded everyone and went in.

Kintore had a great chance to pull one back after Craig Turriff played in Ewan Mackie who then had a pop towards goal from 10 yards which hit the post and McLernon managed to hold onto the ball.

Mackie had another chance to pull one back for Kintore after recieveing a through ball from Lee Cooper which he tried to place it into the corner but Bryce McLernon pulled off a great save.

Westdyke nearly had a three goal advantage to enjoy before half time after Jonny Marples's free kick was met by Cammy Elphinstone however his header just went over the bar.

Half Time: Kintore BC 0-2 Westdyke BC

Westdyke then went 3-0 up in the 64th minute after Jordan Edgars free kick found it's way into the far corner of the net via  a slight deflection. The Westhillers seemed to be in the driving seat and claiming the Sunnybank Shield.

Kintore then brought on a substitute to try and create an interesting last 20 minutes to the game and Lee Cooper thought he gave Kintore a lifeline after putting the ball in the net however he was offside.

Another Kintore forward in Glen Mutch tried to unlock the Westdyke keyhole as he broke his way into the box before his effort went over the bar.

The Aberdeenshire outfit did get a goal back when they got a dangerous free kick just outside the box which was taken by Marc Reid and he found the bottom left hand corner.

Westdyke then oculd have re-claimed their 3 goal advantage after Callum McKays free kick found the aerial presence of Cameron Elphinstone but once again the forward flashed his header over the bar.

After a big stramash in the Westdyke box Kintore got a goal back to create an interesting last few minutes with Stuart Wilson getting the final touch. However this was in the last few minutes and then Westdyke were able to celebrate winning the cup.

Full Time: Kintore BC 2-3 Westdyke BC

Kintore BC Westdyke BC
1. Jordan Garrow
2. Brett Webster
3. Daniel Crisp
4. Liam Watson
5. David Singer
6. Stuart Wilson
7. Craig Turriff
8. Lee Cooper
9. Glen Mutch
10. Marc Reid
11.  Michael Watson
12. Ewan Mackie
14. Rory Gerrard
15. Ryan Glennie
16. Jack Wood
17. Ryan Cameron
18. Michael Lamb
19. Lee Brown
20. Brandon Boyle
1. Bryce McLernon
4. Scott Caldwell
5. Danny Murray
7. Jordan Edgar
8. Callum McCaw
9. Tyler Reid
10. Jamie Rodger
11. Kieran Reid
23. Kevin Otto
24. Lewis Milne
25. Jonny Marples
26. Jake Forsyth
27. Jake Cowie
28. Euan Armstrong
29. Cameron Elphinstone
30. Callum McKay

Jordan Garrow made some really good saves to keep Kintore in the game.
Callum McKay scored an absolute wonder goal and also played in the Westdyke forwards with good pinpoint balls.
Dave Elphinstone, Westdyke BC Coach said: "It was a really close game and it was really nervy when there was 7 minutes of injury time. We actually started slowly and we got two lucky breaks to go 2-0 up inside 20 minutes."
Last modified on Sunday, 06 April 2014 19:05
David Reid

David has been a YFS team member since January 2011 and has gone from strength to strength and is now the communications operator for the North region.
As well as his YFS duties Mr Reid also covers other sporting events with newspapers including the Evening Express which is one of the local papers in Aberdeen.
David was the 1st North region reporter for YFS and his experience has helped the other reporters who have joined settle in. In July 2012 David got the young journalist of the year award.
David has been proud of achievements to date and couldn't be more thankful for YFS.

Website: www.twitter.co.uk/davereid0
Login to post comments