Home My YFS

Comeback kings Vale too strong for Glenboig

Hutchison Vale 3

Hunter 42, 55, Mackay 89

Glenboig United 2

Black 2, Hamilton 14
  • Hutchison Vale 3-2 Glenboig United (AET)
  • Sunday, 01 February 2015
  • Middleshot, Prestonpans
  • Under 16´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final

Chris Grieve | YFS South East Region Journalist

Hutchison Vale proved too strong for Glenboig in the end although they had to come from two goals down to win 3-2 after extra time in the fourth round of the Scottish Youth FA Cup. Goals from Jamie MacKay and a double from Kyle Hunter cancelled out Connor Black and Jordan Hamilton’s earlier strikes for Glenboig in a tightly contested cup tie.

The game kicked off in cold but sunny conditions and it was the home side who pressed forward in the opening stages. However, against the run of play Glenboig took the lead. A long clearance from Lewis Smith bounced and fell kindly for Connor Black who lifted the ball over the onrushing keeper.

Straight from the restart Hutchison Vale created a good chance of their own. The ball was worked out wide to Jonny Branks who cut inside and launched a shot goalwards but unfortunately it flew just wide of the near post.

The wind was starting to have an effect on the game at this stage and Glenboig nearly took advantage from a corner. Black swung the ball into the area and Patrick Martin had to be alert in the Vale goals to palm it over the bar. Glenboig almost extending their lead in what would’ve been bizarre circumstances.

The game was really warming up now and was very evenly contested. Hutchison Vale were keen to equalise as soon as possible and were creating a few chances down the left hand side. Ross Waters found space and played a deep cross to the far post where Robbie Polson was inches away from connecting with a header. The Vale were getting closer.

Glenboig were doing well defensively to repel the Vale attacks and were able to hit quickly on the break. One such foray gave them a two-goal lead. A throw-in was taken quickly and the ball was moved at pace to the edge of the box where Jordan Hamilton controlled the ball before turning and firing a shot across Martin and into the far corner of the net. The players’ celebration showed just how important a goal it could be!

Again Hutchison Vale came roaring back and almost pulled a goal back immediately. Waters cut inside but unleashed a powerful drive just over the bar.

Glenboig were still creating chances and they had a good opportunity to extend their lead further. A wonderful through ball found Hamilton one-on-one with Martin but the keeper made an excellent save low to his right.

It was end to end stuff and this time it was Hutchison Vale who were nest to come close on a couple of occasions. Firstly, a freekick from Euan McGuire was curled expertly over the wall but Smith saved well before Fareid Yassein found himself clean through on goal but excellent covering defence blocked his effort for a corner.

  • Half Time:
  • Hutchison Vale
  • 0-2
  • Glenboig United

Into the second half and Hutchison Vale took the initiative in search for a way back into the game. Within minutes of kick off they managed to half the deficit. Yassein was working hard in midfield to secure possession and played a perfectly weighted through ball for Kyle Hunter to latch onto. The striker made no mistake as he hammered the ball high into the net.

The goal really lifted the Vale and they started to play some attractive passing football but some stoic defending from Glenboig kept them out.

Hutchison Vale were beginning to control things in the midfield and through their pressure they created another chance. Some good hold up play from Hunter allowed space for McGuire to fire a low shot from distance but Smith got down well to hold it.

Hutchison Vale were dominating now and Glenboig were finding it difficult to break out of their own half. A quick move from Harry Pullar drew the Vale level. He picked out an exquisite pass over the defenders to the far side where Hunter pulled the ball out of the air before despatching it into the bottom corner. A really incisive goal to open up the game for an exciting conclusion.

Yassein was beginning to find a lot of space and was dictating the tempo for the home side. He was able to break forward at regular intervals and lay on chances for the home side but the winner was proving elusive.

The game was heading into its final stages and Hutchison Vale were able to create another couple of chances. Pullar did well to reach the by-line and cut the ball back but Lewis Wright lifted his shot over the bar. Yassein was next to lay on a chance in similar circumstances but on the far side. Wright again was the benefactor but his shot slid wide of the far post.

Hutchison Vale did well to come back in the second half and were unlucky not to find a winner in the regulation time. Glenboig had defended very well to keep the home side at bay so into extra time we went. 

  • Full Time:
  • Hutchison Vale
  • 2-2
  • Glenboig United
Glenboig started the first period of extra time on the front foot and were pressing forward at every opportunity. They found themselves up against a strong defence who were in no mood to give anything away. The visitors carved out a couple of chances with long distance shots but found Martin in good form to deny them the lead again.

The Vale however came more into the game and almost went ahead from Owen Richardson. He swung a shot to the far post which Smith had to force over the bar at the expense of a corner. The resulting corner found the head of Wright but the ball was just too high to trouble the Glenboig keeper.

You felt that the pressure may eventually pay off for Vale and right on cue they grabbed the lead. Some excellent work in the midfield from McGuire won possession back for the home side before he played the ball out wide for Yassein. He took the ball past the defender to the by-line and cut it back for Jamie MacKay to roll the ball across the keeper into the far corner.

The second period of extra time saw Glenboig try and find an equaliser. They pushed forward and caused a few problems with cross balls into the box but the home defence managed to clear the danger time after time. Glenboig were still playing right to the end to find a way back into the game but Hutchison Vale held firm for the win.

A very entertaining cup tie with some very slick passing from both teams. Glenboig took their chances when they came along in the first half but credit to Hutchison Vale who came back strongly in the second half. They had too much for Glenboig in the end and it is the home side who progress to the next round of the cup.

Final Result: Hutchison Vale 3-2 Glenboig United (AET)


Hutchison Vale
Glenboig United
1. Patrick Martin
2. Harry Pullar
3. Callum MacKie
4. Euan McGuire
5. Cameron Stewart
6. Rayaan Singh
7. Robbie Polson
8. Callum Fitzpatrick
10. Kyle Hunter
11. Ross Waters
12. Jamie Watson
14. Murray Young
15. Owen Richardson
16. Fareid Yassein
18. Lewis Wright
20. Jamie MacKay
1. Lewis Smith
2. Bradley Moultrie
3. Robbie Dempster
4. Kieran Shelly
5. Shaun Robertson
6. Duncan Allen
7. Jordan Tipping
9. Nathan McPherson
10. Connor Black
11. Jonny Branks
12. Jordan Hamilton
14. Sonny Stewart
15. Connor Lindsay
16. Ryan Sneddon
17. Regan Talbot
19. Laurence Jeffery
Star Player
Hutchison Vale
Glenboig United
Fareid Yassein controlled the game especially in the second half and made the home side tick. With two assists (including the winner) and a number of other important tackles and chances Fareid is my star player for Hutchison Vale.
Jordan Hamilton scored a great second goal for Glenboig having a lot of work to do when he got the ball. An excellent turn and shot put Glenboig in a strong position in the first half.
Magic Moment
Hutchison Vale
Glenboig United
The winning goal in any cup tie has to be a magic moment and this was no different. Excellent work winning the possession in the midfield and a cool finish to send the Vale into the next round of the cup.
The first goal of the afternoon was excellent for the away team. A very quick attack to put the visitors ahead and the finish over the keeper was first class. It settled Glenboig and sparked a really entertaining game!
Club Views
Hutchison Vale
Glenboig United
David Liepins, assistant coach from Hutchison Vale, said: "We were second best in the first half, especially the first ten minutes. Glenboig took their chances well but I felt in the second half we were by far the better side, created a lot of good chances, probably should've finished it in regulation time but very pleased to come through it in extra time."

  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments